Author Topic: Power supply dead?  (Read 680 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Power supply dead?
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
This morning while playing my computer just shut down. I noticed hot plastic or electrical smell. I unplugged the thing and opened the case up I didn't see anything burnt. I pluuged her back in after a couple hours, and no lights fans...nothing.
Am I right in assuming the power supply took a dump on me? I've taken the power supply out and hooked my multi-meter to it and have no voltage at the plugs that go into the mother board or lights.

It's a LC-A420ATX made by Turbolink. I guess my question is, is it possible this thing could have somehow fryed my motherboard too? And how do I go about checking that out? Has antone else experienced this type of problem and what was the final outcome?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Power supply dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
Yes, most likely culprit - but by no means guaranteed - is the power supply.   

And yes, a failing power supply can take out other components, but *usually* doesn't - it just quits providing all current near enough to simultaneously to not matter.

When it does do a number on things is usually when it stops supplying one voltage - like +12 V - but continues to provide others -like -12V - for long enough for things to fry -  or if a failing component increases the switching frequency out of control and it "overvoltages" as it dies. Thankfully, these are far far less common failures than just losing the capability to supply current at all.

And an important note - you can't just unplug a computer power supply from everything and switch it on to test it *(generally, as soon as I say never someone will come up with some sort of one off odd exception)* .  It's a switching supply, and it needs a certain amount of a load or it can't function.

The best way to test is via stripping the system down to the absolute bare minimum (just the motherboard connected) and it if still won't start, putting a known good unit in.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Cheap PSU is cheap.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »
I'm banking on a failed power supply, and only a failed power supply.  Make sure you get a good one to replace it.

Yes, it is common for other components to be fried as well, but this is USUALLY a result of a power surge or lightning strike nearby... not usually from a power supply that decided to blow itself up for no reason.

I've heard the Seasonic supplies are good... I have a Corsair that actually has Seasonic internals that I like very much.

This is the one I have.. it's modular and I'm very happy with it... with the rebate it's $10 cheaper than I got it for!  Nice...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

enjoy

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
Cheap PSU is cheap.
Yeah for sure. I went and got another one off Ebay for 5 bucks. If it turns out that, that is the problem I'll upgrade later on.  I'm wondering though, are pretty much most power supplys universal or do they all have different plugs depending on the motherboard you're using.

I do plan on getting higher end graphic cards later on and am wanting a power supply in the 600W range. I'm just not sure what'll work with my motherboard at the moment. It's a ASUS M2N-SLI nForce 560. From what I've read on it, it's a pretty good board. Your opinions?
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 07:00:18 AM »
I like that one Trigger. It's in the power range I'm wanting but the plugs for the lights and hard drive are different then what I have. So I guess I do have to be careful that I correctly match power supply with rest of computer components huh? Just any ole power supply won't work  :frown:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52:56 AM »
Uptown, there are two different hard drive plugs.. the SATA power plug (which is included), and the universal four-prong plug (which is included).

As for lights, I don't quite understand what you mean.  It has a 20+4 main motherboard connector (which accommodates both 20 wire and 24 wire main motherboard connectors), and a 4+4 secondary motherboard connector (which accommodates both 4 and 8 wires secondary motherboard connectors).

It also comes with floppy power connectors, video card power connectors, and several extras of just about everything.  Most lights plug into the motherboard itself, and most fans (and lighted fans) use the four-prong plugs if they don't plug into the motherboard itself.

If the power supply is the only problem, then definitely upgrade to a good one, especially if you're running any kind of video card...

As for types.. for the most part they are all ATX compatible these days however the size itself can sometimes differ (but not usually).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:54:29 AM by Tigger29 »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »
Yeppers it was the power supply. The lights I was referring to Trigger are the little blue lights on the face of my tower. They're not for anything other then they look cool in the dark.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:21:27 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Yeppers it was the power supply. The lights I was referring to Trigger are the little blue lights on the face of my tower. They're not for anything other then they look cool in the dark.

Soo..you're back up and running?
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 09:14:37 AM »
that's a rgr Dunnrite.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »
Soo..you're back up and running?

that's a rgr Dunnrite.

With a $5 power supply????? :O   :uhoh

Is this your gaming rig?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
I bought this combo a couple years ago and have not had a single problem.  Nvidia 9800 GTX and a Thermaltake 750 watt ps.  I run the game with all the graphic settings I can get, and usually get 59 fps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431550

Edit: this ps is a 600 watt, I guess the combo I got is not available.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:53:28 AM by dunnrite »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »
With a $5 power supply????? :O   :uhoh

Is this your gaming rig?
:lol yeah it's pityful I know  :cry
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
I bought this combo a couple years ago and have not had a single problem.  Nvidia 9800 GTX and a Thermaltake 750 watt ps.  I run the game with all the graphic settings I can get, and usually get 59 fps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431550

Edit: this ps is a 600 watt, I guess the combo I got is not available.
I like that Dunn. You reckon 600 watts would be good enough for 2 of those video cards?
Lighten up Francis

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
Oh, hell, I don't know about two.  I think the card itself requires 450 or something like that.  Some one else with computer savey would have to answer that.  I damn sure don't have it.  I can install stuff, but as far as knowing what to install I can't help.

I know the one card I use (albeit with a 750 watt) runs the game at full settings and max 59 fps.  I have no idea what the advantage of two would be.