Author Topic: Saitek X36 'Happiness':  (Read 849 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« on: December 11, 2000, 07:58:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help on this board and websites I visited.  Especially RWY for the rudder help and Rangerbob, my own squaddie, for the command file that I altered to suit my needs.

Everything is programmed (figured it out after squeaking about it for 2 hours) and rudders are hooked up and I'm a very happy camper...though I do have a couple of questions about USB sticks , particularly this X36:

Do they have 'Pots'?  (I would venture to guess no since they are not analog) and if NO, then it there anything that  will 'wear out' in regards to X/Y axis?

The hats seem alittle weak, I can see where I will probably need to replace them, is it difficult to replace them, and, what is the customer service like at Saitek?

Again, great community, thanks for all your help! <S>

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 12-11-2000).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »
Dunno about pots and all, I have worn out/broke my forward right/forward left views on my 8 way switch, one on right lower on stick. I reprogrammed the 4 way hat on throttle left/right for these views as I use the left hat on stick in 4way mode for zoom view controls. I also use the wheels for elevators/trim as I am use to them for that. I'm too stupid to remember all the programming possibilities so I'm adding them slowly, ie just added the map zoom to that throttle 4 way hat when in mode two. Love the X36 combo and Ch peds.

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2000, 08:11:00 AM »
Looks like the X36 is the lastest Virus for FlightSimmer  
One more !

Do they have 'Pots'? (I would venture to guess no since they are not analog) and if NO, then it there anything that will 'wear out' in regards to X/Y axis?
My guess is that the pot are optical like in the latest mouses and I've an explaination but as I'me unable to translate some concept this is an exercise left to the student  

The hats seem alittle weak, I can see where I will probably need to replace them, is it difficult to replace them, and, what is the customer service like at Saitek?
I was afraid they will broke but after using them without any caution for 6 month I'm confident they won't broke  or they will already have  

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
Hossa rips,

be sure they have pots ;(

blitz

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2000, 10:05:00 AM »
Heya Rip,

Pots like every common stick...  

My X36 recently has gone out of trim - mailed Saitek support - 4 days later a pair of new pots in the mail.

Migman has a great page about disassembling and repairing the X36: www.migman.com

Now I just have to do it myself... uh oh, not very experienced in molding.  

Kirin
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
Thks for replies guys, Kirin, I'll bookmark that for the inevitable. Thks!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2000, 03:15:00 AM »
BAH Saitek sucks.

How I long for the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals all in USB...

Four more months.

Til then either no flying or flying with old Spike Lee fighterstick.

BAH, x36.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2000, 05:35:00 PM »
Hey Santa, if you got the USB X36 then suck it does not, you just gotta persevere and either learn to program it (not easy at first) or get a ready made stick config like Rangerbobs and either use it or alter to suit.
Considering its the festive season and all that i guess i should finish with,
Bah Humbug !

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2000, 03:49:00 AM »
I'll just sit tight til CH Fighterstick USB gets out.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2000, 05:58:00 PM »
I originally purchased my Saitek x36 for use until CH came out with their good USB stick and throttle.

I've been waiting for the better part of a year now and at the price I paid for this Saitek x36 USB Combo it was the right move.

Now I may never switch to the CH stuff even when it comes out. A year ago they indicated it would be out in just a few months. If it ever comes out?

Ranger Bob

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2000, 05:03:00 AM »
x36 does not work with Win98 release 1 even with updates (USB part) . Pain in the a***

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »

Originally posted by -lynx-:
x36 does not work with Win98 release 1 even with updates (USB part)  . Pain in the a***  

Skuzzy at the Con updated my Win 98 to the latest, whatever that version is...mine works fine.  I do have DirectX7.01a, and V1.04 for Saitek's program.  You HAVE to make sure you install WITHOUT the stick plugged in.  If you didn't do this, UNPLUG the stick, use the NUKEUSB utility, uninstall the Saitek program, re-install V1.04, then re-boot, plug Saitek back in, and then go to Win JS and load the Saitek calibration program if it hasn't done so automatically for you.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
Saitek X36 'Happiness':
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2000, 06:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by -lynx-:
x36 does not work with Win98 release 1 even with updates (USB part)  . Pain in the a***  

You can always plug the X36 to your gameport.  

Have you read Ron Hunt's comment on Win98 First Edition vs X36 USB?

He says you can order a Win98SE CD from Microsoft for $20. Oooh... you're in the UK.

Here's a tip. Do you know a friend with a copy of Win98SE and a CD writer? A Win98 First Edition's product key will work in Win98SE...  

I'm myself using a French Win98SE, with a - rightfully purchased   - US Win98 First Edition's product key. If MS had really wanted me to buy the SE upgrade, then they should have made Win98SE not recognize a First Edition's product key!

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)