Author Topic: Geforce 3 Ti 500 lockups in AH and....  (Read 2469 times)

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
Geforce 3 Ti 500 lockups in AH and....
« on: November 18, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I just bought a PNY Geforce 3 TI 500 and I have an issue with it.  I'm getting lockups in all 3D games including AH.   3DMark2001 lockup in the high detail Dragonic scene.  AH will lock up about 10 to 15  minutes into the game.   It's acting like it a heat issue so, I took the time today to pull the Heatsink off to see what was under it.   I found just a typical heatsink pad which I removed and replaced with Artic silver II.  After Reinstalling the card I find I still lockup at about the same places and times.   I'm pretty much ready to take it back, but I thought I would see if maybe i'm missing something that someone here can set me straight on.

My system is:
1.2 ghz AMD Athlon Tbird ( not over clocked)
512 SDram Pc-133
GeForce 3 Ti-500
30 gig Maxtor 7200rpm HD
Sony DVD
Zip CDRW
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
SupraMax 56k  V.90 modem
300 Watt PSU
Biostar M7VKD Motherboard
Via KT133A chip set
4.35 Via 4 in 1 Drivers
21.81 nVidia Drivers
Windows XP Pro
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
I read really good things about that card on Tom's Hardware.  If its locking up after 15 mins, then I'd agree with your diagnosis that heat buildup (or something) is the cause.

You didn't mention this but are you over-clocking?

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2001, 08:11:00 PM »
No it's not over clocked,  I even "throttled back " the Core and the mem 50 mhz ...still get the same thing.

Vati

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2001, 09:28:00 PM »
I have the exact same card and am experiencing the exact same problems. It seems that I will either lock up or get dropped right back to desktop, no warning, nothing. Happens at random intervals for me, can be 5 minutes or 2 hours. I don't think heat is the issue as my case is open and the card is placed so there is plenty of open air around the heatsink/fan.
I thought it may have been an issue with either DX8.1 or the video drivers I am using but since now there is another person out there experiencing the same thing I am less inclined to think this.
Look at my score and time in flight and you can see the number of discos is very high for the time in game.

Hope this gets fixed... bought this card over the internet and I'm not too thrilled with the 15% restock fee's.

Lonz

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2001, 10:00:00 PM »
BT,

Are you running XP ?
I have seen some mention on the net of problems with the G-3 and winxp.  I also  have a Win 98 Partion on my machine.  I have the exact same problem in 98 also.  

I just finished pulling the card out anyway.  It's in the box and i'm shipping it back to the place I bought first thing in the morning.  I really can't tell ya how disappointed I am with this experince.  :(  It's amazing to see the Differinc in colors and in FPS only to have it lockup in mid flight.   what a shame  :(  
Vati

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2001, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm not running XP yet. The only thing holding me back is I heard that CH Speedkeys program will no longer function... that and I am nearing the threshold of my wife's tolerance for the pc upgrade.

It truly is a shame about this card. If you are sending yours back I may as well do the same. It seems the other manufacturer GF3 Ti500 cards do not have this problem.

Playing this game at the max resolution in 32 bit color I have yet to see the frame counter drop below 45fps where I have it set. That includes furballing low over smoking fields. The immersive factor goes up by a value of 10!

Lonz

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2001, 11:25:00 PM »
I've heard bad things about PNY cards, I would suggest buying Asus, Elsa, Gainward or Leadtek brand card.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Lonz and Vati. I had ordered the same card from Mwave a few days ago. Luckily, they were out of stock and the card would not have shipped until the 26th. After reading this thread tonight, I quickly fired off an e-mail asking to exchange the PNY card for the Leadtek version. And it seems the Leadtek card is in stock as well.
 30 dollars more but it sounds like it is worth the extra cost.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2001, 02:59:00 AM »
BT,

Yep, you here right. Speed keys does not work in winxp.  That is the primary reason for the win98 partion on my hard drive.  I like Win XP, but I like my CH Fighterstick, Pro throttle, and Pro Rudders better  :)

Vati

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2001, 07:41:00 AM »
You didn't by any chance try a set of official or certified drivers did you?

Check my sig.  Use detonator destroyer and drop back to a certified driver version.  For the GeForce 3, I'd recommend the 14.10's or the 12.41's.  Any other driver version is Nvidia Experimental Drivers... not certified and much more likely to cause you problems.

If you use beta drivers expect problems.  Don't assume it's a hardware issue until you put a certified set of drivers in.  And make sure you follow the procedure on the Detonator Destroyer page to switch to older versions.

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Leph,

A heads up for you.  Det Destoyer does not work on winxp.

I did try other drivers including the ones that came with the card ...no luck ..they all lock at about the same time.  The only change in the timeing of the lock up was  after I replaced the heatsink pad with Artic Silver.  After that it took 5 minutes longer before lock up.

Vati

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Just a though: Athlons needs lots of power and I've heard lack of juice can give you some strange lock-ups, CTDs etc.
When I built my own system friend who builds computers told me to buy 350w just to be sure there's enough power if/when needed.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
Yep, I know Det Destroyer is only 98/Me.  Shame they don't have a version for 2k/XP.

Well, if you've tried the drivers, it's time for hardware.  Have you tried opening your case and pointing a big desk fan at it?  The suggestion about power is probably a valid one as well.

Also, make sure you aren't driving your RAM too hard or anything like that.  Your not OC'ing your FSB are you?  I know you said your not OC'ing, but best to check anyway.  :)

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
I am running a GF3 with no problems and get 50-85 fps in AH at 1024x768 and 32 bit color.I use the only certified drivers supported by Alienware, the 12.41. I also ordered it with COOL MAX video cooling fan in the side of the case. My power supply is only 300 but now Aienware uses 350. I am using ME on 1.4 Athalon and 512 megs DDR.
DJ229  :)
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Asus GF3 V8200 TI500 using 21.81 drivers with no problems at all, well except for insane FPS  :)
So sure seems likes its a manufacturer specific problem.