Author Topic: Stupid question but needs quick answer :)  (Read 612 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Stupid question but needs quick answer :)
« on: November 21, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
It probably is a stupid question but when it says "Athlon XP FSB 266MHz" it doesn't really mean that the mobo is clicking at 266, does it? I have a KT7a (not RAID) and TB 1GHz at the moment with FSB on board going at 100MHz and memory at 133MHz. Can I just plug Athlon XP 1600 (1.4GHz) in it?

I was about to order the sucker when I thought - oops, 266MHz... Hmmmm... Help?

I also bought Dragon Orb 3 cooler by Thermaltake to go with it (it's a quieter version with 31dB noise level - can't stand howling of FOP38 anymore) - anyone use it? Copper base looks the business but will it deliver?

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2001, 09:06:00 AM »
Check www.abit.com.tw  if your model mobo supports athlon XP, you will need to flash your bios at least.

266 fsb means 133Mhz double data rate (ddr) so it doesn't differ that much from what you have now. In fact your cpu runs '200fsb' at the moment.

Anyways, check for a bios update that says 'support for athlon xp added' and install it. But be aware: a powercut during flash can render your computer UNBOOTABLE so read the instructions CAREFULLY.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Just wondering if I need to install every single "in-between" release fo BIOS or does the latest version contain all the updates from the previous ones?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Get the latest, it will include all earlier patches.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century