Author Topic: BB GUNS??  (Read 681 times)

Offline wakes

• Zinc Member
BB GUNS??
« on: June 18, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »
I got to buy a bb gun for my pop. Last bb gun i had 30 years ago was a pump job (crossman) I think... More pumps,, the more power... had some good kill capability's for tweetys, rabbit etc.

I am clueless on today's toys ,, so here what i'm looking for...., something u dont pump (co2 , gas,battery, etc),  Assult Weapon (full auto),,  & accuracy........... and quite

wants to get some target practice on some of his pest in the back yard.....   I just think hes getting to old to drag out his equipment and go to the range.
I'd like to get something in the 2 to 3 bill range.

any input would be greatly appreciated 

Semper Fi

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: BB GUNS??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
My only input would to be careful with the phrase "pump job".  :neener:

All I can tell you is that I have a beeman and it's nice, but it's a barrel cocking version.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
You could start here sir  <S>

http://www.bbgunworld.com/

or here     http://www.airgundepot.com/

To get full auto i think you may suffer in accuracy though
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:03:17 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
BB-61

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »
I am curious now why you are looking for full-auto, it seems like semi would be the best choice for accuracy and "pest control."
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »
I got to buy a bb gun for my pop. Last bb gun i had 30 years ago was a pump job (crossman) I think... More pumps,, the more power... had some good kill capability's for tweetys, rabbit etc.

I am clueless on today's toys ,, so here what i'm looking for...., something u dont pump (co2 , gas,battery, etc),  Assult Weapon (full auto),,  & accuracy........... and quite

wants to get some target practice on some of his pest in the back yard.....   I just think hes getting to old to drag out his equipment and go to the range.

Semper Fi

My childhood weapon of choice and they still make 'em, was my Sheridan Blue Streak. It fires a 5mm pellet, not a bb, and is plenty powerful and accurate enough to kill sparrows, grackles, crows, rabbits, squirrels, etc. It also makes a nice weapon for dispatching old models - or even special ships you've built and motorized and fitted with watertight compartments, only to destroy them in a stoned orgy of destruction over at your buddy's pool.

I'd issue one caveat on the Blue Streak: do NOT "John Wayne" a wounded, flopping bird with the stock. I did it twice. The result: two cracked stocks.

I'd also add, the Sheridan is a bit cruder/cheaper than the Gamo single-pump models. You can shop all of 'em at the Cabela's site.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
You can pick up a .22 pellet rifle easily in the $200-300 range that fire in the 800-1,000fps range.

If you use PBA ammo you can hit 1,200fps+.

A .22 long rifle fires a 40 grain led bullet at @ 1,200-1,300 fps for comparison.

My uncle had the blue streak.  Good gun.  I had a Crosman 766 American Classic.  Loved that thing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:45:11 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
Agree with Lute here. .22 is the way to go. If you get the .22 short rounds, it pretty much sounds like a BB gun too.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
I am curious now why you are looking for full-auto, it seems like semi would be the best choice for accuracy and "pest control."

I'd have to agree.  I'm also a bit skeptical regarding CO2 cartridges when it comes to accuracy. 

For pests, accuracy and efficient killing power are the two most important qualities.  Most critters that fit the "pest" description are small, jumpy, and quick.  If you miss on the first shot, your opportunity is gone.  If you can't get the job done on the first shot, when the critter is unsuspecting and rather stationary, a semi-auto sure won't help.

A shotgun, rat trap, or 5 gallon bucket would all be more effective than a semi-auto BB gun.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
.22 short with a "sound mod" on the end, otherwise it sounds like someone cracking a whip.

Try one of these out:

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/co2/AS1077T

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benjamin/BP2263
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »

Semper Fi

You'll shoot your eye out kid

OEF 11-12

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »
.22 short with a "sound mod" on the end, otherwise it sounds like someone cracking a whip.

Try one of these out:

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/co2/AS1077T

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benjamin/BP2263

.22CB's are much quieter, and are very effective at close range.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
BB-61

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that should get rid of them pesky ground squirrels.  :O
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
Precharged is the way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWLSrsKGixA
See Rule #4

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
.22CB's are much quieter, and are very effective at close range.
CB caps RULE, like mnt said, aboot the same volume as a high-end pellet rifle, but much mo UMPH at close range.   elfy
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000