Author Topic: VOX Discipline  (Read 2186 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Re: VOX Discipline
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 03:59:17 PM »
Lots of good posts here and it seems that a lot of people are in favor of more meaningful communication.

It only takes a little bit of thought and it pays off big time.

I was noticing this weekend a trend that I find alarming. I was flying into a obvious hot spot (you could see dots on the dar) and NO ONE was talking. This is kind of the inverse of excessive chattiness.

This is also a great place to just start giving check sixes and showing an awareness of the airspace via VOX. I often find that when people start doing that the useful chatter kicks in. In my squad, when we enter a fight with other allies around we shift from squad vox to range so that everyone benefits from the communication.

Do you you guys have any favorite techniques for getting that going?
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline ntjunior

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
I still don't use VOX cause English isn't my native language, so my speaking skills aren't good. This way I'm kinda affraid bothering the others with my terrible accent and my limited vocabulary. So, what do you think? Should I try using VOX ou just keep my mouth shut?  :lol
I really want to try but I am not really confident doing that.
Opinions please!
Thanks

JrRush64
Still learning...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »
I still don't use VOX cause English isn't my native language, so my speaking skills aren't good. This way I'm kinda affraid bothering the others with my terrible accent and my limited vocabulary. So, what do you think? Should I try using VOX ou just keep my mouth shut?  :lol

If that's all that's keeping you from using vox: Screw it and start to talk.   :old:

After all, native speakers do not hesitate to bother us with mindless non-play drivel, play-by-play reports, or high pitched voices ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:47:35 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
I still don't use VOX cause English isn't my native language, so my speaking skills aren't good. This way I'm kinda affraid bothering the others with my terrible accent and my limited vocabulary. So, what do you think? Should I try using VOX ou just keep my mouth shut?  :lol
I really want to try but I am not really confident doing that.
Opinions please!
Thanks

JrRush64

I say bring it on man!  I'm not at all bothered by even very strong accents and minimal English.  It's probably also a good way to learn a bit more of our language too.  Start slow, be short and to the point as best you can, and then as you get more comfortable, branch out. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »
There are two major causes for folks going silent in a fight.

1. They don't have controls and/or keys mapped to allow vox transmit while doing the tasks associated with flying and looking around. Either they physically just can't do it because of the way it is setup or the way it is setup they have to look away from the screen to find the transmit key. With a new student in the squad I cover setup and make sure the player can do the following: Fly, select all 17 views, and talk at the same time. They had to prove it. You cannot have the same finger operate any view and the transmit button.

2. The second issue is task overload. Many people cannot concentrate fully on flying their best fight and talk at the same time. Everybody reaches task saturation at some point and talking is one of the first things to drop off. We see this in real world aviation. It is one of the first symptoms of decreasing situational awareness. If the other pilot is busy working hard and isn't answering your verbal inquiries, he is probably at task saturation and needs you to help him with his SA. If he isn't answering and he doesn't look busy, he may be dead.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »
I wrote an extensive article on this very topic a few years ago for new folks...Enjoy...

Zazen's VOX Protocol Guide

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,242181.0.html
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
I wrote an extensive article on this very topic a few years ago for new folks...Enjoy...

Zazen's VOX Protocol Guide

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,242181.0.html

Wow man, haven't seen or heard from you in a long while!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
Wow man, haven't seen or heard from you in a long while!

Yea, I have a 1 year old son now. Kinda eats into the ole' discretionary free-time... :old:
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
Yea, I have a 1 year old son now. Kinda eats into the ole' discretionary free-time... :old:

Yeah I bet it does!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
mics are quite annoying, theirs not much to talk about or say other than a check'6, which just makes it easier for people, i hardly use a mic anymore, not my "cup of tea".

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 09:09:04 PM »
Lots of good posts here and it seems that a lot of people are in favor of more meaningful communication.

It only takes a little bit of thought and it pays off big time.

I was noticing this weekend a trend that I find alarming. I was flying into a obvious hot spot (you could see dots on the dar) and NO ONE was talking. This is kind of the inverse of excessive chattiness.

This is also a great place to just start giving check sixes and showing an awareness of the airspace via VOX. I often find that when people start doing that the useful chatter kicks in. In my squad, when we enter a fight with other allies around we shift from squad vox to range so that everyone benefits from the communication.

Do you you guys have any favorite techniques for getting that going?

not everyone has mics. I thought you were talking about discipline on mic use ? not communication ? it really does not matter who does and who does not use a mic. its just a game, not a real time life deal, making people use a mic is not nice, I've had many people actually force me to get a mic and talk. i did finally get one, and my biggest saying is "check'6", that's pretty much all i say, you might as well just use the check-6 button.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:25:37 PM by Buck »

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »
not everyone has mics. I thought you were talking about discipline on mic use ? not communication ? it really does not matter who does and who does not use a mic. its just a game, not a real time life deal, making people use a mic is not nice, I've had many people actually force me to get a mic and talk. i did finally get one, and my biggest saying is "check'6", that's pretty much all i say, you might as well just use the check-6 button.

He doesn't mean communicate as in BS about stuff.  He means communicate as in talk about incoming threats and give checks and such.  Basically when you have several people all communicating about the state of the battle, it really starts to shift your way in short order.  Everyone has a much better mental image of the situation.  That helps everyone's situational awareness tremendously. 

Using the check button is just fine, there is just the smallest little detail about it that gets me.  There is a delay from the time that you  hit the button to the time that the message gets sent and shows up.  Sometimes it's a second or so.  That time can get you killed sometimes.  A vox check6 is much quicker. 

If you don't like to talk and use vox, that's totally all right man.  Of course you don't have to.  It's just helpful in fights when more people do. 

Personally, when I'm outside of a fight area, I like to BS with people some, but once the bad guys show up, all that stops.  To each his own however.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 08:44:08 AM »
Using the check button is just fine, there is just the smallest little detail about it that gets me.  There is a delay from the time that you  hit the button to the time that the message gets sent and shows up.  Sometimes it's a second or so.  That time can get you killed sometimes.  A vox check6 is much quicker.  

A vox check can have the same kind of delay before it reaches the other guy.

I absolutely prefer the check 6, it's not only quick, but it's sure the pilot really "gets it". Warnings over vox can come garbled, too low in volume and so on.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:45:50 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
A vox check can have the same kind of delay before it reaches the other guy.

I absolutely prefer the check 6, it's not only quick, but it's sure the pilot really "gets it". Warnings over vox can come garbled, too low in volume and so on.

Yes, there can be a delay in both; I agree.  For example, my son plays the game too (same squad), and we have our computers in the same room.  I often hear him give a vox check to someone only to hear it in my headphones up to a second later (sometimes even a tad later).

That said, I use both the mapped ck6 key and/or vox check, depending on the situation.  Sometimes you just shift your view in time to see a guy about to get in trouble, I hit the ck6 key; it's faster.  Sometimes, if you've got a little more time, you do the key check, but can also give a guy just a bit more info, (e.g.," madda, 109, long six...") on vox.  It's all circumstance-based in my case.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
theirs nothing wrong with mics, and theirs nothing wrong with the check'6 button...

I'm just saying theirs no need to make people use mics if they don't want to, some people might be having a bad day, and a person who starts shouting out loud check'6s !! is not really cool, people just want to enjoy fighting we some peace at times, it would be insane to have mic chat and mic checks all the time anyway, I'd get annoyed if such a thing would happen.

You might as well just use a vox with your squad buds if you need good communication.