Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 754 times)

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
HELP!!!!
« on: September 15, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
Got the new system up and running today and have hit a stone wall and it is bad!
System specs:
AMD 800mhz T-bird
Asus A7V mobo
256mb pc133 ram
Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS DDR
Toshiba 12x/40x DVD/CD
Plextor 12x/10x/32x CD-RW
SBLive Xgamer
USR 56k external modem

Here are the problems.
1. as soon as I installed the promise ATA100 controller drivers I get a 30-60 sec delay on boot up.  I do have the AGP slot running 4x Turbo mode.
2. I CAN'T GET MY JOYSTICK TO SHOW UP!!!!!(this is the worst problem!)  The game port shows up ok.  But when I tell it to use my MS 3d pro it says not connected.  

Any ideas on where to look and how to get it to recognize my joystick would really help!

Thanks !

S!

Rocket

------------------

VMF-115 Joe's Jokers-RD AH DIV
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2000, 04:23:00 PM »
Try setting it up using Ch flightstick or Ch flightstick pro. My PC wouldn't see mine either but I have it set up (I beleive) as a Ch flightstick pro.

I'm at work now but I will check it out when I get home and post an update.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
I tried a generic 3axis 4 button stick, ch , ch pro no luck ;(
Under
Control panel,
multimedia
joystick port
There aren't any advanced options
It shows it is working fine in the Device manager.  The damn joystick worked fine yesterday in the p133  

Tks for the reply Mighty1 !

S!
Rocket

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
This helped me way back when as I had many problems installing and getting a MS stick working on my PC.
 http://gamers.gamestorm.com/~awstaff/JS/AWMS.html

Try it.

-Westy

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
Westy,

Thanks but no luck  
Gunna keep trying.

S!
Rocket

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
HELP!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2000, 05:28:00 PM »
I suffered the exact same problem with my setup Rocket.  I wish I had some good news for you... but my solution was to by a USB Precision Pro.

And.. since you aren't using that graphics card I sent ya.. can you send it back?  Either that or send me the GeForce2 DDR in its place

AKDejaVu

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2000, 05:32:00 PM »
You also might try the switch on the bottom of the stick AND the CH flightstick pro.

It works with the switch 1 way but not the other. (sorry still at work)

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
HELP!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2000, 05:49:00 PM »
Had this problem before.  The joystick appeared as not connected after upgrading motherboard and cpu.

Make sure you are running the latest Sidewinder software (v. 3.02).  ALSO, download the "Sidewinder 3d Pro upgrade patch".  You can get both here (scoll all the way to the bottom):
 http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/default.htm

I still use my Sidewinder 3d Pro (not USB), but I use it in Win2k and I have no problems.  The above fix worked for me when I was using Win98.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2000, 06:12:00 PM »
Sancho,
  Thanks   That got me closer. I can at least set the stick up as a CH Pro. Damn will miss my 8way hat for abit and the other 4 buttons. But I can fly now  
  Will continue to work on it till I can get it right but this is really damn close!

S!
Rocket

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
HELP!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2000, 09:15:00 PM »
Rocket, I have kind of bad news for both of us it seems.  My system:  Tbird 750, Asus a7v, Vortex 2 soundcard, etc,etc,etc.

First of all, get bios version 1.04a.  This will let you disable the PROMISE ATA 100 controller in the bios.  I think it is called "onboard IDE controller."  This will solve the bootup problem.  As for the soundcard thing, this is a problem.  I've just spent the last 2 days trying to find a solution, and it seems we aren't alone.  ASUS has a message board FLOODED with issues with Vortex cards and SB Live! cards.  They range from failure to detect the card to poor sound.  No one has yet to find a solution.  (Though there are some VERY strange ideas about what to do.  One person suggests removing the standoff nearest the AGP slot and replacing it with a plastic one.  Another bent the backplate on his soundcard and cross-threaded the screw.   ) Here is my problem:  After I load any type of new software that uses the soundcard and restart, Windows will no longer detect my soundcard.  After restarting again it's ok.  I'm also getting a few lockups during boot up every 20 times or so.

I've improved the situation immensely by doing the following:  Bios 1.04a is a must, next disable the ATA 100 controller, now manually set the IRQ for your soundcard to 5.  Also disable the onboard sound and modem '97 codecs.  Reboot windows.  Now go into "Game controllers" pick the advanced tab and under gameport pick the one on your soundcard rather than the "Standard Gameport."  This allowed me to use my Sidewinder without any problems.  Also under the device manager I'd click the properties button for the mass storage adapter (Promise aTA 100 controller) and check the "Disable in this hardware configuration" box.  This makes sure that IRQ 5 isn't being shared.  I'd also get the newest VIA 4-in-1 drivers, especially the IRQ miniport router one.

After doing all this my system is 100% stable ONCE IN WINDOWS.  My joystick and soundcard work perfectly.  Only when I add a program (or do anything that makes changes to the registry) and reboot do I have a problem.  I will get the "Update ESCD" message and my soundcard and gameport will no longer be listed in device manager.  Rebooting again has so far always fixed the problem.  Others have said that after getting everything working that disabling "Plug and Play OS" in the bios will keep this from happening.  I haven't tried it, but I'll bet that it would work.  You will need to enable it if you decide to add another PCI card.

The problem is definately a problem with either the VIA chipset or the ASUS bios.  I'd be looking for immediate updates to the bios and VIA drivers soon.  Trust me, at least a hundred messages are on Asus' board about this problem.

Good luck!  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS