Author Topic: My PC freaks me out  (Read 677 times)

Offline Guinness

• Zinc Member
      • http://wakeup.to/guinness
My PC freaks me out
« on: August 25, 2001, 12:03:00 PM »
my PC:

Asus P3B-F mainboard
P3 500
128MB 100mhz memory
Voodoo5 5500 64MB
1x 8GB SCSI drive 1x 4GB SCSI drive
Windows 98
ADSL connection

my Problem:

If i leave my PC unattended for 30 minutes it goes into standby mode.  Black screen, almost as if power saving, if i move mouse it clicks back.

what ive done:

Ive been to control panel and changed power to "Always-On" and system stand by to "never".  Ive also gone into my BIOS setup and changed the power saving to none.

other strange goings on:

Sometimes it wont come out of this hibernation thing, and i have to turn it off at plug, mainly i leave it too long in this mode, if im quick enough with the mouse i can bring it back to desktop.  Then it wont restart after that.

So does anyone know of any hidden power saving features that ive missed?  Or has a voodoo5 and has the same thing?  Or maybe its an Asus thing?  Im getting to the point where im paranoid and think my ISP is making my PC crash to stop me leaving my PC on 24/7....anyone had this problem before?

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Guinness ]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2001, 12:14:00 PM »
You have to disable power settings on the Motherboard.. be sure to disable all related to power savings, including the HDD power down, power saving, etc.

In windows you must do the same (control panel->power management). As added precaution, disable the PowerProfiles in msconfig. On some motherboards, disabling in hardware profile (in Device Manager->System Devices) the power savings feature also helps.

And dont put a screen saver. They baaad.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »
Start > control panel > power > set hard drive and monitor power down to never.

Also right click desktop > properties > screen saver > monitor advanced power management > set it not to go into power saving mode.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Sounds like its a BIOS setting.

Take TAC's advice.

SKurj

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
Do not know about asus but I have seen motherboards that have a jumper to allow the bios to use the power up/down features.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Guinness

• Zinc Member
      • http://wakeup.to/guinness
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2001, 01:59:00 AM »
Ill check my mainboard manual for any jumper settings.  Im pretty sure ive set the BIOS to no power saving, and in Windows too.

Thanks for the help.

Guinness

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2001, 05:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by bloom25:
Also right click desktop > properties > screen saver > monitor advanced power management > set it not to go into power saving mode.

that's what i did

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
I'll repeat what others have said about BIOS settings.

And why aren't you using Windows 2000?

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Make sure you get the update for original version of W98, it has an APM bug that causes problems w/o the patch.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
My PC freaks me out
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tac:
And dont put a screen saver. They baaad.

Screen savers of the flying toaster variety were cute back in the 80's when there were monocolor monitors that quickly burned your desktop image permanently into the tube.  :eek: These days most people think that modern monitors don't suffer from burn in problems, but that just isn't true.  I've got two 21" Viewsonic PF810 FD Trinitron monitors at work that show nothing but network monitoring information all day 24/7 with no screen saver or power saving mode enabled.  After about 8 months of use, they've both got bad cases of burn-in.

Granted, screen burn takes much longer with newer monitors and most home users don't leave their computers showing the same image for months at a time.  But having the monitor shut itself off after 30 minutes of inactivity can be a good thing.  So I wouldn't sweat it turning itself off, unless you really want to know how to make it submit to your will and not turn itself off.  ;)