Author Topic: Revamp of Strategic Gameplay  (Read 2602 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Revamp of Strategic Gameplay
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
ALL of these threads have been about what motivates specifically "YOU"
It always devolves into each of trying to show the other how smart you are and what your secret wish would be if HiTech was willing to implement it. Throw away your soap boxes gentlemen and think outside of it's woody comfort for the WHOLE community.
I do like your posts a lot of thought has gone in to them.

If it was about me & my skill set there would be nothing but manned soft guns all over the place as that is all I can consider my self truly proficient in. :D

How ever that aside you seem to have planted a seed in Hitech's mind lets see what fruit is generated from it. :aok

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Snailman,

Grizz came to this thread  by stepping away from his narrowly focused strength in Furballing\Deuling and seeing that outside of his short term WANTS the whole game needs something or even his slice of the enjoyment is in peril. He does not endlessly immerss himself in these threads on the infinite vaugeries and strategy nuances of every possible way to change how the game plays. Every other statement made in response by the usual cadre is from a ME box universe perspective. Your anger because I am not taking your syntactical and perenthetic sentence constructs as from the same vein as what motivated Grizz is a validation that you are too close to the issue to give it up and step away to look at it with different eyes. Instead you choose to be insulted and defend your self image as related to this organism called Aces High.

When you inject yourself for a long time into a process such that you beleive you are part of its nuts and bolts like many do on the Forum. You have become so much a part of the organism that you no longer see it from where you were motivated so many years ago when you were an outsider and had not ossified into a member of the organism. Now you have become a defence mechanism for the organism. You know this from the real work world as the reason why your manegment occasionaly brings in fresh blood to look at a problem you know you can solve eventualy but, it's just not responding to you at the current fiscal moment. Any of us who work IT for a living have been through this exact scenario. And you don't take it kindly.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 09:07:56 PM »
When you inject yourself for a long time into a process such that you beleive you are part of its nuts and bolts like many do on the Forum. You have become so much a part of the organism that you no longer see it from where you were motivated so many years ago when you were an outsider and had not ossified into a member of the organism.

You are assuming way too much things about me.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
Most of it used to be in-game -

a) Zone bases - important to hold onto
b) Hi-alt bases - important to hold onto
c) VBase that spawned to HQ - important to hold onto
d) Base next to HQ - important to hold onto

All created large fights, especially when the Vbase into HQ was snuck fully up, or a raid on the base next to HQ.
Most have gone in one form or another.

The very things that caused large scale fights, also seemed to cause the problems.

Fugitive - The chain of bases in a specific order was tested a long while back, didn't go down well at all.
From a purely strategic point of view it prevented any side from doing 'an end run' and opening up a new front, something that comes in really handy if you are penned back.

I know what you speak of, but it's not what I meant.

I was thinking of a group of players using strategy's and tactics by capturing territory or attacking bases in a certain order to make the enemy react in a certain way they by forcing the battles toward your strong points or their weak ones.

Missions use to involve timing, a number of wings taking off from different bases, faints to draw defenders away from the true target and so on. Most of that is lost on todays player because they just have never seen anything but the NOE missions. All of the targets are still there and those who truely want to play a strategic game surely could supply there own motivation to make the plays work.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
As I said before, there is currently no strategic incentive to capture a defended base.
On the flip side, there also needs to be a strategic incentive to defend.

Missions use to involve timing, a number of wings taking off from different bases, faints to draw defenders away from the true target and so on.
This sounds appealing.  I have not seen this outside of FSO.  It seems that the required discipline/motivation is lacking in the MA.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:36 PM »
i agree 1 thing ive noticed along the years is that more and more ppl arent joining missions lately but when they do join the mission goes well. and i also agree on the heavly gaurded bases when a base is heavly gaird and all you have is a string of foes and friendlys goin from that base to the other 1 that is the time to run a mission and take a base and surprise them

RedTail

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 05:19:33 AM »
If as system, Universe is complex one, then it is a failure?
Otherwise it is truly simple?

:headscratch:

That's not the problem for me.

And: who really can belive that human mean life is about 70 years?

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »
Map durations are also part of this discussion.

How much they must be long?

As actually?

Or could it be a downtime after that who have more points he wins the war?

mobilis in mobile

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
I know what you speak of, but it's not what I meant.

I was thinking of a group of players using strategy's and tactics by capturing territory or attacking bases in a certain order to make the enemy react in a certain way they by forcing the battles toward your strong points or their weak ones.

Missions use to involve timing, a number of wings taking off from different bases, faints to draw defenders away from the true target and so on. Most of that is lost on todays player because they just have never seen anything but the NOE missions. All of the targets are still there and those who truely want to play a strategic game surely could supply there own motivation to make the plays work.

Got ya.
Unless things (maps) have changed drastically -
On small ones this alwys seemed to be the way it was done. There were key bases on each map that allowed a logical progression.
The large ones was were it all fell apart.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Map durations are also part of this discussion.

How much they must be long?

As actually?

Or could it be a downtime after that who have more points he wins the war?

You new guys are spoiled. In AW we fought over the same map for years. When we moved here there were only 3 maps I think.

The maps are just a place to play, it's HOW you play that makes it fun.  It's up to you to plan your missions so they are fun and challenging.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
"You new guys are spoiled. In AW we fought over the same map for years." <--- I  :cry for you

What is better to be reach, honest and in good health or to be poor, honest and in good health?   :lol

"The maps are just a place to play, it's HOW you play that makes it fun." <--- it's not the only  
matter of fact (a necessary condition only. Who really could play inside a thrushcan? The beatles!)

What's is better? To play only in one map or to play in a variable map (or in a very extended
and mutable world)?

If maps are not important, then why we have so well designed trees and field and clouds etc.

Variety is a value.

P.S.

Fugitive, I did not lost the other meaning of your opinion. As to say let's do the better by what we have.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:40:43 AM by lulu »
mobilis in mobile

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
You just gave me a new design idea for a new system, has to peculate a bit.

HiTech

Grampa Bustr had a good idea!  Also, peculate has something to do with embezzling Hitech.  Not sure I get your drift... :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
You just gave me a new design idea for a new system, has to peculate a bit.

HiTech

You're going to steal from your company? lol
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »
Maybe we'll see some form of the old Depots brought back.  :aok
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »
Grampa Bustr had a good idea!  Also, peculate has something to do with embezzling Hitech.  Not sure I get your drift... :lol

Yes from Bustr. :)

HiTech