Author Topic: tiger armour question  (Read 3343 times)

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
tiger armour question
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
Where is the strongest part of the tiger at?

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: tiger armour question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »
Front.  If you park your Tiger so the front right or front left corner faces the oncoming enemy it will add slope to the armor too.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:41:08 AM »
frogs are people too

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »
thanks a lot!

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »
Front of the turret is the absolute strongest part. AHwiki says its modeled with 110mm's of armor. Unfortunatly, you can never add slope to it, since you NEED to point it at your target in order to fire.

If you're a good shot, hang back, say 1500-2000yds back, and pick off whoever you can. At that range, you're likely to suffer a turreting shot at worst, unless you happen to bump into a firefly, or another tiger.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:29:05 PM by Nemisis »
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Most of the front of the turret is invulnerable to anything in AH. It has the mantlet and the turret front armour.
Over 200 mm of the best quality armour steel in WW2.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:52:31 PM »
Most of the front of the turret is invulnerable to anything in AH.

Sorry... but: No. :)

Unless you say something like "At distances over XXX yards."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
Most of the front of the turret is invulnerable to anything in AH. It has the mantlet and the turret front armour.
Over 200 mm of the best quality armour steel in WW2.
I see a lot of people try to add the armor of the front of the turret to the mantlet . . . I think that is a mistake on most tanks.  Below is a pic of a turret mantlet removed from the turret.  Note the gun, sighting equipment, etc. attached to the mantlet.

Now here is a pic of the turret without the mantlet.

So the mantlet essentially covers a huge, gaping hole in the front of the tank, meaning except for the small area where they overlap, the armor of the mantlet and the turret front aren't additive.

I can't find a picture of the Tiger specifically  -- at least not a real one, just lots of models, and I don't want to assume those are put together the same way as the real deal -- so the "hole" in the front of the turret may be small relative to the whole mantlet.  But if it is similar to the pics above, the likelihood of having nothing behind the mantlet may be much greater than having some additional armor.  If anyone has additional information, especially decent pictures, I'd love to see them.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:33:50 PM »
That is the first time I have ever seen someone try to describe the front turret armour of a tiger by posting pictures of a dissembled Sherman and churchill.
The Tiger is made nothing like that. It has a nearly solid plate 110 mm thick across the front that has the trunnion of the main armament on it. The only spot that is not armour is gun.
The Mantle is actually attached to the main armament and covers the entire front of the turret. The beefing up of the base of the main armament is armour, not anything to do with ballistics, no Pak or Flak has it.
Unless the round hits the gun itself, or slips under an elevated mantle if the gun is very elevated, it is hitting 220 mm plus of armour.
So the only accurate way to describe the front turret armour of a Tiger 1 is > 220mm. No weapon in AH except the 8" gun can penetrate that.
You can clearly see the structure of the front plate by its welds in a non zimmerit picture, you can clearly see the composition and coverage of the mantle in any picture.

Has anyone here ever seen a picture of a Tiger that was killed through the front of the turret? It is one of the most photographed vehicles of WW2.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »
No weapon in AH except the 8" gun can penetrate that.

Are you actually playing AH? This tour alone I have sucessfully turreted at least 2 tigers... with a frontal hits by a M4A3(76)w :)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
So the only accurate way to describe the front turret armour of a Tiger 1 is > 220mm. No weapon in AH except the 8" gun can penetrate that.

What the hell are you smoking? Since when does the tiger have 220mm of armor? Last I checked, it had 110 (according to AHwiki), or 120 (according to lusche's pic). And thats the thickest.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
The 17 pounder in the firefly probably couldn't come close to penetrating the front of a tiger turret at any range with any ammo. Its not a secret or anything, just the way it was.
Shot gap of 76mm to 200+ mm just made it shatter, the sabot was worse.

That is just the mantlet.
The cavity the gun goes in happens to be even more beefed up.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
What the hell are you smoking? Since when does the tiger have 220mm of armor? Last I checked, it had 110 (according to AHwiki), or 120 (according to lusche's pic). And thats the thickest.

I am smoking the "how thick was the front turret of the tiger one weed I guess.
I thought the OP was really asking, not asking what AH had. I really do not remember what AH set it too.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »
The 17 pounder in the firefly probably couldn't come close to penetrating the front of a tiger turret at any range with any ammo. Its not a secret or anything, just the way it was.

Just for the record, the 76(w) in my example above is not a Firefly. ;)

Most tanks in AH can penetrate the Tigers frontal turret armor if getting close enough. It's not "safe from anything but a 8" gun".
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:02:43 PM by Lusche »