Author Topic: Attention AvA Staff........  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Attention AvA Staff........
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »
Thanks for the work you guys do for this arena.

:salute

I have more fun in an hour in the no icons AvA than in a year in the MA.

:rock

:aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Attention AvA Staff........
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:07:03 AM »
Ditto!  What Dawger said!   :salute  Thanks again for all the great effort!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:10:40 AM »
I'm glad you guys like it, I'm enjoying it too.

Offline Fianna40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the work you guys do for this arena.

salute

Agreed. This is a neat place, and I'm slowly learning.  :airplane:
"This is it chaps" - 'Paddy' Finucane

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »

Good fights last night, Dawger, you're very adept in that 38!

Yes, the no icons thing has turned out to be a significant change for the better.  It really does have a profound effect on how people fly and fight.

- oldman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 03:27:43 AM »
I found jappa and another wingman popping just inside dar ring.  I had just finished with an awesome 1 vs 1 with Eagler, and managed to bleed all his fuel from his wings  :salute

At first I was under the impression that the pair was a bomber formation missing a drone (that's how tight they were maneuvering) and without icon, I was wondering how fast those Ju88s were. :lol

I was able to get into range and land some .303 blows before the pair split and the fight was on!  :joystick:  It was an awesome run, ended by jappa's cannons and a drink for me and my hurri.  :salute

I appologize for my quick exit after that, my connection often discoes me and wasn't able to get back in before I left for work.  Still 15 or so minutes with 4 or 5 players actively flying in the arena is a blast.  It beats MA play on any day.  :rock

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
Yeah we hadn't split out tactical yet and you caught us with our eyes glued forward. I saw the 303/death of a thousand needles hit and pass over my cockpit a we went at it. Was a lot of fun  :rock

We learned that 109Es have a devil of a time with hurris if everything is equal and if the hurris have a tad bit of alt 109s are in bad shape. Cant out turn, cant out run and no zoom climb. Need to be on your toes and be sure to try and get a shot on em early with our cannons. Dont think we landed kills all night lol

It was a blast as usual. See you guys there  :salute
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
Who was the wingman Jappa?  That was some impressive formation flying.  I swear you had a drone  :rofl  I was actually surprised when I saw you two split, I actually believed it was some sort of new Axis secret weapon bomber formation that HTC had added or something.  I was rubbing my eyes to see if I could make out a single engine JU88 formation.  I wish I had filmed it.  The thrill was in the hunt, because the kill came way too soon for me  :confused:

Offline Kung Fu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
Tuesdays when you guys fly?  I'd like to get in there and mix it up when there are some numbers.  This might get me flying regularly again.
  Jagdgeschwader 11

"Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »
Tuesdays when you guys fly?  I'd like to get in there and mix it up when there are some numbers.  This might get me flying regularly again.
Where you been Fu? The squad has been looking for you, or have you jumped ship without notice?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »
Chilli,
That was me on the wing with Jappa.  We always fly real world formations appropriate for the situation.  When you did that great sneak up on our 6, we were in a "fingertip" formation, normally used for en route  through areas of low visibility or no threat.

Typically, when approaching the threat area, we take a slit into a line abreast tactical formation that offers optimum mutual support and deep six coverage for each.  You caught us unaware until I noticed tracers flying by between us  :x .  At that point we went into a tac split.

When out of a threat area, we normally rejoin to fingertip for the trip back to base and do either a pitch off initial or a formation landing.

We also do fingertip formation takeoffs on each departure.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:29:53 PM by Puma44 »

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
boy i need to catch you guys, i don't use tracers!!  :D

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »
boy i need to catch you guys, i don't use tracers!!  :D

From what I've seen of Jappa and Puma winging together I'm not so sure no tracers would matter much.

Nice formation work by those guys and they understand the concept of mutually supporting fields of vision and the importance of beginning any engagement in the proper formation.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
Dawger,
There's really nothing all that cosmic about tactical formation.  It's just a basic visual lookout formation that works; real world and in here.  Just a matter of applying it.

Yaeger,
Well, "tracers off" works well if one is consistently lethal with the first couple of rounds.  With the first couple of "pings", game on and tactical maneuvering comes into play with effective mutual support.  Tracers on or off doesn't matter at that point.  A tally on the bandit pretty much nullifies the tracer issue.  If a good sneak up on someones deep six that isn't checking six works(like Chilli pulled off on us the other day :O), it doesn't really matter once the trigger is pulled.  Boom, game over.  It is interesting to hear the whining in the MAs when someone gets violated from deep six and no one called a check six for them.  Your six belongs to you and no one else.  If you aren't checking it frequently and someone sneaks it, then you've failed yourself.  Yeah, it's great when someone else can, at random, check it for ya.  Just another valid reason to fly formation and practice mutual support...all the way to the end of the landing roll.
It's all, as called in the real world, "technique only".  :aok

That was some great flying "in the phone booth" with you guys the other day with the Hurri's and us in the 109s.  That Hurri is a tough one to maneuver against in a slow turning fight.  :salute

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
Dawger,
There's really nothing all that cosmic about tactical formation.  It's just a basic visual lookout formation that works; real world and in here.  Just a matter of applying it.

Simple in concept but it is amazing how hard it is to get across to other folks in game how such a simple thing makes a huge difference. Element (wing pair or section) tactics start from an assumed starting point of combat spread (usually) yet very few folks in game have the inclination or ability to maintain that simple formation.

Folk want to move on to the "good stuff" but the good stuff requires a solid foundation to build on. You can't really fight as a team if you are flying in girl scout trail formation all the time.