Author Topic: CH Fighterstick - Calibration?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
CH Fighterstick - Calibration?
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »
Are there some settings on the computer that affect calibration?  I have a CH Fighterstick, and it has been getting progressively worse at holding calibration.  I calibrate it in Windows, and in AH, and it still goes out of calibration in less than 5 inutes, making me continiously re-calibrate it during flight?  It is only about a year old, and is only used about 15- 20 hrs a month for AH.  Any ideas on why it might be doing this, and what I could check?  When its working correctly,  I really like it.  I'd like to figure out the problem, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!
John

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: CH Fighterstick - Calibration?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
This might sound odd,but how's it connected to the computer?  Via a powered hub? non-powered hub?  Direct to the motherboard? 

Since potentiometers are at the most basic level voltage dividers, one of the most disruptive things that can happen to them is to be subjected to fluctuating voltage level.  And if your power supply is marginal, or you are overloading the USB bus, then voltage to the stick can be all over the map.

Oh, and duct tape (or black electrical tape, if you want a less permanent test) the trim wheels in place in the exact center.  A nearly undectable movement in the trim wheel can (easily) cause a 5 to 10% difference in where the "center" is.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Ghastly,
I've tried it both ways - powered hup, and directly to the PC via one of the USB ports on it.  I've checked the trim wheels several times, as I have found them "adjusted" by the kids before.  I disconnected it today and replaced it with my old X45 - and it is rock steady with no fluctuations, so I'm leaning toward the problem being in the joystick itself.  Any ideas on how to check the JS out by itself? Maybe I need to send it back to CH and have them check it over.

Thanks for the ideas!

<S> John

<S>

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
Are you on the latest drivers? Got caught out on this one my self a while back.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
Ghastly,
I've tried it both ways - powered hup, and directly to the PC via one of the USB ports on it.  I've checked the trim wheels several times, as I have found them "adjusted" by the kids before.  I disconnected it today and replaced it with my old X45 - and it is rock steady with no fluctuations, so I'm leaning toward the problem being in the joystick itself.  Any ideas on how to check the JS out by itself? Maybe I need to send it back to CH and have them check it over.

Thanks for the ideas!

<S> John

Does it lose calibration when you're not playing anything?  

Are you using the latest version of Control Manager (v4.51)?  

Have you calibrated each assigned axis in Aces High (Map Controllers section in AH, click on Calibrate Axis button) or just the basic AH calibration routine?  

Have you checked to see if the wires are loose on the potentiometers in the stick or if the contacts are dirty or properly seated?

After you've calibrated, is there a 'dead spot' when you move your stick?  What I mean is, do the numbers change from (for example) 5 then jumps to 20 or higher without registering the number values in between?

Have you tried the stick on another machine to see if it exhibits the same behavior?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »
I now never unplug anything and always use the same USB ports it stopped any nonsense :old:
I calibrated in CH software and AH :old:
The best way to set the wheels was to sit in B17,s rear gun and and adjust wheels until gunsight became stationary :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:14:24 AM »
Ack Ack,
is there any specific reason to upgrade to the newest control manager from CH?

I myself am using something like 4.20 or 4.21.......  and have had no problems ( outside of throttle slider going bad in past few weeks, on my CH Pro Throttle - USB type )

all other CH Controllers have always seemed to work perfectly fine.....

I did read over in the CH-Hangar Forums where I thought it mentioned 4.5 version or maybe one closer to that version was buggy..... could be wrong though......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
Ack Ack,

I myself am using something like 4.20 or 4.21.......  and have had no problems ( outside of throttle slider going bad in past few weeks, on my CH Pro Throttle - USB type )

I did read over in the CH-Hangar Forums where I thought it mentioned 4.5 version or maybe one closer to that version was buggy..... could be wrong though......

I've always hated the CH Control Manager and have all my CH gear mapped within AH.  I do calibrate everytime I enter AH just to be sure.  I know... I'm old and control manager can map everything but the automatic buttocks wiper but AH has enough buttons I can map and you folks will find that getting older than dirt can make ya lazy as heck. hehehehe

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
I don't have the buttock wiper in my options menu, is it in the new update? :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »
Ack Ack,

CM 4.51 fixes a lot of issues with the 4.2xx versions, if you run scripts it's recommended to update to 4.51.

ack-ack

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
Does it lose calibration when you're not playing anything?  

Are you using the latest version of Control Manager (v4.51)?  

Have you calibrated each assigned axis in Aces High (Map Controllers section in AH, click on Calibrate Axis button) or just the basic AH calibration routine?  

Have you checked to see if the wires are loose on the potentiometers in the stick or if the contacts are dirty or properly seated?

After you've calibrated, is there a 'dead spot' when you move your stick?  What I mean is, do the numbers change from (for example) 5 then jumps to 20 or higher without registering the number values in between?

Have you tried the stick on another machine to see if it exhibits the same behavior?

ack-ack

Yes - CM version 4.51.
Yes - calibrated numerous times.
IDK - have no idea what a potentiometer is . . .
Not sure about the dead spot - but IIRC, yes, there is.
Don't have another machine to try it on, but have used another stick on this machine (X45), and it works fine.

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »
With CHCM you can make a script to fly to target and drop bombs while you are doing your butt thing. :old:
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »

IDK - have no idea what a potentiometer is . . .
Not sure about the dead spot - but IIRC, yes, there is.

If you see a dead spot like I described that is usually an indicator that there is something wrong with the potentiometer.  The problem could be the pot is going bad, it's out of alignment, wires not connected properly or the pot contacts are dirty and need to be cleaned.  If you open the base of the stick, you'll see to small metalic cyndrical devices with some colored wires connected to the contacts.  Those are the potentiometers that send the electric signals to the computer when you move the axis on the joystick. 

You can try cleaning teh contacts with a contact cleaner (available at any hardware store or Radio Shack) to see if that corrects the problem.  If you clean the contacts, remember to take note which wire connected to what contact.  While you're at it, make sure it's seated properly and you reconnect the wires properly on the contacts.  If the dead spot remains afterwards then I'm sorry to say that the potentiometers are most likely bad and your next option would be to order some new ones from CH and replace them.

ack-ack

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
i just got the ch fiterstick 1 week ago.  I am already sorry I ever got it.  I never had this many problems with my x52.  calibration is out of controll.  i taped the wheel, have powered usb, latest drivers and it is worst than my x52.  go figure.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
i just got the ch fiterstick 1 week ago.  I am already sorry I ever got it.  I never had this many problems with my x52.  calibration is out of controll.  i taped the wheel, have powered usb, latest drivers and it is worst than my x52.  go figure.

semp

Semp,

If it's new I would suspect that it's a defective one.  Try switching the powered USB hub to another USB port.  I would be calling CH support and return it as they are known for lasting years upon years.  One more thing to consider is that not all powered USB hubs are equal and some do NOT displace the proper voltage.  I believe that Belkin ports are the most reliable as they follow the power specifications to the letter.  Try just running it on a regular USB port and see what happens, if it works OK, get yourself a belkin powered hub.

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!