Author Topic: New announcement: Radar Settings  (Read 14382 times)

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
Re: New announcement: Radar Settings
« Reply #345 on: June 28, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
Or maybe they'll learn to use altitude to hide from real fights like the "experienced" players do.

There were and still are more guys hiding from real combat using other means than there EVER were supposedly hiding from combat using noe as a tactic.

Lowering the radar to 65 ft. supposedly to "promote combat" ???? LOL!! Thats a really bad joke.

WTG HTC!!  :rofl :rofl

Old dar system: base flashing, no vis on dar: could be a large force coming in or just a lone guy flying low. You had about 2 minutes to ditch, land or whatever and reup at that base and hunt whatever is making the base flash. Knowing this, these guys would imploy other tactics to fool the others ( make X base flash and post a dot NE of the field while the main force will come in SW.) Sure its a successful tactic, but what are you really trying to do here? PREVENT INTERACTION with other players.

A NOE raid here and there wasnt killing the game. Quite a few times, I log in and that would just go on ALL DAY. So YES, the new way does promote combat. Making them be seen gives you the option to chase them down rather than wonder if its worth landing, or ditching your ride to go to base X.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
Grizz,

If you are talking about dogfight's personal bish hoard, Waystin got to the point for awhile he could anticipate the next isolated feild they were going to sneak up on with an NOE. He would make a piggy call to whirbles&fighters and 90% of the time he called we upped and stopped them the same way they get stopped now because of dar. I almost feel sorry for them now because NOE gave many of them a better chance of survival. When Waystin guessed the right feild to defend they died pretty easy. POTW got bored with following them around when it was obvious finding them group to group was not much of a challenging fight. In retrospect we should have gone back to picking fights with the muppets. We gained much more from those past encounters with the "Evil Puppet People"..... :devil

Live and learn....... :old:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
« Reply #347 on: June 29, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
Just wondering, isn't a cv deck around 75ft? At work so I can't look, but are we able to see planes on a cv deck now, or just after they take off from it? Love the changes btw, thanks HTC.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Even though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it gives no attention to any bird than the one it first marked.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 29, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
Just wondering, isn't a cv deck around 75ft?

57ft
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Even though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it gives no attention to any bird than the one it first marked.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »
damn dyslexia lol, thanks :)

As long as you can spell dyslexia, you don't really have a problem  :D

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
As long as you can spell dyslexia, you don't really have a problem  :D

I give all the credit to my iPhone's autotyper. If only it had autogrammar ;)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #352 on: June 29, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
Old dar system: base flashing, no vis on dar: could be a large force coming in or just a lone guy flying low. You had about 2 minutes to ditch, land or whatever and reup at that base and hunt whatever is making the base flash. Knowing this, these guys would imploy other tactics to fool the others ( make X base flash and post a dot NE of the field while the main force will come in SW.) Sure its a successful tactic, but what are you really trying to do here? PREVENT INTERACTION with other players.

A NOE raid here and there wasnt killing the game. Quite a few times, I log in and that would just go on ALL DAY. So YES, the new way does promote combat. Making them be seen gives you the option to chase them down rather than wonder if its worth landing, or ditching your ride to go to base X.

Please don't use the "prevent interaction" with others line. It doesn't work.

There are alot more people hiding from fights in this game using other means than there ever were doing noes.

They just "hide" higher. Or spawn camp , or vulch etc etc etc.

I personally found flying Noes very boring, however I loved busting them up the best I could.

I find it frustrating to up at a flashing base that has several cons on dar, only to find that they are too high to engage.

Maybe HT should incorporate some type of color coding in the dar dots to indicate the altitude of incoming cons on dar so I might have a better chance of "interacting" with them. :D
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #353 on: June 30, 2010, 07:22:21 AM »
Is that, 65 feet above sea level, or 65 feet above the terrain you're currently overflying?
Has anyone answered this? Truly don't know...(I'm guessing the latter)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #354 on: June 30, 2010, 07:27:06 AM »
Has anyone answered this? Truly don't know...(I'm guessing the latter)
the latter...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #355 on: June 30, 2010, 08:03:53 AM »
"So YES, the new way does promote combat"

Does Furballing outnumbered 90% of the time promote  air combat?
(perhaps it promotes squads contest - look at DA for this.)

Until now i saw only is massive raids where number becomes the most important element.

If I take-off from a near field to get alt advantage, then i'm pretty sure that i will find
some cons that are sort after me and have gained more alt advantage ( possible using a second
account to spy or to have more view on their plane using a second account.  :noid )

I find this very borrowing and not educative.

mobilis in mobile

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #356 on: June 30, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »

That's pretty hilarious coming from a guy whose squad had about 30 planes capping a de-acked small field (A70, I think) the other night with a CV about 500 yards offshore and still couldn't take it.

And we've been rolling bases better than ever with the new settings. So have most of the folks who did before. Exactly as I predicted, the main result has been that every radar along every front gets porked continuously, so fights are if anything harder to find, unless you want to jump into one of the 40-plane perpetual furballs. That, and some of the folks who used to run small NOE hordes now run enormous mid-altitude hordes instead. The alt-monkeys, who have always been much worse for the game than NOEers, are of course unaffected.

It is nice to see that 6-8 of our pilots still constitute a "hoard" these days. I've always taken that as a compliment.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #357 on: June 30, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
There was a lot of people who thought the radar settings were going to magically make game play how they wanted it. It wont change anything once this change settles in there will be a new complaint and so on and so forth.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #358 on: June 30, 2010, 11:02:24 AM »
Sure its a successful tactic, but what are you really trying to do here? PREVENT INTERACTION with other players.

Nonsense. If you don't want to interact with the enemy you fly around at 25k so they can't possibly catch you. Going NOE the enemy can always up and be fighting you in seconds. The point of NOE is to gain the initiative and thereby gain an advantage if the enemy chooses to try to defend the base. He can engage you, but it will be in your time and on your terms rather than on his. It's one way to take a base without overwhelming numbers.

So YES, the new way does promote combat.

No it doesn't, it promotes dar-porking, alt-monkeying, and bigger hordes than ever before. Combat promotes itself, and if someone is determined to avoid it, most of the ways (especially the worst ones) to do so still exist.

I love defending against NOEs. Against mostly buffs it usually means easy kills and against mostly fighters it means quickly jumping into a tough, challenging fight. What I loathe on defense is a raid coming in at 20k+; I can waste 20 minutes trying to climb to and catch them and eventually run out of fuel and RTB without anyone having fired a shot. What fun is that? If hitech had to make a change, I think a hard ceiling at 10k would do ten times more to promote good game play than lower radar coverage. That, and take 262s and Tigers out of the game.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
What I loathe on defense is a raid coming in at 20k+; I can waste 20 minutes trying to climb to and catch them and eventually run out of fuel and RTB without anyone having fired a shot. What fun is that?

It's enourmous fun - of course not running out of fuel without having to a shot, but frankly: You just did fly wrong then. Too many people are chasing high alt raids instead of intercepting  them
A huge 25k buff mission has a darbar that's screaming for at least 30 mins "We are coming, we are heavy, we are slow!"

If hitech had to make a change, I think a hard ceiling at 10k would do ten times more to promote good game play than lower radar coverage. That, and take 262s and Tigers out of the game.

You are going the same way as many anti-noe guys: I don't like that part of game, so take it out, screw everyone else.

A "good game" can be found down low as well as "up high". I for one truly dig the different world of high-altitude combat.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:14:13 AM by Lusche »