Author Topic: America at the World Cup?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
Re: America at the World Cup?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 06:36:21 PM »
title changed :aok
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
Masherbrum must have tried out for the soccer team and got rejected.   :neener:

No, I'm just not so hung up on "National Pride" that I put blinders on and think they're actually "anything more than an average team".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
     It does sound like serious sour grapes ever time this topic comes up K.  As I have said before, I have
never liked FIFA...they refuse to admit mistakes or compromise.

One thing interesting about the World Cup is that Europe gets 3-4 times as many slots as the rest of the world.
Very curious, hmm?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
I like our chances against Algeria.  That is a team we should beat providing we stop giving up 1st goals.  I think Altidore still has a chance to be a factor in future games (provided we win to advance).  I'd put Dempsey up front with Altidore.

But hey, any team is as good as their last result.  Just look at Germany.  They dominated 1st game and now they suck cause they lost their 2nd game.  As some would say.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »
    It does sound like serious sour grapes ever time this topic comes up K.  As I have said before, I have
never liked FIFA...they refuse to admit mistakes or compromise.

One thing interesting about the World Cup is that Europe gets 3-4 times as many slots as the rest of the world.
Very curious, hmm?

That is because European Soccer is a higher bar and better developed than the rest of the world.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
Altidore needs to be benched. he is about as useless as a striker can be.   

The US if they advance, will not last long.

Altidore played a crucial part in the 2nd goal by his post presence to bradley.  You don't have to score every game to be a valuable asset to a team.  Just look at Luciano (Brazil), no goals in a few games and scores 2 yesterday. 

I agree they wont last long as long as the defense falls asleep like they do in the beginning of games.  It's been dissapointing because several months ago they were way better than now.  But, they are as good or bad as the last result so we'll see what happens Wednesday. 

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 08:10:55 PM »
That is because European Soccer is a higher bar and better developed than the rest of the world.
Also because there are a heck of a lot more football playing countries in Europe than other continents.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »
Also because there are a heck of a lot more football playing countries in Europe than other continents.

That too...

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
     Yep, you can fit alot of postage stamp size countries in a place the size of Europe  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
:cheers:    Same here on the US thing, but I am a realist and do NOT buy into the "hype" of our Team.   
In the confederate cup USA beat Germany and was beating Brazil 2-0 but Brazil came back to win 3-2. The US is a better than average team but played below average first half. In the world cup after watching Germany play in the opener round I thought they would be one of the main contenders, however after their loss to serbia I now think that Brazil is one of the few teams to show enough consistency to win the World Cup. While I do not think the US will win it, I do think that when they have the proper mindset they can play competitively with the best.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 11:10:44 PM »
     Yep, you can fit alot of postage stamp size countries in a place the size of Europe  :D

The postage stamp sized countries are doing better than the big ones right now. But seriously, who would you say deserves to be in the World Cup more than - say - Slovenia?

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:32 AM »
I think the US will do pretty well depending on if they will beat Algeria and who their next opponents would be.

Cant really count anyone out though in this World Cup, with the Serbia vs Germany the prime example.  Hell even North Korea gave Brazil a run for its money.

When I was London on my 2nd to last day, I was downtown watching the US vs England game and most people, there as much as they wanted US to lose, kept saying watch out for the Americans, its going be real close.  So even the Englanders are aware of the US apparent chances.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
If you cannot pass/dribble...."speed" is pointless.   

The accuracy of the USA's passing could be rated at piss poor or less.  These guys really need to work on their SA.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
If you cannot pass/dribble...."speed" is pointless.  

hence the part " Technical Ability "  
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
Come on.   I watched the 1st half and on Slovenia's 1st goal, Howard didn't move an inch.   They did sh*t for the 47 minutes of the 1st half.   To gripe about a blown call is pointless.   They f*cked around the 1st half and it bit them in the arse.   Altidore needs to be benched. he is about as useless as a striker can be.   He's absolutely a pain to watch, the ball is either whiffed/missed by him 9 times out of 10.   

The US if they advance, will not last long.

Howard was out of position on that goal, true, but they're no way Birsa should have had all that space.  It wasn't all Howard's fault, the defense should have closed Birsa down.

And I don't know what you're watching but Altidore is having quite a good World Cup.  He's being played as a classic target forward which means he's getting the ball with his back to goal most of the time, and then he has to either hold it to wait for support for the midfield, or turn his marker, which he's done a few times quite nicely.  

Findley was the problem up top - thankfully he's out for the Algeria game.  Like to see Buddle in there, but I won't complain if they just go with the second half side against Slovenia with Dempsey and Altidore as strike partners.

As others have pointed out the real problem is holding the ball and passing.  Maybe with Feilhaber in there they'll settle down.  Edu on the other hand, goal-non-goal notwithstanding, did not look comfortable out there.  But again I won't complain if they go with the second-half lineup.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.