Author Topic: America at the World Cup?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
Re: America at the World Cup?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
Howard was out of position on that goal, true, but they're no way Birsa should have had all that space.  It wasn't all Howard's fault, the defense should have closed Birsa down.

And I don't know what you're watching but Altidore is having quite a good World Cup.  He's being played as a classic target forward which means he's getting the ball with his back to goal most of the time, and then he has to either hold it to wait for support for the midfield, or turn his marker, which he's done a few times quite nicely.  

Findley was the problem up top - thankfully he's out for the Algeria game.  Like to see Buddle in there, but I won't complain if they just go with the second half side against Slovenia with Dempsey and Altidore as strike partners.

As others have pointed out the real problem is holding the ball and passing.  Maybe with Feilhaber in there they'll settle down.  Edu on the other hand, goal-non-goal notwithstanding, did not look comfortable out there.  But again I won't complain if they go with the second-half lineup.

I might be in the minority but I would give Torrez and 2nd chance in center mid for his possession skills.  Maybe he can come off the bench.  If Dempsey moves up front, I like to see Holden in at wing.  IMO
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
Howard was out of position on that goal, true, but they're no way Birsa should have had all that space.  It wasn't all Howard's fault, the defense should have closed Birsa down.

And I don't know what you're watching but Altidore is having quite a good World Cup.  He's being played as a classic target forward which means he's getting the ball with his back to goal most of the time, and then he has to either hold it to wait for support for the midfield, or turn his marker, which he's done a few times quite nicely.  

Findley was the problem up top - thankfully he's out for the Algeria game.  Like to see Buddle in there, but I won't complain if they just go with the second half side against Slovenia with Dempsey and Altidore as strike partners.

As others have pointed out the real problem is holding the ball and passing.  Maybe with Feilhaber in there they'll settle down.  Edu on the other hand, goal-non-goal notwithstanding, did not look comfortable out there.  But again I won't complain if they go with the second-half lineup.

Altidore is overrated and is someone who should not be "inside" up front.   One assist means squat, I'm sorry.   When the ball was kicked to Altidore in that 1st half, he lost the ball.   The identical thing happened to him in the 1st game against England.   Coach Bradley looked like a confused mental case that 1st half against Slovenia.   He should have had those "attacks" made defend-able in the 1st half.   It shouldn't have taken a Halftime speech to light a fire under their tulips to finally play like they gave a damn.  

Howard was NOT out of position, he was where 99.99% of GK's would stand on that Free Kick (middle of the net).   But, he never moved once the ball was kicked.  Sh*t, shuffle your feet, attempt to look like you GAF and dive, if even for naught.   But he stood there like a statue.   I don't have to watch a replay of it, because I remember it.   It was a soft goal and was DEFINITELY save-able.  

Again, they will be eliminated, if they even advance in the first.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
Altidore is overrated and is someone who should not be "inside" up front.   One assist means squat, I'm sorry.   When the ball was kicked to Altidore in that 1st half, he lost the ball.   The identical thing happened to him in the 1st game against England.   Coach Bradley looked like a confused mental case that 1st half against Slovenia.   He should have had those "attacks" made defend-able in the 1st half.   It shouldn't have taken a Halftime speech to light a fire under their tulips to finally play like they gave a damn.  

Howard was NOT out of position, he was where 99.99% of GK's would stand on that Free Kick (middle of the net).   But, he never moved once the ball was kicked.  Sh*t, shuffle your feet, attempt to look like you GAF and dive, if even for naught.   But he stood there like a statue.   I don't have to watch a replay of it, because I remember it.   It was a soft goal and was DEFINITELY save-able.  

Again, they will be eliminated, if they even advance in the first.  

Um, both of Slovenia's goals came in the run of play - there wasn't a set piece involved in either of them.  For the first goal Howard had moved off his line anticipating a through ball.  Birso wasn't closed down and just looped it over Howard's head. 

And Bob Bradley at least has the confidence of the players, which is more than you can say of a few teams at this World Cup.  The problem has been the performance, not the coaching.  Altidore is having a good World Cup, he's gone a long way toward rescuing his reputation after a dismal spell at Hull.  The problem has been the passing and not holding the ball when they should. 

And yes, USA will not win the World Cup.  But they should be competitive and they definitely should get out of the group stage.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »
I might be in the minority but I would give Torrez and 2nd chance in center mid for his possession skills.  Maybe he can come off the bench.  If Dempsey moves up front, I like to see Holden in at wing.  IMO

Holden in on the wing is a great idea.  I have to think Torres is done though.  I like him a lot, he just didn't have a good game against Slovenia. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »
Um, both of Slovenia's goals came in the run of play - there wasn't a set piece involved in either of them.  For the first goal Howard had moved off his line anticipating a through ball.  Birso wasn't closed down and just looped it over Howard's head. 

And Bob Bradley at least has the confidence of the players, which is more than you can say of a few teams at this World Cup.  The problem has been the performance, not the coaching.  Altidore is having a good World Cup, he's gone a long way toward rescuing his reputation after a dismal spell at Hull.  The problem has been the passing and not holding the ball when they should. 

And yes, USA will not win the World Cup.  But they should be competitive and they definitely should get out of the group stage.

Watch this.   The ball NEVER even came close to Howard who only moved up two steps, instead of over.   The ball did NOT "go over his head", it went damn 6 feet to the left of him.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPohqh6n2_Y   The US defense scattered on both Slovenian goals and put no pressure on him, BUT Howard should have managed one of them as a save.   

I never said a "set piece" was involved, so please stop implying.    The US gave up two "soft goals" and "rallyed" for a tie, which was the same as a loss.   My point is since that games halftime, the US should have had the game under control.   Disallowed goal whining notwithstanding, the US is not worthy of the 14th Worldwide Ranking they currently have held since May. 

Understand that I'd finally like to see a US team live up to it's "hype", but this "is yet another year of flawed logic".    They are Average and still might not make it out of the first group cut.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »
Watch this.   The ball NEVER even came close to Howard who only moved up two steps, instead of over.   The ball did NOT "go over his head", it went damn 6 feet to the left of him.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPohqh6n2_Y   The US defense scattered on both Slovenian goals and put no pressure on him, BUT Howard should have managed one of them as a save.   

I never said a "set piece" was involved, so please stop implying.    The US gave up two "soft goals" and "rallyed" for a tie, which was the same as a loss.   My point is since that games halftime, the US should have had the game under control.   Disallowed goal whining notwithstanding, the US is not worthy of the 14th Worldwide Ranking they currently have held since May. 

Understand that I'd finally like to see a US team live up to it's "hype", but this "is yet another year of flawed logic".    They are Average and still might not make it out of the first group cut.   

You said

Howard was NOT out of position, he was where 99.99% of GK's would stand on that Free Kick (middle of the net).

meaning  God knows what as neither of Slovenia's goal came off a free kick.  And if you look at the clip Howard is off his line but the problem is that Birsa wasn't marked in the first place and wasn't closed down in the second place.

US has been ranked as high as 14th since the 2006 WC actually, although I agree with you that they may not be worthy of it.  Rankings are mainly BS anyway.  Still I wouldn't say they're overhyped - it's just there's a lot of USA fans who'd like to see them go through.  T

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
You said

meaning  God knows what as neither of Slovenia's goal came off a free kick.  And if you look at the clip Howard is off his line but the problem is that Birsa wasn't marked in the first place and wasn't closed down in the second place.

US has been ranked as high as 14th since the 2006 WC actually, although I agree with you that they may not be worthy of it.  Rankings are mainly BS anyway.  Still I wouldn't say they're overhyped - it's just there's a lot of USA fans who'd like to see them go through.  T

I mixed up the games.   No free kick.   I'd like to see them advance, but there's just no way in hell they have the "talent" to continue.   They never should have been down 2-0, because the Coach didn't react fast enough.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Grisbeau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
England vs Slovenia.

The BBC have announced that they have decided not to show the game tomorrow. Instead they will be showing the film, ‘Out of Africa’.
IRON MAN - Fictional superhero.
Iron Woman - Simple command.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
England vs Slovenia.

The BBC have announced that they have decided not to show the game tomorrow. Instead they will be showing the film, ‘Out of Africa’.

I hear that's a good movie..... :bolt:
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
Grisbeau, you need to come clean my work desk up - snorted tea out of my nose at that one.

No doubt we can join France in economy for our trip home  :D

Wurzel (still giggling)
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
England vs Slovenia.

I heard it was being shown on GayTV because the BBC couldn't show 11 stunninghunks being pumped for 90 minutes.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
I am starting to believe that the refs. are bias against the US. That's 2 goals they got jipped from them.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
I am starting to believe that the refs. are bias against the US. That's 2 goals they got jipped from them.

Naw. There are a lot of crappy descisions & referee performances all across the board at this world cup. It may be the worst WC I have seen so far in this regard.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
Naw. There are a lot of crappy descisions & referee performances all across the board at this world cup. It may be the worst WC I have seen so far in this regard.
I agree. I don't normally watch the WC, but I despise this officiating crew.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
what an ending!

:aok

wtg USA!
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit