Author Topic: Multiple gunners  (Read 1498 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Multiple gunners
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
Pilots could never man guns in buffs.  Only choice was pilot or navigator.  If u upped without gunners u were ded meat as gunners could not be added in mid flight.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
Nope.  Need backup?  Check out this scene from the great old sci-fi flick called The Last Starfighter:
Death-Blossom!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8

Model reference for the spixteen?

:noid
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »
+1 On the idea!

I in general don't fly bombers, but the idea of having multiple gunners makes it a different story.

I can see it turn into a hype just like WW1 though.

Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »
And as soon as the tail guns are taken nobody will want to gun for you  :D

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »

I didn't find that to be true in AW, was it a problem for you, were you asking for gunners and no one wanted to fly with you in AW?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »

In AW, it was usually the waist guns that no one wanted to man since you rarely got good shots on the bandit.  The first one to go was usually chin, followed by tail and then top turret.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 03:06:06 AM »
ball and upper were requested more than tail then chin, and people would rather have navigator than waist guns.

semp

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 03:48:39 AM »
Multiple gunners would be a nice add to the game. It would be so awesome to have a gang of friends in one B-17 shooting at fiendish jerries.

:aok
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »
Ahh those selective memories of AW are way off base. Ask yourself 1 question. Of the bombers you shot down and were used for bombing, what % of them had at least 1 gunner? They were so rair that you would be surprised if you were attacking a bomber, and it shot back at you.They are so incorrect in only remembering the fun time they had, they forget all the problems. Traveler even thought you could gun your own, which was never the case.

Also ask yourself what %  sorties in AH in a bomber have a gunner?

The real simple FACTS are , all though fully maned bombers where fun. It was very rare to have one, and made bombers used much less because there was no other option. The option of having both in AH has large trade offs in concerning how to control multiple guns, the extra data used in sending the shooting guns, the lag of changing positions in guns.

HiTech

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Ahh those selective memories of AW are way off base. Ask yourself 1 question. Of the bombers you shot down and were used for bombing, what % of them had at least 1 gunner? They were so rair that you would be surprised if you were attacking a bomber, and it shot back at you.They are so incorrect in only remembering the fun time they had, they forget all the problems. Traveler even thought you could gun your own, which was never the case.

The real simple FACTS are , all though fully maned bombers where fun. It was very rare to have one, and made bombers used much less because there was no other option. The option of having both in AH has large trade offs in concerning how to control multiple guns, the extra data used in sending the shooting guns, the lag of changing positions in guns.

HiTech

All memories are selective.  Upon asking myself that one question, my selective memories is that more then half the bombers that I shot down had one or more gunners.  That’s how I remember it.  Was that a rare event, not as I remember it. 

Are the former AW players “incorrect in only remembering the fun time they had?”  I have no idea.  Do former AW players forget all the problems?  Again I have no idea what “They” remember.  However,  speaking for myself with my selective memories, I don’t remember “all the problems”, I paid my money and played the game.

It worked for me.  My Dad enjoyed it.  As I remember most of the guys that played enjoyed it.  But that’s how I remember it.  Its obvious to me that the this wish and the op's request is a dead issue and will never happen. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »

HiTech

Deathstars were a rare sight, well not rare like hardly ever happend but more like not very often.  On the other hand, it was more common to see at least one gunner on a buff and you could always bet on the B-17 flying at 20k was ungunned.  I remember the problems too, a lot of times it was rather laggy and sometimes you'd get discoed or warp because someone onboard connection was in the crapper.  Regardless of the problems, it was still fun to man a Deathstar and it sucked attacking one.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 05:43:12 PM »
I was with the 327th steel rain we all upped with at least one gunner every time.  Also remember playing late at note only like 15 in the game and we would up a buff with 3 or 4 gunners and just shoot the breeze.  Was fun, but different times, different game.

Semp

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »

HiTech
For one: I believe the only reason many bomber sorties in AH do not have gunners is because they are not necessary unlike AW. Two: Could it be possible to allow 2 gunner positions AND the pilot to gun if necessary? This would allow slaved guns and also better armament for bomber groups AND at the same time people who are attacking the Bombers would have to rely on teamwork and tactics much more often to accomplish their goal of destroying the bomber group...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
You can't do that because currently all guns aim at one point. There's no way to decide the arbitrary question of "Which guns will point which way for which gunners" in a more-than-one-gunner situation.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »
You can't do that because currently all guns aim at one point. There's no way to decide the arbitrary question of "Which guns will point which way for which gunners" in a more-than-one-gunner situation.
then simply allow the first gunner to occupy the bomber to take control of the slaved guns and every extra to take an open position and there would be one less slave gun for the original gunner
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy