Author Topic: More Gunners in Bombers  (Read 1025 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: More Gunners in Bombers
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 03:26:33 AM »
Search  :banana: Search :banana: Search :banana:
Yay Search  :banana:

Ahh those selective memories of AW are way off base. Ask yourself 1 question. Of the bombers you shot down and were used for bombing, what % of them had at least 1 gunner? They were so rair that you would be surprised if you were attacking a bomber, and it shot back at you.They are so incorrect in only remembering the fun time they had, they forget all the problems. Traveler even thought you could gun your own, which was never the case.

Also ask yourself what %  sorties in AH in a bomber have a gunner?

The real simple FACTS are , all though fully maned bombers where fun. It was very rare to have one, and made bombers used much less because there was no other option. The option of having both in AH has large trade offs in concerning how to control multiple guns, the extra data used in sending the shooting guns, the lag of changing positions in guns.

HiTech
The choices.

1. How often would all stations maned.
2. How important is it to see where the gunners are shooting.
3. How important is it to be able to quickly jump to a position.
4. Would a formation of 7 groups be better and more usefull than 1 full bomber.
5. How much extra band width would be needed to handle each station.
6. How much extra memory to be able to keep track of each gun.
7. How to handled unmanend guns.
8. How complex would a system be to have multiple gunners handleing multiple guns.
9 . How to hand off ammo loads when some one leaves.
10. How long would this system take to write.

In the end I looked at all of these questions, and decided it wasn't worth the few times you actulaly load up a bomber with gunners.

HiTech

wrongway
(searching so you don't have tooooo)
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 06:48:09 AM »
We wouldnt want to make Nemisis feel bad.
Strokes

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »
I would love to be able to fill up the gunner positions.  But in order to do that, I would suggest that if you only have 1 gunner, everything the way it is now stays the same.  If you have 2 or more gunners, only that gun that is occupied will fire on all 3 bombers.  IE: if the top turret and tail is occupied, then only the upper  turret will fire on all the formation bombers when he pulls the trigger.  The tail gunner will fire when he pulls the trigger.  I believe having this setup would bring a happy medium.

As it is now, it is very hard to defend yourself in a bomber when u have 2 or more bogey's attacking you.  You can only shot at 1 if your by yourself.  If you happen to have a gunner with you, then u can track 2.  3 or more bogey's and it all done. 
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
     I imagine real life gunners had a hard time defending against 2-3 simultaneous bandits
as well.....welcome to HTC realism  :aok
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars