Author Topic: GV Icons!!  (Read 1420 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: GV Icons!!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
    I dont see GV till Im already in gun range. Usually its tracers that tip me off...or loud bangs.

I dont have much use for GVs in here. I'm no good in them for one, and for another, they seem like cardboard cutouts. Why he put them in the game? Probably to try to get some of the WW2OL types. As far as I'm concerned the GVs are things to be bombed. Repeatedly.

~AoM~

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
Figure out a way for me to tell an enemy panzer apart from a friendly panzer and I'm game.

wrongway

The smell? <g,d,r>
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »

That isn't "gaming the game" thats playing the game.  The guys that lanctucka all the GV's at the spawn because they can see the icon from far enough away they can change their path in time to dive bomb them with 3 salvos of 1000lb bombs  are the ones that are " gaming the game"   

+10000   :aok

For someone that claims to have played this game for many years, you are pretty much clueless how the game works.  GV icons are not visible from the air beyond d1.5 out, and it's easy to spot a moving dot on the ground.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »
The dot rolling across the terrain lobing rounds isn't id enough?  The only purpose for the icon is to identify gv type anyway.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
I totally agree - you got some that ruin a good tank battle by dropping bombs on ya and they wouldn't have spotted you without the big red flag on ya.  Also someone mentioned low end computer - you can't get no more low end then what I use and I can see gv's from the air just fine without red flags/eny icons.

+1 I like the idea to easy mode for aircraft now
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline AApache

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
For myself personally it is no problem at all to spot a gv on the ground well before an Icon pops up . I pan look out of my cockpit and a BLACK dot rolling across a green terrain can be spotted long before they fire or any icon pops up. you can see the GV due to it not matching the terrain.

From the ground what fun would it be for an icon to pop up with the exact range distance for you to bead in on ! I guess it would be kinda fun if your the one firing but if your on the other end .........    let the whining on 200 BEGIN !!
"WE WEREN'T ASSIGNED WE WERE REQUESTED"....Lt.Col.Benjamin O. Davis of the Tuskegee Airmen 

https://youtu.be/B2sDNT91Rzw

https://youtu.be/KaufhZv84Gk

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »
For everyone that doesn't like enemy icons just hit alt+I until you either have friendly only or none at all.  As others have said you can usually see the moving black dot from distance, but if you have friendlies in GVs how do you tell in it is an enemy or friendly dot?
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »

That isn't "gaming the game" thats playing the game.  The guys that lanctucka all the GV's at the spawn because they can see the icon from far enough away they can change their path in time to dive bomb them with 3 salvos of 1000lb bombs  are the ones that are " gaming the game"   You don't need a high end graphics card to hear a GV moving if you kill your engine and if the engine is off and the player is hiding well then i guess you have to decide if your gonna circle and wait him out or move on.

+10000   :aok
Let me see if I follow your logic . You don't like GV icons because it makes it harder to spawn camp ?

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
Nice whine, but total fail.  Spotting GV's is easy as pie well outside of the 1.5k icon range even with a POS graphics card. 
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »
Nice whine, but total fail.  Spotting GV's is easy as pie well outside of the 1.5k icon range even with a POS graphics card. 

For some odd reason, not for me. I'm almost incapable of spotting them outside icon range. (And yes, I do know about ground view mode ;) )
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
I have to agree with lusche, and this is with numerous video cards over a number of years.

If anything, the giant roaring/rumbling/vibrating thing would be MORE visible than most GVers wish. If GVs are only visible at 1.5k, then they should only see planes at 1.5k as well.

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
I have read many posts where others complain about some guy dropping the FH's during a furball. I have no opinion on that because my fighter scores suck badly and I haven't the skills in a fighter to comment on this subject..  I do enjoy Gv's and attack planes. Tank alley is a good example of the same thing. Tanks show up to have a free for all tank battle. There will always be some guy flying around dropping bombs on your head to pad his scores. The tanks are not trying to take any bases. They are just having a big ground battle. I have dropped eggs on tanks trying to take a base. If your in a tank trying to take a base your a target period. What purpose does it serve in tank alley? No base taking is going on there.  What point is served by going into a gv battle in tank alley and dropping eggs?

There is no skill in that.. Fly over tank alley look for the red icon and drop on it. Take away those red icons from tanks as seen by airplanes could make it just a little bit more difficult to kill tanks. When I am dive bombing, that icon really helps with judging drop altitude.

I like to hide in the trees to conceal myself from above. What purpose does this serve when the enemy planes sees that bi red sign that says M4 on it? A good ground battle is fun because its at times a game of cat and mouse. Listening for sounds, and judging your opponents next move. Nothing is worse than being in a good GV battle or hunt and some plane sees your red icons and drops a bomb on your head. That airplane should at least have to look for his Gv to kill.

With all of the opinions about dropping FH's at a furball, I am sure there are a few concerning this subject as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:46:00 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
There is no skill in that..

Really? Try it.

Landing bombs on moving targets takes practice. Guess where you get practice? You do it. Also, one might also argue it takes no skill to spawn camp other GVs when you have no icons for them to aim at you and stop you. You're essentially hidden until you give yourself away.

GVers that want no outside interference might try playing offline against the runway drones.

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »

Really? Try it.

Landing bombs on moving targets takes practice. Guess where you get practice? You do it. Also, one might also argue it takes no skill to spawn camp other GVs when you have no icons for them to aim at you and stop you. You're essentially hidden until you give yourself away.

GVers that want no outside interference might try playing offline against the runway drones.

This post isnt about spawn camping. And yes you are correct dropping eggs takes skill. My point is that enemy GV's are too easy to spot from the sky because of the red icon. Why did they remove the icon from being seen on enemy Gv's when your in a GV? I just say do the same with planes.

Try dropping on tanks without that distance icon may take more skill I think.

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »
The dot rolling across the terrain lobing rounds isn't id enough?  The only purpose for the icon is to identify gv type anyway.
Even more easy when said gv is around 5-10 other gvs dots lobbing. Sound alone gives you away. :D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:51:10 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins