Author Topic: if you could travel back in time to the late 30's, would you?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: if you could travel back in time to the late 30's, would you?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
Don't insult a real hero
Was no insult.....Being the most decorated Soldier in the world...and live...would be quite a thing to experience.

Dont get mad about my posts in other threads :aok

edit:
Then freeze up from total fear on the battlefield and call your commander and whine about the enemy not playing fair ?

lol I use my chain of command...the squad leader would be getting a call first ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:46:47 PM by JunkyII »
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »
Was no insult.....Being the most decorated Soldier in the world...and live...would be quite a thing to experience.

Dont get mad about my posts in other threads :aok

edit:
Then freeze up from total fear on the battlefield and call your commander and whine about the enemy not playing fair ?

lol I use my chain of command...the squad leader would be getting a call first ;)

Mad? This is a game  :lol

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
Enjoy your polio.

Heh.  Exactly what I was thinking.

This is the best of all times there have ever been.

- oldman

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
Heh.  Exactly what I was thinking.

This is the best of all times there have ever been.

- oldman

I think that's a matter of perspective OM. I'm sure there are millions out there that aren't that impessed. They had Polio, we have Aids. And it's not like we get to choose.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:26:29 PM by Bear76 »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
if you could travel back in time to the late 30's, would you go?

what would you do?

Bet on every single sporting event from the year I traveled backed to, to the present.  I'd also patent a lot of stuff from the future and invest in a lot of emergening technologies that in the future would be huge.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
Without Hitler the world would be a very different place.

I'm certain someone different would of taken his place, the way WWI ended cemented this in reality.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Bet on every single sporting event from the year I traveled backed to, to the present.  I'd also patent a lot of stuff from the future and invest in a lot of emergening technologies that in the future would be huge.

ack-ack

Drive to Redmond Washington in 1985 and knock on Bill Gates garage door and fill out a job application.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
I'll let you know in about 27 years.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Stoliman

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
Stop Hitler's madness before it happened.

Interesting premise, Spike.

Would you (rhetorically, non-specifically speaking)?  Could you?  Imagine it is 1937 and you are obviously the ONLY PERSON in the world who knows what is going to happen - the conquests, the death camps, the whole works.  Would you be willing to go in and toss an anti-tank grenade into Hitler's car like was done to Heydrich, perhaps at a parade.....knowing you most likely would be immediately gunned down and never recognized for (hopefully) saving the world from what was to come?

Are we individually that strong to perform such an act?

Pondering.....
Tour 74-122:  Stoliman
Tour 123 - now:  Deke

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
Drive to Redmond Washington in 1985 and knock on Bill Gates garage door and fill out a job application.

Fill out a job application?  Hell, he'd be working for me since I would have already owned the patent for anything Microsoft has created.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Fill out a job application?  Hell, he'd be working for me since I would have already owned the patent for anything Microsoft has created.  

ack-ack

I'd be content with a generous pension and 8 figure's worth of MS stock options they gave early employees. Hell the secretary's retired as millionaires

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »
It's easy to romanticize the past with the benefit of the knowledge we have now about it.  Having had WW2 history as a passion since I was in grade school, I've spent 40+ years 'living' in that past at times.

One of the things that bothers me sometimes is that we've almost trivialized those folks with calling them the 'greatest generation'.   They were just like you and I and they rose to the occasion when they needed to.  To make them more then that to me minimizes their sacrifice.  I do believe my generation or my kids generation are just as capable.  Clearly there are folks out there doing that right now.

I've spent many years researching the lives of aircrew who didn't survive.  They weren't cartoon pilots.  The reality of war quickly killed any notion of white scarves, medals and fancy uniforms.  Surviving and getting home were all that mattered.  None wished for their siblings or children to ever have to go to war.

My latest project is an American who flew Beaufighters with the RCAF.  Enlisted before WW2.  I have a photo of him with the white scarf.  Two years of training and he finally made it to combat which is where he wanted to be.  He lasted less then a month and he and his navigator along with their Beau have never been found.

Would I like to go back and have a look?  Sure. Stepping into that history to see it for real would be amazing.  Would I want to go back and fight that war?  Not a chance.  Old CorkyJr is invincible in AH.   Dan would be anything but back in the 30s and 40s.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

ack-ack

That's my thinking to, imagine how much of the future you could change, make better with what we know now :eek:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Sperky

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
Anybody ever see "The Final Countdown?"

The 80's band from Europe??  I wouldn't want to go back and see that...   lol
Taco Cat spelled backward is Taco Cat