Author Topic: How to shut off background apps?  (Read 846 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
How to shut off background apps?
« on: August 23, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
Whats the windows command for shutting off stupid background apps, (all except Explorer and sys-something...?)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
I might add, "Permanently shut them off", not just Task manager shut off.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
In Win 98 go to Start>Run> and type "msconfig" in the box. Go to start up tab on the right hand side, I believe. Uncheck anything that you don't want to load when you boot up. Win2k doesn't have "msconfig", you have to do it in the registry I think.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline HottRod

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
You can also download "TweakUI" It has a few other nifty options. It's free, just do a search on it.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
TweakUI can be dangerous....I recall a friend of mine at a Computer Service center telling me that some of the big things that bring frizzle computers to him is...

1)  Cable guy installs Network card...with computer "on", well, in sleep mode.  Zzzap!  You'd a thought the CPU fan woulda been a clue?

2)  TweakUI.  Delete this, that, oh and this too...reboot.  Hmm, why won't it boot...uh oh.   :)

3)  Folks installing their own RAM and not grounding themselves.  Apparently these folks wear their wool slippers, drag them along the carpet, pet the cat, then grab the ram and stick it in the computer.  Oh to have a multitester for such occasions   :)

(msconfig at the RUN prompt is the best way to go)

Also, this Cacheman program seems to work really well too.  Its at http://www.outertech.com/

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2001, 05:40:00 PM »
I use msconfig, for the permanent stuff, and a proggie called End-it-all for the rest.

SKurj

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
Thks all!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gunthr:
In Win 98 go to Start>Run> and type "msconfig" in the box. Go to start up tab on the right hand side, I believe. Uncheck anything that you don't want to load when you boot up. Win2k doesn't have "msconfig", you have to do it in the registry I think.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]

Gunther,

You got a way to make up the multiple boot options in 98 that are this easy?!?!?!  :)

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2001, 09:04:00 PM »
I think that will depend on what mobo/bios you have. For my Asus CUV4X board, I can easily do that in setup under "boot options" or some such. To get there, I just hit the delete key on boot up to enter set up, and choose boot options from there. Hope yours is that simple... g'luck Mav.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
Uh Rip? There's an easier way to stop something from running at Winblows start. Hit www.abtons-shed.com  and grab Tweak All. Once you crank it up you'll see a tab called "Run Programs". Even things that get listed as "services" will show up. Just highlight the entry and whack "Remove", it'll never be run at startup again.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline max621

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2001, 12:27:00 AM »
I use X-Setup... forget where to get it. Really cool, has plugins for all sorts of programs (ok so some of it is simplified for computer beginners, but still cool)