Author Topic: E-Fighting  (Read 2613 times)

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
Re: E-Fighting
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 11:46:33 PM »
Pacman... also...

When I'm in a rolling scissors with you in the Spit 8... it's amazing what happens when you pull out in front and the shot appears. I can literally see it happening as I pull my nose across the circle into lead faster than your airspeed lets you cross the barrel.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 12:43:41 AM »
Forget flat and vertical....that's 2D thinking.

There are only two maneuvers...rolls and pulls.

There are only two kinds of turns...those that trade energy for altitude and those that trade altitude for energy.

Roll. Pull. Altitude going up, airspeed going down. Trading energy for altitude.  Your relationship to the horizon is of little importance. Only your relationship to the target has relevance. Your target is hard breaking and you don't want to try to match his turn so you trade energy for altitude and then trade that altitude back in for energy. High Yo Yo

Roll. Pull. Altitude going down. Airspeed going up (or steady if you are pulling really hard). Trading altitude for energy. Why would I do that? Again it revolves around the relationship to the bandit. In a merge situation where the bandit gives you some separation horizontally and pulls the standard nose high pull for an attempt at a vertical merge an energy building or energy conserving nose low turn into the nose high bandit will give you position on his 6 with energy to spare.

All Basic Fighter Maneuvers are performed in relation to  the target aircraft. If you ask someone to describe any BFM and they give you precise instruction like " For the high yo yo pull the nose 45 degrees above the horizon  then roll to 135 degrees and pull the nose 45 degrees below the horizon" then you know they are feeding you a line of BS.

The answer on how to do any BFM is always "depends on what the target is doing".

It can be described in general terms.

For example the High Yo Yo would be described in this manner.

"When the bandit enters his break pull the nose high enough to stay above the bandit turn circle, roll the lift vector to a position of lead pursuit on the bandit and then pull bringing the nose to lead, pure or lag pursuit as the situation dictates."

If you do High Yo Yo's using that description they are right every time. Of course you have to understand the concepts of turn circle, lift vector placement and pursuit curves or the description doesn't make much sense.

Sigh....where to start....

First off, "forget flat or vertical...that's 2D thinking?"   I know we're not flying F14's here but bear with me a moment.  Tomcat's fought in the flats and verticals for their entire time in service as have many other fighters and none of them were "2D" fighters. Its strengths were a very efficient turn (not the highest rate but very efficient), excellent pitch rate, acceleration, and speed.  The simplest F14 fight was to force a level two-circle fight at corner, and when the bandit sold E for angles or spiral climbed for a nose-low lead turn conversion at the next merge you'd take him close aboard and pull straight up in a pure vertical extension.  In the vertical, you'd roll to put the lift vector behind him, pitch over, and dive in for the kill.  Nothing but flat and vertical moves with the exception that at the end, the dive in for the kill was an oblique and yes, it's an NRG fight.  If the bandit went up at the first merge then you'd extend, reverse, come in underneath and again take it straight up into a pure vertical fight.  Again, nothing but horizontal and vertical moves with the addition of a high yo-yo for the reversal and yes this is still an NRG fight.  The idea that "flat" and "vertical" can be dismissed is sort of blowing smoke of folks tailpipes.  Again, I realize that we're not flying F14's here but I'm illustrating that even in the modern fighter world of NRG fights flat and vertical still matter.  Also, while not identical, similar fights happen in AH all the time but we usually call them ropes.

Second, "only two maneuvers...rolls and pulls?"   Great, if these are the only "maneuvers" there are then BFManeuvers just got really, really easy and Topgun has been wasting everyone's time.  The reality is that they are the actions taken that result in a maneuver, they are not maneuvers in and of themselves. The roll positions the lift vector and the pull creates the turn and the results are BFManeuvers.  BFManeuvers are turns, rolling scissors, flat scissors, extensions, reversals, yo-yo's, displacement rolls, lag rolls, etc.

Third, "there are only two kinds of turns...those that trade energy for altitude and those that trade altitude for energy."   That's an NRG concept and, generally speaking it's true but unfortunately incomplete.  There are turns that trade NRG for angles and there are maximum sustained turns in which the airplane is on its Ps=0 line.  In neither of these is the fighter required to either trade NRG for altitude or altitude for NRG yet, by golly, they're still turns.  These would generally be considered part of an angles vice NRG fight but even an NRG fighter usually needs to convert at least some stored NRG into angles for the kill unless they're going strickly for snaps.

Fourth, "and they give you precise instruction like " For the high yo yo pull the nose 45 degrees above the horizon  then roll to 135 degrees and pull the nose 45 degrees below the horizon" then you know they are feeding you a line of BS."  There's a difference between basic and advanced instruction that you apparently are choosing to ignore.  This is sort of like explaining racing techniques in a Ferrari when the new driver can hardly coordinate his clutch and gearshift yet.  Learning the mechanics of a high yo-yo, i.e., the required hand/eye coordination and the capabilities of your aircraft WRT to turn radius, NRG addition or loss, unusual attitudes, etc.,  is the start of BFM instruction, it's hardly "a line of BS."  Those are fundamental skills and knowledge that must be learned first.  The mechanics of a maneuver like a high yo-yo is taught in the very beginning of BFM instruction; the how and why it's used in relation to the bandit, the bandit's turn radius, and closure, and tactics follows once the mechanics and concept are learned.  It's not that the relationship between the fighter and bandit is irrelevant that would be a huge mistake, it's that you've got to understand how to do one before you learn how to employ one.  There's a difference.

Fifth, "your relationship to the horizon is of little importance." Really? It's of little importance???  You yourself just spent that entire paragraph and the next explaining explicitly why it is important.  The whole NRG fight concept is intrinsically tied to the horizon and your relative nose position, those elements can not be divorced from each other.  Since an NRG fight is about trading airspeed and altitude and back it's sorta important to know where the darned horizon is.  Saying everything is in relation to the bandit is misleading and you prove that in your own discussion.  You are oversimplifying this.

Much of what you say is good and useful knowledge and you're certainly entitled to your opinion but you undermine your credibility by making grandiose and condescending comments that just aren't supportable.  As you saw fit to caution others about BS, I'll do the same.  When people make such sweeping and apparently bold statements keep your tailpipe away from them...you may get smoke blown up it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:45:28 AM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »
What I don’t get is the repeated use of the term “flat turn”  when what everyone is describing is anything but.  I think the term at least for me, is misleading.  When I read “flat turn” I’m thinking no change in altitude, but that’s just me and how I interpret the use of the term “flat turn”.  Now I know that when they use the term “flat turn” they don’t mean that their aircraft will remain at a constant altitude.   My question now is what term do you use when you want to turn and remain at a constant altitude , I’m guessing “level turn”.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
My question now is what term do you use when you want to turn and remain at a constant altitude , I’m guessing “level turn”.

level turn might be the proper theoretical answer, but I would go with "sustained turn"

a sustained turn is one that does not give up nor gains in altitude, speed, degrees of turn
..... it stays constant through out the turn anywhere from 1 to any infinite number of continous 360 degree turns

I would also suggest that when flying combat cartoon planes in Aces high, one should not try and immulate Real World coordinated flight as if they were flying  Commercial Aviation ( think MS flight Simulator 2002/2004  FSX, etc.... ) and instead work more toward a goal of learning the fundamentals of BFM and then proceed on to Advanced tactics and ACM...... coordinated flying is good to know, and is great even when flying with a squad and on patrol, or a fighter sweep..... just so some do not misunderstand my thinking......

but sometimes while playing Aces High , one might need to know how to control their cartoon plane in an un coordinated way,  slip, skid, yaw, cross control, etc.....

hope this helps

Heya Mace  :old: ---> some wonderful replys  of yours ---> Reply #18, #22, #27, #31  :aok  :airplane:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:46:12 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »
A climbing lufberry F4U vs Spit? That makes no sense to me - anything newer than the Spit V has a something close to 1000 fpm climb rate advantage - if not 2000 or more.  Unless you have way more E than he does (or unless maybe you mean you do this when you're in the -4???) and can end the fight in less than 60 seconds, he's going to pretty quickly even up E states and then catch you as try to break off.

Do you have a film of how you do this I could watch?
<S>

If you get flaps down all the way you can use the spit's torque against it and litterly hover above it,

The large wing surface on the Spit makes it bleed airspeed and eventually stall out below you. Roll over the top and get on his 6.
Strokes

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 05:51:02 PM »
I received a PM from Dawger this morning regarding my response to his post above and, due to work today, haven't been able to respond so I'll do that now. 

In his PM he clarified what he meant in his post and it turns out we're far more in synch than it appears or I believed when I posted.  He used a bit of shorthand and simplification that, at least to me, left his meaning unclear and open to misinterpretation.  Personalizing these things is something I actively avoid doing...I didn't in this case.  With that I will say clearly that I was wrong to jump on him using the tone that I did and I sincerely apologize to him for my mistake. 

Dawger's a good guy, even if we haven't always agreed on everything, and he's had many very knowledgeable and informative posts here that folks would be foolish to disregard out of hand as I wrongly suggested.  Also, he has a webpage here: http://home.comcast.net/~micelihouston/lessons/stage3lessons/stage3frames.htm.  While not yet complete, it looks to be a very nice tool for AH'ers and I look forward to reading it in detail myself.

v/r Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline daMIG

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »
Wow, I just come in here and I learn more than I ever had: (HUMBLE wrote::""unload the airframe in a best climb"")

the more I know, the more I know how little I know.. :miglet, a stick who knows many of yous guys over the years, been on your kilboard more often than not, and I never expect to be in the top 3000.

AKAK <S>
 :airplane:

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
Wow, I just come in here and I learn more than I ever had: (HUMBLE wrote::""unload the airframe in a best climb"")

the more I know, the more I know how little I know.. :miglet, a stick who knows many of yous guys over the years, been on your kilboard more often than not, and I never expect to be in the top 3000.

AKAK <S>
 :airplane:

One of the best parts of this game IMHO is the ongoing lessons to be learned, I've been here 10 years or so and I'm still learning new things which keeps me coming back for more abuse.  :)

Oftentimes it's one little sentence or statement that I read that suddenly makes me think about something a little differently and it's like the light bulb appears over my head and my cartoon flying get's just a little better as I incorporate that new idea. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
Darn good thread. As a very poor fighter pilot trying to learn, I picked up very good information here.. Thanks Alot!!!

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline daMIG

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »
One of the best parts of this game IMHO is the ongoing lessons to be learned, I've been here 10 years or so and I'm still learning new things which keeps me coming back for more abuse.  :)

Oftentimes it's one little sentence or statement that I read that suddenly makes me think about something a little differently and it's like the light bulb appears over my head and my cartoon flying get's just a little better as I incorporate that new idea. 

Soulyss <Salute>, wizer words right there! And That is the Gem and pulse that give this game life for me.

Thanks Brotha, and I appreciate beiing offa ur kilboard lately..

miggy