Author Topic: Satalite Internet users....  (Read 2144 times)

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Satalite Internet users....
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
I don't know if this will help . When I had a what I thought was a problem with my dsl router/modem . After having exhausted everything tech support could think of . They sent a tech out to my house , before we tried a new modem/router . He did something called called conditioning my line . For some reason it fixed the horrible connection I was  experiencing .

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
I have satellite. No one has trouble shootin me down

In fact, when collisions occur I'm the one that usually takes the damage even if i get rammed from behind. I guess that means it was the "other" guy's connection that was laggy.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »

Since you have no problem's pinging the 10.0.0.2 address, you've nearly eliminated the possibility of something inside your ethernet network - or in the software in your computer - interfering with your traffic.

But one of the best ways for the  "rest of the infrastructure up to the next router" to be bad is to have things plugged in without the line filters in place where they should be or to have them filtering where they shouldn't be, so while it may be a Qwest problem, the first thing I'd do is double triple quadruple check that there's nothing else plugged into any phone jack anywhere else in the house, and then test.

<S>

What I have is about what you describe. Nothing else is plugged in. No phones, no other PC's, no filters. DSL goes straight to my modem (with integrated router). It has worked for months before this. I started another thread to get my whiney butt out of this one. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,290918.0.html
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
In fact, when collisions occur I'm the one that usually takes the damage even if i get rammed from behind. I guess that means it was the "other" guy's connection that was laggy.

(With much thanks to Tec)

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
I used to have Hughes Net, it was smooth gameplay on my screen but if a plane got behind me and I asked them how far I was from them on "their" screen it would say about a 400ft distance than what was on my screen.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

that cookie smells like arse  :D

Yes, I understand how the AH collision system works and that the plane which passes safely by is not the one that blows up. What I was talking about is what "causes" one system's plane appears to pass by safely while the other system's plane collides (the answer being latency/lag). From my perspective, I tend to (not always) to be the receiver of damage when a collision occurs. In this case, am I experiencing more or less connection lag than the other guy?

I know all to well how lag affects online gaming. That's why I subscribed to AH, I was friggin tired of the horrible lag i got in the Battlefield games.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:32:18 PM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »

Yes, I understand how the AH collision system works and that the plane which passes safely by is not the one that blows up. What I was talking about is what "causes" one system's plane appears to pass by safely while the other system's plane collides (the answer being latency/lag). From my perspective, I tend to (not always) to be the receiver of damage when a collision occurs. In this case, am I experiencing more or less connection lag than the other guy?

I know all to well how lag affects online gaming. That's why I subscribed to AH, I was friggin tired of the horrible lag i got in the Battlefield games.

Apparently you don't get how it works with AcesHigh.

Collisions are decided on YOUR computer.

When a collisions occurs on YOUR computer you should ALWAYS get damage.

The only way lag comes into play is that when you touched planes with your opponent on YOUR computer they might not have touched planes on THEIR computer.  Because of lag the fight looks slightly different to both opponents.

Lag plays no part what so ever in deciding if you have collided or not.  That is all done locally on your computer.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
From my perspective, I tend to (not always) to be the receiver of damage when a collision occurs. In this case, am I experiencing more or less connection lag than the other guy?

This would make more sense if the server would decide about collisions & damage.
But it doesn't.

As the signals have to travel from your enemy's computer to you (and back), it's about total lag - the sum of your both lags.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2010, 05:06:02 PM »
I think the bottom line is that some people have sat as their ONLY choice,and should not be harangued for it..When I had sat,about all I did was bomb due to my ping sometimes..

And guys on sat have a few disadvantages over others which I dont think have been spoke of..The biggest one I can think of is that due to lag,lets say one is trying to take down a town building,or pork a field,on their end they have to use more bullets before they get an effect from them,just because of the lag........Put another way..

If I hit a building now with my current great ping of about 40,it takes not much of a burst.When I would hit them in the past with a sat connection of say 400-700.It seemed to take more,well,it wasnt that it took more,it was the DELAY in seeing the destruction,hence I used to use almost twice as many bullets then as I do now..

Its a killer for those on sat,I would think they really dont like it,But MANY just do not have a choice...

And to those guys I would also say,,Learn to be a great bomber for awhile..lol...that way there is no waste of bombs in the lag time to see the destruction..My 0.02

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »
I have satellite. No one has trouble shootin me down

No, it just means your front end detected the collision and his front end didn't and honestly, if lag did play a part it was on your end.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »
Yeah, I tend to get more of a response if my bullets impact the front half of the enemy aircraft rather than the back. I really hate flying when all of the sudden -BAM- I'm in the tower followed by 5 seconds of sustained machine gun fire. You never know your taking hits at until its too late.

As far as sat connection goes, its the only option I've got. I live about 300 yards from the city limits and our local cable provider stops there. They say it would cost thousands of dollars and not be worth it to run the line out to my neighborhood. 

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

OMG i never laughed so hard in my Life  :rofl :rofl
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch