Author Topic: WinXP - to pro or not to pro?  (Read 502 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WinXP - to pro or not to pro?
« on: October 17, 2001, 04:27:00 AM »
Just wondering what would the difference be between Home and Pro versions? So far I know that Home needs to be activated by M$ and Pro seems to be self-activating... What else makes up a difference in price?

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2001, 07:19:00 AM »
Many other features.
Go to microsoft.com to look for the differences.

I suggest you go with the Pro

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
There are not that many differences. Mainly, the Home version supposedly doesn't support encryption of files (pretty useless at home anyway if you don't protect your local account with a password), remote control of the pc, and extended network possibilites for making a local network (not needed by most people; the Home edition does allow you to make a local network at home, but supposedly has fewer possibilites). I have not explored those capabilities.

But get this: if you replace 8 files on the XP Home CD with equivalent files from the XP Pro Corporate version (which doesn't require activation), and install XP with the modified CD, that "Home" version thinks itself a "Pro" version and all features that are not supposed to be available in the Home edition, are available. (Which some chaps on French binaries newsgroups did, because they only had access to a French Home edition, but had access to a US Pro Corporate edition.)

Personally, I think the Home Edition is sufficient for most needs. The supplementary features are not worth the price for a home user. It's basically exactly the same OS, but with fewer features.

But take care that drivers and software are available for your joystick. Saitek doesn't plan to release an XP compatible version of its software before the beginning of next year.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: DrSoya ]

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2001, 02:32:00 AM »
Do tell DrSoya  ;) 8 files? Hmmm... On the other hand I was planning to get my company to "evaluate" XP anyway :D.

Home edition is advertised on UK eBay for 50 quid boxed vs £90 in the shops. Looks like an enterprising supplier makes use of government sponsoring for training...

Question is whether the "upgrade" version of XP is going to work the way all previous versions did - that is, ask for a CD of a version you are supposed to be upgrading from rather than upgrading over previously installed version...

Saitek is not an issue anymore as I've finally decided to "come back home" and have ordered CH Pro Throttle and Fighterstick to go with my Pro Pedals and Flight Yoke (all USB)...