Author Topic: pedals  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: pedals
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
So close, yet so far. Can anyone tell me how to use rudder in combat (when to use it, and the exact steps if its rather complicated)?

And Tigger29, I was just asking about the rudder, not the flaps thing. However that is a nice pic, and I think I will steal it from you.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 10:19:41 PM »
The CH Pedals are in my opinion the "weak link" in the CH line up.  They work reasonably well, but are very very closely spaced, and (compared to my Simpeds) are much harder to control with precision.  I did replace the centering spring with something much lighter, so that I could make precise movements around center more easily.
CH is far from the best pedals I have ever used.

I have not used the Simpeds but I have some buddies from the old Cougar World group that swear by the things and absolutely love 'em.

Other than these two,  I believe that Saitek makes pedels, and what little I've seen of them they look worth looking into (wide spaced, toe brakes) but I have no first hand experience with them. 
I have a set now and they are great. Nice wide setup and good toe brake functionality as well. I got them for a steal on EBay for about $50 brand new with no wear on them.

I'm also not sure what Guillimot/Thrustmaster has available these days.

Nothing at all at this time and sadly no information/rumors/dreams on anything for the future. I wish they would have followed through on the RCS Pro (toe brake version) they were supposed to release around the time of the Cougar as well.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:57 PM »
So close, yet so far. Can anyone tell me how to use rudder in combat (when to use it, and the exact steps if its rather complicated)?

The best way to learn is to get with a trainer and have him teach you coordinated turns and then move on up to more advanced maneuvers using the rudders.  Not to knock you but it would be quicker and just a lot easier for you to get help from a trainer instead of us writing a novel in trying to explain each instance when rudders are used.  There are just somethings you need to work at instead of depending on someone handing you the Dummy's Guide To Rudders on a silver platter.

A good starting point is the post from Trigger29.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
CH is far from the best pedals I have ever used.

Nothing at all at this time and sadly no information/rumors/dreams on anything for the future. I wish they would have followed through on the RCS Pro (toe brake version) they were supposed to release around the time of the Cougar as well.
I have a set of CH pedals, they're excellent and have lasted me about 8 years now.  If you can find a pair on eBay, the TM Elite's are also nice.    

I spent about an hour talking with Claude Guillemot (the president of Guillemot/Thrustmaster) at the Warthog preview event last week.  He is a very nice gentleman and is a a pilot too, flys a Cessna 421 Eagle in France, so we talked all about flying and flight sims.  I emphasized that TM really needed to come out with a nice set of pedals to compliment the Warthog.  I said that many people in the community are really wanting Thrustmaster/Guillemot to make a new set of pedals, since the Elite's were such a success and are still sought after.  He seemed to agree with me and said he would certainly think about it and talk it over with the company.  Although it was a relatively informal discussion we had, I hope it may have "got his wheels turning" about the idea.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:32:23 PM by Cobra516 »
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 03:06:09 AM »
Rgr, thanks Ack-Ack.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 08:04:22 AM »
Thanks for the information on the conversation Cobra/Ray. As for the CH that is based on what I know from my experience. I bought some on two different occasions and sold them after about 3-6 months. I started out on TM RCS pedals and absolutely love them. I wish I had time and energy to wire up my own RCS pedals for toe brakes but that isn't going to happen. I have already upgraded them with the HS kit from Cubpilot.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
I have a set of CH pedals, they're excellent and have lasted me about 8 years now.  If you can find a pair on eBay, the TM Elite's are also nice.    

I actually decided to look on ebay for some CH pedals yesterday evening.  Found some with no reserve and 2 bidders.  Price at the time was 2.99 (I think).  Lucky for me, I joined in the bidding with under a minute left, and ended up winning some "brand new" pedals for $4.25.  The guy has a perfect history and has sold alot of stuff.  I'm just hoping they truly are new or close to it.  For under 5 bucks, I figured it's worth a shot.
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »
I actually decided to look on ebay for some CH pedals yesterday evening.  Found some with no reserve and 2 bidders.  Price at the time was 2.99 (I think).  Lucky for me, I joined in the bidding with under a minute left, and ended up winning some "brand new" pedals for $4.25.  The guy has a perfect history and has sold alot of stuff.  I'm just hoping they truly are new or close to it.  For under 5 bucks, I figured it's worth a shot.

Are they new usb pedals, or are they the old gameport type? If they're usb, and the guy doesn't hose you on the shipping you scored. :aok

I've had a set of CH pedals for years and the only knock I have against them is that they need to be wider.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »

One quick thing you can try for yourself is to grab a plane and point the nose straight UP.  See how long you can keep it there without rudder input, and then see how long you can keep it there while using the rudder to force/steer it there.

Practicing this will give you an immediate edge in your roping manuevers, and will also help you learn how your plane responds to rudder input at extremely low speed.  

A corsair is a good plane to practice this on.  I imagine a hellcat would be good as well.  Maybe a 109 if you prefer something different (though throttle management would probably be more key in this than the Corsair for this maneuver).

Edit - once your nose finally falls, and you tailslide, don't forget to practice using the rudder to regain control where you want to.  Use something like a hangar or runway for orientation purposes.

If you're wondering how some people can float around like a helicopter, and magically gain control at the most inopportune (for you) moments, this will show you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:30:03 PM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »

If it turns out that they are the old game port type you can get a game port to USB adapter. They work great. I used the gameport style for two years with one until I took the plung and upgraded to all USB stuff.

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
If it turns out that they are the old game port type you can get a game port to USB adapter. They work great. I used the gameport style for two years with one until I took the plung and upgraded to all USB stuff.

Ok, yea, it seems I jumped the gun as it does have a gameport.  I still got them with shipping for about $20 bucks, so I think I still got a pretty good deal.  I didn't even think about a gameport, I haven't seen one in a long time.

Would this adapter work?  I don't believe these pedals have the toe break, which would make it a 2 axis.

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-Gameport-Adapter-for-Joysticks-Controllers-and-Gamepads.asp?source=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse&cvsfa=1306&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=53572d35393639

Oh well, at least I can see how I like the CH (not sure if I like the 8" or so apart idea), I may want the Saitek model anyway down the road.
 :salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »
Ok, yea, it seems I jumped the gun as it does have a gameport.  I still got them with shipping for about $20 bucks, so I think I still got a pretty good deal.  I didn't even think about a gameport, I haven't seen one in a long time.

Would this adapter work?  I don't believe these pedals have the toe break, which would make it a 2 axis.

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-Gameport-Adapter-for-Joysticks-Controllers-and-Gamepads.asp?source=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse&cvsfa=1306&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=53572d35393639

Oh well, at least I can see how I like the CH (not sure if I like the 8" or so apart idea), I may want the Saitek model anyway down the road.
 :salute

The old analog CH Pro Pedals do have toe brakes but I don't think they'll be recognized in AH even with a USB gameport adaptor.  That was one of the drawbacks to the analog Pro Pedals, only a certain games that had support built in for the analog Pro Pedals were able to use the toe brakes.

There is a way though that may get the toe brakes to work in AH but it involves a little bit of wiring and electronic know how.  When I was at CH one of the guys modified a set of analog Pro Pedals for me so I could calibrate the toe brakes in Windows and use them in games.  He wired a button into the wire harness that connects to the toe brakes that would allow me to properly calibrate the pedals in Windows.  I then had to use a custom created 3 axis, 1 button joystick driver in Windows to get them to work.  Since it was required in Windows to press a button on the joystick to properly set the calibration, that was the reason for having a button wired into the pedals.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
I read that in one of the reviews about the calibration.  It was said that if you had an old joystick with the gameport, you could calibrate the pedals, and then when you have to hit a button to finish calibration, you could plug the old joystick in and hit a button.  Although, I don't see that working, as windows will know I unplugged the pedals.

This was really a temporary "give it a try" until I can afford the Saitek models.  I think I just blew 20 bucks  :cry 

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
You still got a decent deal. You just have to use an adapter to get the pedals too work,and you wont have toe brakes. No real biggie since you probably don't have toe brakes now.

The main thing is to get use to the pedals. Get familiar using them. Then when you need too you can upgrade.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »
ya what Sik said. That adapter will work fine. Its a pretty cheap set-up to see if you like pedals better than a twisty stick as well as if 8 inches is enough room.