Author Topic: GV Icons!!  (Read 1417 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
GV Icons!!
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »
Why did Aces High decide to make enemy GV icons visible to aircraft and hidden for GV's on the ground? I know that a few of you are going to come up with your normal put downs, and rude remarks. This is a serious question. I think that it is too easy to spot enemy Gv's from the air. Most guys are dive bombing an icon. I have read alot of past posts about this and many say that Gv's aren't what this game is about. If this is the case than why did they include them in the game?

If a base is flashing and there is no DAR, why not make the enemy aircraft actually hunt for the gv on the ground without the use of any easy to spot icon? I know that this has been discussed before. I just want to know what other players think about this subject>> I am talking about icons visible to enemy aircraft only..

I think enemy Gv icons should be hidden from air planes like they are on enemy ground vehicles. Friendly icons should be seen...
Just a thought.

Let the flaming begin!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:21:09 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: GV Icons!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
IMO it would be way to easy to ambush another gv. Not much fun when you already have the range.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
IMO it would be way to easy to ambush another gv. Not much fun when you already have the range.
I dont think he wants the icon at all.....completely removed from the game for GVs.

My answer to you would have to be low end computers....I have a pretty hard time seeing GVs out side of the icon range as it is.

Good question though, would be interesting to see how the game would change with no gv icons :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
I dont think he wants the icon at all.....completely removed from the game for GVs.

My answer to you would have to be low end computers....I have a pretty hard time seeing GVs out side of the icon range as it is.

Good question though, would be interesting to see how the game would change with no gv icons :salute

You make a good point JunkyII. Not everyone has a high end graphics card on their pc.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
Can't see the icon until we're 1.5 away anyway.

Got to be practically right on top of you to see it.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
All enemy icons are under the vehicle be it GV or plane. When your in a GV you don't have any height so you can't see the icons. Planes how ever have the height and can see bits and pieces of the icons sticking out of the ground. Your vehicle sitting in a hill is on an angle, but the icon info is always horizontal. So while your on an angle the icon isn't so a bit of it sticks out to be see. Moral of the story, don't park on hills.

I think it was the quickest easiest way for them to hid the icons from the GV to GV views when they first switched it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
Figure out a way for me to tell an enemy panzer apart from a friendly panzer and I'm game.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
Figure out a way for me to tell an enemy panzer apart from a friendly panzer and I'm game.

wrongway

Friendly Icons would remain fully visible. Only enemy Gv icons would be hidden..

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »
Icons of any type are to compensate for the poor relationship between what you can see on a monitor vs. what you can see in real life.  It has been stated many times that the default zoom is approximately 1 to 1, whereas what you see without zoom is purposefully made smaller/farther away to help simulate a modicum of peripheral vision in the limited field of view the monitor provides.  Likewise without the icons the lack of and/or distorted visual cues you receive from a 2D monitor would make it very difficult to judge even whether you are closing or not closing the distance to an enemy -- which in real life would be fairly easy to distinguish.

If you've ever flown in a low flying plane or taken a helicopter ride, you will note that ground objects are actually quite easy to pick out.  Take any commercial flight and up to a quite significant altitude you can still pick out individual buildings and cars driving on the interstates.  So from a plane flying at 3000 feet above ground level, picking out something the size of a tank in the surrounding fields would also be comparatively easy, especially if that tank was moving.  So, we have icons on the GVs, too.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »
If I recall GV's were originally put in for AA support. for bases and towns.  People like yourself who like tanks and AFV's started asking for more and HTC went along with it and the ground game evolved from that and now has become entrenched in the game (not a bad thing per se).  No Icons would give those that IMO "game the game" by sneaking on enemy bases and camping spawn points an unfair advantage.

My 2 cents worth
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 02:09:52 AM »

In fact I want the GV icon range to be at 6k range because I'm sick and tired of taking off from a base only to catch that one hit wonder bullet from the flak that I couldn't even see until I was 1.5K away, which just so happens to be the perfect kill range for a flak.

Let's make it fair because if they can see us from 6k away we should be able to see them 6k away.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »
:rofl
Yes a serious question about the GAME. But I always expect a few comments that lack any mental ability. Thanks SlapShot.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »
All enemy icons are under the vehicle be it GV or plane. When your in a GV you don't have any height so you can't see the icons. Planes how ever have the height and can see bits and pieces of the icons sticking out of the ground.

Nope. When I'm in an aircraft looking down at an enemy GV, the icon is always on top, but only visible at distance 1.5K or less. Only enemy aircraft icons are below the con.

I know every computer is different, but with my low-end on-board graphics chipset in my $300 computer, the enemy GV's are very easy to see at dist 5K or more unless they're hiding in barns or trees. My main problem is to see them I have to turn the ground detail way up (I fly A-to-A with all sliders to the far right) to see GV's outside of about 1.5K, but turning the detail up drops my framerate to less than 10... not exactly easy to fly and divebomb with your framerate hovering between 6 and 9.....  :uhoh
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
If I recall GV's were originally put in for AA support. for bases and towns.  People like yourself who like tanks and AFV's started asking for more and HTC went along with it and the ground game evolved from that and now has become entrenched in the game (not a bad thing per se).  No Icons would give those that IMO "game the game" by sneaking on enemy bases and camping spawn points an unfair advantage.

My 2 cents worth

That isn't "gaming the game" thats playing the game.  The guys that lanctucka all the GV's at the spawn because they can see the icon from far enough away they can change their path in time to dive bomb them with 3 salvos of 1000lb bombs  are the ones that are " gaming the game"   You don't need a high end graphics card to hear a GV moving if you kill your engine and if the engine is off and the player is hiding well then i guess you have to decide if your gonna circle and wait him out or move on.

+10000   :aok
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA