Author Topic: Attention AvA Staff........  (Read 1536 times)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: Attention AvA Staff........
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Went and flew in there for a while the first time ever today.  Had a good time, really enjoyed the no icons.  Makes killing stuff with the Hurri a lot harder, as it's hard to tell in a fight if you're really close enough for the bbs to do much work.  Had a couple of really long and fun 1v1 fights.  I'll definitely be coming back, good times!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 12:53:54 AM »
Went and flew in there for a while the first time ever today.  Had a good time, really enjoyed the no icons.  Makes killing stuff with the Hurri a lot harder, as it's hard to tell in a fight if you're really close enough for the bbs to do much work.  Had a couple of really long and fun 1v1 fights.  I'll definitely be coming back, good times!

You can actually approximate distance using the gun sight. The best way to learn to do this is to fly offline in the airplane you plan to fly (Hurricane in this case) and setup the offline drones to the target aircraft and fly towards them. Using your normal seat position note at what range the wingtips stretch across the gun sight circle. Generally, a 109 stretches across the circle at about 150 yards. This is going to vary a bit with head position. Closer to the sight and the target has to be closer to fill the gunsight. Farther away has the opposite effect. A good rule of thumb is small single engine fighter is within 200 yards when the wingtips touch both sides at the default head position. Bigger wingspan means farther away when it touches both sides.

And this is how the pilots had to determine range in reality so it makes it that much more fun.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 01:42:28 AM »
All good points, Dawger.  Jappa and I most frequently see the "Girl Scout formation" as you call it (and aptly so).  I think that will be our new term instead of "in trail".

You are absolutely right.  Mutual supportive formation is essential for survival and success in any engagement. For instance, in this screen shot, it's pretty clear who has mutual support and not.

As you term it, the "Girl Scout formation" isn't working well here.  Well, maybe for the guy right behind Jappa until he runs outta grapes behind him.......

All gave some, Some gave all