Author Topic: System up and running AMD 800 with KA7 mobo  (Read 536 times)

ovmech

System up and running AMD 800 with KA7 mobo
« on: September 10, 2000, 12:27:00 PM »
Fianlly got it all up and running. It wasn't to bad other than my eithernet card not being recognized but I fianlly got it.

Just some recommendations for any of you for an upgrade:

AMD 800 OEM cpu
Golden Orb CPU cooler
1 stick of 128 PC133 mem
Creative Soundblaster Live value
mobo Abit KA7
Elsa Erzor X Geoforce 256 w/32mb (Elsa has a program that monitors its heat and I removed the small fan and intalled a much larger fan on the heatsink.... well by removing the fan from the card It gave me a warning and reset itself back to a lower setting. I'm not sure how much power can be drawn off the card for a larger fan so to fake it out I reconnected the small oem fan and hung it out of the way with a ty wrap. I put a larger 50mm fan on the heatsink and drew the power from a fan conncton on the mobo. It worked I am able to go to the overclocking setup now. I have seen mention of how to disable the chipguard program but nothing written in stone.

I think I spent more than I wanted and the wife still doesn't know about all of it.... I'm gonna be in big trouble!  

Anyway I'm happy with the AMD cpu so far. I will give you an update as I play too.

Thanks for all you guys who had some input to my questions.

ov

------------------
ovmech, Lt Col Commanding
  ovmech@cfl.rr.com  
82nd Fighter Group
82nd Fighter Group

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »
Ov,
  Mine ships tomorrow   Let me know how ya like it.
AMD T-bird 800
Asus A7V mobo
256 pc133 ram
Asus V7700 Deluxe Geforce2 GTS DDR 32mb
SBLive Xgamer
Toshiba 12xDVD
Plextor 12x/10x/32x CD-RW
USR EXT Serial modem

Also keep me updated on that overclocking.  Dying to hear how it goes and what ya had to do to get it  

S!
Rocket

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2000, 08:19:00 PM »
Mine works just great ... well almost.  

My system:
TBird 750 on Asus A7V revison 1.02 using bios 1.04a
128MB PC 133 CAS 2 (1 stick)
Golden Orb power cooler
Viper V770 Ultra AGP card
Aureal AQ2500 sound card

System is 100% stable in Windows.  The only problem I'm having is that Windows randomly changes the IRQ on my soundcard.  After manually configuring IRQs in the Bios I think this is fixed.

Now my only problem is that occasionally (1 out of 25) startups the system will lock when the windows mouse pointer appears.  A quick CNTL-ALT-Delete fixes that.  I'm thinking this is probably due to Soundblaster DOS compatibility drivers loaded with the soundcard.

I also seem to be out of free interupts even though all I have in is a soundcard, video card, and modem.  That Promise ATA100 controller built in tries to use IRQ5.  After disabling it in the bios I gave it to my soundcard.  This fixed quite a few issues I was having.  I now have to somehow get a NIC card installed, I'm thinking I can share an Interupt with the modem with a minimum of problems. (I hope.   )

I'm getting 80+ fps in AH.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2000, 11:43:00 PM »
Bloom where did ya find the golden orb and how much it run?
I got part of my system in today.. had to go ahead and boot it to try it out.  Now it is running on the old windows setup for the P2B board so the registry is cobbbed up right now but it is a screamer so far.  Can't wait for the new HDD, soundcard to come inand see what she will really do  

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2000, 11:33:00 AM »
Swager is still running a O/Ced 450 Celeron!

Viper 550

64 M RAM

BooHo  
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.