Author Topic: skin viewer help?  (Read 736 times)

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
skin viewer help?
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
ok so i downloaded the skinviewer and im still exploring but when i want to pull up a skin when i click browse and look for the skin i want in the aceshigh skins folder it says the file had no materials or something like that but not for sure, i know im doing something wrong i always do when it comes to this stuff. any who has had this problem before and fixed plz let me know what to do, or if you know how what to do pm and walk me through it thanks all

67COUGAR <S>

RedTail

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: skin viewer help?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
You only browse for the stdshape.res file. This is in the root Aces High directory. You have to create your own skins folder and put the proper files in it. Once there you simply scroll down the list of planes in the drop-box at the upper right, choose your plane, then select the name of the folder with the skin in it from the secondary drop box immediately below this.

See the link in my sig for a webpage with a guide on how to create skins. If you don't care about creating new ones and just want to know how to preview, skip to the appropriate section.

Note: You cannot view existing skins in the skins viewer, only in-game. The skin viewer is for working on custom skins, rather than admiring the already-accepted ones.

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »
ok will do krusty it seems to me you have all the answers about this stuff thanks and <S>

RedTail

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
Well, I've had a lot of practice with the skins viewer :)

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »
Well, I've had a lot of practice with the skins viewer :)

ok yea another questions where do you actually make the skin from scratch in the skin viewer or in something else

RedTail

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »
There's a number of steps. Basically (and this is for anybody reading, as well) you make the skin in a graphics program, and you export it in such a way that AH can display it.

You can edit a skin without the skin viewer, it just takes a little longer (you have to start up AH and preview it in-game, which is what I had to do when I first started skinning). The skin viewer just displays what the game normally would, so that you can make multiple edits and check progress without having to jump into the game repeatedly. It's only a mini-window of the game, so it cannot edit anything.

For more details, here's a webpage I put up with a skinning tutorial on the main menu:
http://www.nakatomitower.com/skins