Author Topic: New Sata Drive not recognized in My Computer  (Read 451 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
New Sata Drive not recognized in My Computer
« on: June 17, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
Just installed a 2nd Sata Hard drive. The bios found it and windows found it upon start up but its not showing up in my computer. Any advice?

Addendum: Discovered disk management. Its formatting now. However, I wanted three partitions. Can I partition into 3 after formatting?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:41:47 AM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Sata Drive not recognized in My Computer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »
Yes
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Just installed a 2nd Sata Hard drive. The bios found it and windows found it upon start up but its not showing up in my computer. Any advice?

Addendum: Discovered disk management. Its formatting now. However, I wanted three partitions. Can I partition into 3 after formatting?

you should be able to partition it however you like, what OS are you useing? 

windows 7 seems easier to do partitioning more so than Windows XP  OS...... after the initial install /formatting of the new HD

I myself use the following, but it is a bit pricey "Paragon HDD Manager™ 2009 Pro" , however I have not needed this when using win 7, only use it on windows XP OS's......but all the features of the above prog is very nice to have....

hope this helps.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:13:37 AM »
you should be able to partition it however you like, what OS are you useing? 

windows 7 seems easier to do partitioning more so than Windows XP  OS...... after the initial install /formatting of the new HD

I myself use the following, but it is a bit pricey "Paragon HDD Manager™ 2009 Pro" , however I have not needed this when using win 7, only use it on windows XP OS's......but all the features of the above prog is very nice to have....

hope this helps.....

I'm using Windows XP. I just discovered (I tell you I am not with the program these days) that Acronis home will do that and I have the program already. Doh! Anyway, I plan to partition it into 3 partitions, back up the computer that crashed, then restore the data to the old computer once its rebuilt.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
Holy crap! I ended up with drives E through I. Some as small as 1.99 GB. That's not how I played that out in my mind. What I want is around 250 GB, 250 GB, and then the remainder. Any advice.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
delete the partitions then make first partition 500.  That way u'll have two 500, then split each again to 250.  That's how I did mine.  For so.e reason I couldn't do 250 at the beginning.
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »
delete the partitions then make first partition 500.  That way I'll have two 500, then split each again to 250.  That's how I did mine.  For so.e reason I couldn't do 250 at the beginning.

After way too many attempts I got it right and ended with the correct number of partitions.

I have another question. I was unable to do a data backup of the external drive, which is the drive from the comp that crashed. So I had to make an image of it. In doing so I omitted the OS from the backup. The new mainboard is different from the other mainboard. So I was wondering if a restore would work? Is there a way I can make it work?