Author Topic: Tired of Thrustmaster, switching to MS  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Tired of Thrustmaster, switching to MS
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2000, 09:30:00 AM »
Been flying for 4 years now on my MS 3d pro.
Wouldn't trade it for anything else I've seen to date.

However, I am intersted in a good split throttle with lots of buttons (preferably USB) to put together with a new sidewinder Prec Pro (also hopefully USB).

My old 3d pro is starting to show some wear. Although it's still rock solid, no spikes, no drift. Just more slop around the center than when new.

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
One other thing I should add . I try to buy alot of my computer stuff at CompUSA. That way I can try it for a few days and if I don't like it for any reason I can just take it back . Thats something to consider since controller setups are a small investment .

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2000, 08:06:00 AM »
try CH f-16 combat stick......have been using one for 4 years and is still rock solid!  cH guarantees their equipment for 3 years.  I have a CH F-16 combat stick, CH Pedals, and cH pro throttle that allows you to program your cH stick!  MS sidewinder you're asking for trouble with the twist rudder, not realistic anyway if your a die hard simmer, don't recall reading about bong,  or for that matter galland twisting their joystick to activate rudder <G>  I also know that NASA uses the f-16 combat stick for their space shuttle simulator...
- The Flying Circus -

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2000, 05:26:00 PM »
Had the saitek analogue and suffered all the problems with pots and spiking like crazy. Saitek send new pots 2 weeks later spiking like crazy and on and on.
Heard good stuff about the Saitek X36 USB and bought it.
6 months later not even 1 spike "EVER".
It is totally smooth, it may have pots but the signal is completely digital over the USB port and this gets around all the problems i suffered with an analogue pot setup.
For smooth play in AH i have reduced the joystick response around the centre position using the AH config.
If anybody buys one try this as an alternative to Rangerbobs AH setup for the X36 USB only, not the older analogue version.
 http://www.cavalier.cwc.net/DLFiles/aceshigh%20profile.psi  

Its a fighter only config but hey thats what i fly  
The only thing that would improve this for me would be floor mounted rudders.
Btw has anybody seen a bad report of the X36 USB ?  
Ignore all references to the older analogue version cos that was a piece of crap but they sure learnt what to correct.
Oh and make sure you DL the latest version of the saitek install program and DO NOT load the version that comes in the box as last i heard the latest version corrected a lot of bugs.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
I have had the analog X36 since late 1997.  I finally got it working about a month before the USB version came to market.

To clean spiking pots, I took the stick apart and took the cap off the pot.  Next I soaked a piece of paper with denatured alcohol and wiped the paper between the carbon and wiper of the pot.  It took 2 or 3 times before all spiking stopped, but it was the resolution to the spiking problem!!!

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2000, 05:00:00 PM »
I was tired of my old Thrustmaster F22 Pro and Tqs due to constant problems and no support.

I went with the only USB Throttle and Stick available on the market. The Saitek x36 combo is an excellent choice for someone switching from Thrustmaster. The feel is better and the set up will be very familiar. This excellent combination has numerous hats and buttons for you to program. You won't like switching from a throttle and stick to just a Stick, and there just aren't enough buttons to program on the MS sticks.

I highly recommend this stick and you can download my Saitek profile from the Download page. A new profile with the new Padlock views etc has been sent and should be available for download soon.

Make sure you get the USB version as the analog one has all sorts of problems for some reason.

Ranger Bob

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2000, 02:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys. Seems X36 USB might be a good choice. 6 months no spike at all ???!! Impressive !

So, how about rudder pedals working with X36 USB. Any tips ?

aircat

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2000, 04:27:00 AM »
 http://www.stickworks.com

the problem with X36+external pedals and a file to fix them!

seems I will be going same route but will hold onto my MS Pre Pro incase I cant stand the other stick.... or to teach my wife to fly with.. (hehe I will then finaly be able to get my agressions out on her   )

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
The x36 USB and rudder pedals are an excellent choice.

I used this stick with old Thrustmaster analog pedals and it worked fine. I am now using it with CH USB Pedals and it works even better.

The pedals are easy to set up in AH by going to setup joystick area and assigning the pedals to the rudder.

If you have an analog set of pedals you need to set them up as another stick in Windows. Aircat's suggestion to get the stickworks file sounds great. I have it, but don't need it in AH with USB pedals.

Be aware that other flight sims may not be set up to use USB sticks and USB pedals.

Hitech has programmed Aces High to make it as easy as possible to set up USB pedals.

You'll love them

Ranger Bob

aircat

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
 hmm I should have been more clear... the earlier files primarily for X36 USB with gameport pedals. usualy the rocker button on the stick is the rudder and does not like to give ups its job. I wish there was more USB pedals out on the market :O( but the only I've found are CH Pro USB but they look a little close together for me.

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2000, 07:03:00 PM »
Just as a note, I've used both the Thrusmaster pedals and the CH USB Prop Pedals. I too was wondering about the pedals looking to be a bit close together, but I much prefer these CH Pedals over the Thrusmaster ones.

Ranger Bob

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
Have used MS,(not enough buttons) Logitech (not enough buttons) and now X36 combo which is great... also using the German Hoff something rudders which have worked great thou they are only gameport... X36 is USB by the way

LJK_Reschke

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
My $.02 in this one.  I have used TM gear for several years and have only had one bad experience with it.  I bought a F-16 FLCS when they first came out and it shipped with bad POTs.  However I called TM and they cross shipped me a new one overnight and I was up and running in no time.  The one I have now is identical to the setup I had then which is a F-16 FLCS, TQS and RCS (metal ones not Elite).  I have heard some people ran into some serious problems a couple of years ago.  I did not have any TM gear then and have no idea what the problems were other than what has been listed here.

I have had this setup since Febrauary of this year and have not had any problems out of it at all.  I bought it in "almost" new condition then and when I got it I broke it down and cleaned and tightened just to check it out.  

I ordered some new POTs the other day just because I like to have a spare set for an emergency.  I am waiting on the next generation of HOTAS from Guillemot/TM to show up soon I hope.  It is supposed to be optical with USB connections and possibly Force Feedback in some versions.

------------------
Maj. LJK_Reschke
Jagdbomber I-31, StaffelKapitaen JaboStaffel Ein
Kommandeur Jagdbomber, LuftJagerKorps
www.luftjagerkorps.com

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2000, 12:33:00 AM »
MSFF and hoffman pedals here. But as pointed out above, ya really need a throttle in this game.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
The "Bob Church" digital chip upgrade for the F22 and the FLCS put life back into my 10 year old, changed the pots once FLCS.

Rock solid!

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"Who's next?"
Naso