Author Topic: spawn crash?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: spawn crash?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »
Well here's an addition. Got back to spawn. no one around. friendly confirmed. Got a 'Captured'. So what's the deal with that if I had damage or not. Didn't get killed or crash or ditch. Is there somewhere HTC has written this stuff down or are they just wingin' it? How would we ever know? Drive all the way to the friggin' base? And maybe not even get a successful landing there? At least make it 2k and concrete safe.

Viking, I think you may be on to something here.  I saw someone complaining on text about this same exact thing.  He was in a wirbel and got his main gun blown off.  Drove back to the spawn and was 99% confident he was more than 6K away from any enemy.  He claims he completely stopped, then towered out and got a CRASHED message as well.  I dismissed this as what other people had said... someone being nearby, etc... however now that I think about it I don't think that was the case.

First of all, he didn't get any "you have been killed by XXX" messages.

Secondly, when I get impatient and tower too soon (while still moving) I always get a DITCH message, not a crashed message

And lastly, I don't recall ever seeing "you have crashed" while in a GV... NEVER

I wish I had paid more attention to where this was and what map and what base and all that, but unfortunately I didn't even think about it at the time.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
It was my understanding that if you got back to the yellow arrow (your spawn point) you got a successful landing.

Your understanding is incorrect, when ending sortie in a GV the location of that little yellow arrow on the map has no bearing on the outcome whatsoever.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:53:19 AM »
Viking, I think you may be on to something here.  I saw someone complaining on text about this same exact thing.  He was in a wirbel and got his main gun blown off.  Drove back to the spawn and was 99% confident he was more than 6K away from any enemy.  He claims he completely stopped, then towered out and got a CRASHED message as well.  I dismissed this as what other people had said... someone being nearby, etc... however now that I think about it I don't think that was the case.

First of all, he didn't get any "you have been killed by XXX" messages.

Secondly, when I get impatient and tower too soon (while still moving) I always get a DITCH message, not a crashed message

And lastly, I don't recall ever seeing "you have crashed" while in a GV... NEVER

I have gotten plenty "crashed" results - always when I tried to ditch/land my damaged GV with enemies around. And it's quite easy not to notice non moving GVs or low planes at 5-6k

Then, you don't necessarily get a "killed by XX" message if you get a "crashed" or "captured" result from enemy proximity. The proxy kill range is considerable shorter than the "prevent safe landing" range. If there's an enemy  4k away for example, he won't get the kill (unless he had pinged you earlier)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 03:10:08 AM »
Well here's an addition. Got back to spawn. no one around. friendly confirmed. Got a 'Captured'. So what's the deal with that if I had damage or not. Didn't get killed or crash or ditch. Is there somewhere HTC has written this stuff down or are they just wingin' it? How would we ever know?

We know, like many other things, by experience. ;)

In your case, you experienced that your friendly was wrong, and there had been an enemy around - it's just none of you noticed (Which is very easy to happen).

Like Tec already said, the spawn itself has no influence on mission outcome.

GV landing rules:

First, a definition: Friendly territory= closest base is a friendly one. Enemy territory = closest base is an enemy one. CV's count as regular bases too! Contrary to popular myth, being inside of any dar circle doesn't matter, it's ownership of closest base that counts

In friendly territory:

On base pavement: Always "landed", regardless of damage or enemy presence
Not on pavement/concrete and undamaged - "landed" if no enemy around, "ditched" if there is an enemy present.
Not on pavement/concrete and damaged - "landed" if no enemy around, "crashed" if there is one  (Note: I'm not 100% if it's about heavy damage only or if even a shot off pintle gun is sufficient)

In enemy territory:
Neither pavement/concrete does matter, nor the spawn point. It's all about enemy proximity:
No enemy around: Always "landed"
Enemy around: "captured", or "killed by XXX" if he was close enough to get the proxy kill. (Note: Once I have gotten a "crashed" result in enemy territory but was not able to duplicate it yet, so it might had been a bug)

Any corrections or addition welcome :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:20:54 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
We know, like many other things, by experience. ;)

In your case, you experienced that your friendly was wrong, and there had been an enemy around - it's just none of you noticed (Which is very easy to happen).

Like Tec already said, the spawn itself has no influence on mission outcome.

GV landing rules:

First, a definition: Friendly territory= closest base is a friendly one. Enemy territory = closest base is an enemy one. CV's count as regular bases too! Contrary to popular myth, being inside of any dar circle doesn't matter, it's ownership of closest base that counts

In friendly territory:

On base pavement: Always "landed", regardless of damage or enemy presence
Not on pavement/concrete and undamaged - "landed" if no enemy around, "ditched" if there is an enemy present.
Not on pavement/concrete and damaged - "landed" if no enemy around, "crashed" if there is one  (Note: I'm not 100% if it's about heavy damage only or if even a shot off pintle gun is sufficient)

In enemy territory:
Neither pavement/concrete does matter, nor the spawn point. It's all about enemy proximity:
No enemy around: Always "landed"
Enemy around: "captured", or "killed by XXX" if he was close enough to get the proxy kill. (Note: Once I have gotten a "crashed" result in enemy territory but was not able to duplicate it yet, so it might had been a bug)

Any corrections or addition welcome :)

Addition, maybe?

I have "crashed" on concrete, damaged, with enemy around more than once.  At least once tracked, so i know it wasn't movement related.

And, as far as "enemy around", you can land successfully on an enemy base if no one is there.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay