Author Topic: New announcement: Radar Settings  (Read 14378 times)

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
Re: New announcement: Radar Settings
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
Hm... I have to admit, the longer I play, the less i like the increased radar ranges... 

Same here..... The more I play the less I like it.

Cavalry
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #271 on: June 24, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
Must not have been our lucky night to attract attention. Not one Rook followed through to catch four flights of our B17's at 23K tonight in Late War Orange. Dar circles were up, but alas... :(

Oh, well. :)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »
Ya gotta love the history

RAAF Beaufighter pilot Raynor Barber

"We had a very specific way of approaching targets.  We flew at sea-level to keep under radar and out of sight, as surprise was crucial.  It was not advisable to turn around and look back at that stage as the sea would be swirling just behind the wing from the wash from the propellers.  The propellers themselves were less then a foot off the water.  This caused trouble if their was an inexperienced pilot on the mission. One would occasionally panic when he saw how low he was and automatically pull the aircraft up into the air.  If this happened once, the Japanese radar would know we were coming.  If it happened a couple of times they could pinpoint our intended target from our flight path and be ready and waiting.  We lost too many aircraft that way.  We got wiser as we got older and never allowed an inexperienced crew to go out on a job like that.  We would be one aircraft short rather then take an inexperienced pilot."

Apparently noobs were a problem then too.  Looks like 65 feet would have been nice :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2010, 12:54:34 AM »
I wonder if these RAF pilots whined about having to fly 65ft or lower as loud as some have been in these forums.

RAF raid on Philips Radio Works factory

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2010, 01:17:16 AM »
Nice find Ack-Ack - enjoyed watching that one, and definitely puts things into perspective.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:18 AM »
Looks like the arm-chair generals didnt adapt to the change yet....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2010, 05:08:44 AM »
Ack-Ack,

Bases are undefended also because they are leaved so by players who
like other style of combat more.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2010, 08:27:24 AM »
English visioned by myself!?

:salute
Regardless of whether one agrees with the posts, I salute lulu for hanging in this thread, with English as a second language, no less.  :salute

A side note: subconsciously, I read lulu’s posts in a foreign accent.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
Hm... I have to admit, the longer I play, the less i like the increased radar ranges...  :uhoh
It will take some getting used to seeing dots now without a corresponding dar bar.  

And increased radar notification can be used to avoid combat as well as seek it.

Then there are the old habits, like using the dar circles to estimate distance…

Jury is still out.
Claim Jumpers

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »
I wonder if these RAF pilots whined about having to fly 65ft or lower as loud as some have been in these forums.

RAF raid on Philips Radio Works factory

probably not, but I bet the ones that made it home had a good moan about the mission though ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2010, 08:31:12 AM »

Learn and adapt or get off the pot.

Adapt or leave?  Definitely not the right answer.  People playing the game is good.  People leaving the game is bad.  “Play my way or play offline” is B.S.
Claim Jumpers

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
Why do you care if some guy displays prowess against some object that doesnt move? Are you paying their subscriptions? What your really mad about is that they refused to give you an easy kill. The score tards want all of the noobs furballing so that they can have the glory of 1000's of kills. Maybe they can have the name in lights on the HTC web site.  Then after some of those guys shoot down the noob, they PM him and trash talk him. No wonder some of those guys leave after their two week trial is over.

Who cares what they do? This is a fine example of the problem. Each person if he is a two week noob or a 2 year experienced player pays his monthly subscription to HTC to play this fun game the way they see fit. Some like to GV, some like to NOE base take. Some like to furball. Some simply enjoy defending airfields with Wirbles. The furballers complained about NOE raids so HTC gave in and changed that. Now I see from another thread that they want the bombers to be perked. Whats next?

Last time I checked this was a combat simulation. Not real. Some of these guys think it is real. Why don't people play there game the way they like to play it and not worry about what the other guys are doing. Even with NOE missions going on there are always plenty of furballs to get into. I dropped hangers in the middle of a furball awhile back and the local armchair general came on  channel mad as heck about it. I told the armchair general that I didn't recall him paying my monthly subscription fees to HTC. When he starts paying them we can then discuss his complaint.

I love this game it is addicting. My wife doesn't like it at times. At the end of the day it is only a game. If you don't like NOE raids why don't you defend your bases against them?  Most of the guys complaining are the score hounds who probably play with their flight suits on, and wear a fighter pilot jacket when its 100 degrees outside, and are still mad because the Air Force wouldn't accept them into flight school.

I do not really like to fly fighters. I enjoy attack planes,and attack missions,  GV's and bombers. It is starting to look like the only acceptable way to play the game is to fly in the furball.

I have been playing for about one year. I always treat brand new guys with respect and teach them what I can about the game. I am really surprised at how some of the so called veterans (Term used for discussion purposes only. I am a veteran and have respect for other military veterans) treat these new players. There are some really good Bish squads who let these guys fly with them and teach them. There are others who kick them to the curb and kick them out of their missions. That certainly makes a guy feel welcome.

:aok :aok :aok :aok
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Online waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »
Adapt or leave?  Definitely not the right answer.  People playing the game is good.  People leaving the game is bad.  “Play my way or play offline” is B.S.

Hey I actually agree with Ruf here.  I do not want to see changes so I can gloat, toss names, see people log in disgust, or leave the game forever.  I wan to see changes that encourage conflict/combat to everyone's continued enjoyment.  Saddens me that some have this attitude.

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
Regardless of whether one agrees with the posts, I salute lulu for hanging in this thread, with English as a second language, no less.  :salute

A side note: subconsciously, I read lulu’s posts in a foreign accent.

LOL, even though I too teased him I have enjoyed his posts too.  I agree with you on the foreign accent but I also (because of the name) imagine it's coming from a 4'11" brunette with big knockers, you know, the kind of knockers that opens doors.
Wag more, bark less.