Author Topic: F4U v. Ki-84 tips?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: F4U v. Ki-84 tips?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
Does the KI still shed it's elevators at (IIRC) about 465 MPH?  Every time I've flown one in the past I end up losing the elevators, and while it's been a while since I've been up against one, I've not yet had one stick with me if I use that against my opponent, and dive out when the fight doesn't go my way. 

<S>

Yeah it will if you're not careful.  About 450 I get a little nervous and start backing the throttle down.  If you pull hard gs at 400 you can lose parts too.  I find that I do get kills on guys that think they can dive away from me though, they seem to think that I can't follow them at all over 400, but that's just not the case.  It's also really pretty hard to dive out if the KI is close to you, because their acceleration is so good, it's just hard to pull away from them.  Great plane!
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
The key is to force them to maneuver as you dive out, as the Frank does begin to experience control heaviness as speed piles on (testing offline, she starts to feel heavy around 375-400mph) while the Corsair retains excellent authority well past that. A diving spiral to the right is especially effective, but either direction should do the job. Roll until he's out of phase and you can lose him on the pull-out while he's struggling with his controls.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »
The key is to force them to maneuver as you dive out, as the Frank does begin to experience control heaviness as speed piles on (testing offline, she starts to feel heavy around 375-400mph) while the Corsair retains excellent authority well past that. A diving spiral to the right is especially effective, but either direction should do the job. Roll until he's out of phase and you can lose him on the pull-out while he's struggling with his controls.
<<<will never follow a Hog pilot down anymore because someone has done this exact thing to me while in a KI84.

Good stuff Saxman :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »
You should try using the -1hog for awhile 1st. You will learn good flap management in it and it turns very very well so little mistakes are easily worked out in the -1hog, then graduate to the fattier hogs :aok