Author Topic: Thanks again Agent360  (Read 5448 times)

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
Re: Thanks again Agent360
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2010, 06:04:31 AM »
I think its about time we have another car pic or two now..  :D  :rock

TheStig

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »
Australian Style 1973 Ford XB GT-351.

Now that is a car.  Looks very familiar. Oh say about a 1970-1971 Ford Torino with the hood scoops from a 1972 Mustang Mach I.  Like you taste in cars.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:27:25 AM by Wagger »

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »
The one on my pics is my 1973 Camaro Z28 by the way, but it is powered by a Ford 400M Cleveland..  :noid
TheStig

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »
I had a 72 firebird that looked just like it .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
You are sort of correct but literally.

Empirical victory is an actual legal term used to define a legal victory at great cost, or to describe a victory that doesn't result in serious punishment.

Sorry to be a smarty pants but your English lesson is annoying me.  First of all its not called an "empirical" victory...its an "empiric" victory.  That IS the actual term you were searching for.  In the legal sense an EMPIRIC VICTORY is where the plaintiff wins but is not satisfied with the results.  It has nothing to do with "a great cost etc."  So lets say you sue a drug company and you win but are awarded only one dollar in damages and you were hoping for more.  You technically win but you don't get the secondary gain you expected from the victory.   I guess your hope was by giving up on the fight you would give the OP a "hollow victory."  But at least lets establish that this is the term you meant to use...Empiric Victory.  It would be sad for AHers to be running around impressing folks with their usage of the term "empirical victory".  Though I would have enjoyed watching a lawyer's face as he was lectured about "the great cost of an empirical victory" :D

A "Pyrrhic victory" IS a military term normally used to describe battles.

This is not a term that makes any sense with your post.   "The phrase is named after King Pyrrhus of Epirus, whose army suffered irreplaceable casualties in defeating the Romans at Heraclea in 280 BC and Asculum in 279 BC during the Pyrrhic War." (quoted for succintness from wiki).  This was not a hollow victory...King Pyrrhus kept winning battles but could not replace his men at the rate the Romans could.  In a sense it was an unsustainable victory. I don't have any idea how your original comment uses this term properly.  I was amused by your entreaty for us to "look it up."  I hope this helps

The terms have become used in many types of analogies involving all mannor of discussions....business..phil osophy..debate...etc.

The term as I used it describes the second definition: A hollow or meaningless victory. You win but get nothing for it.

The point is not about the victory but what it cost or more accurately here what you didn't gain
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:08:18 AM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2010, 02:55:49 AM »

Falconwing,

Since you brought it up.

I am sorry to have to school you like this but...

Empiric is a noun.
Use: Zoney is an empiric. (which he is not, or at least I don't think he is)

Empirical is an adjective.
Use: I gave Zoney an empirical victory.

Empirical being the adjective to victory. I did not call Zoney an empiric as this would be an insult in this situation.

A Pyrrhic victory: You are correct on your origin of the phrase. What you do not understand is how to use the phrase in context other than the pure definition.

An "empiric victory" IS a legal term. The word "empiric" is used as a noun to refer to the defendant in legal cases where the plantiff looses at great cost in either expenses or effort, or, results in a technical victory resulting in no punishment in relation to the crime....more of a slap on the wrist.

Both words are often used in the same sense. It depends on what context one is speaking.

In my use of the phrase an "empirical victory" would be correct. However, we have been debating a topic involving combat. So perhaps "pyrrhical victory" might have been appropriate as well.

Except that, empirical is more appropriate due to the context of the use. Empirical is more widely known due to its legal use and is more commonly used in reference to business, philosophy or debate.

Pyrrhic is better used in references to military or perhaps political battles.

Really though, one could say "empirical victory" or "Pyrrhic victory", it just depends on the topic at hand.

Empirical is often used to desribe a "hollow victory" or a "victory of no value, as nothing is gained".

I chose to use "empirical" because I thought it applied to the topic better than "Pyrrhic".

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:58:58 AM by Agent360 »

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
Falconwing,

Since you brought it up.
I am sorry to have to school you like this but...

Empiric is a noun.
Use: Zoney is an empiric. (which he is not, or at least I don't think he is)

Empirical is an adjective.
Use: I gave Zoney an empirical victory.

No no no....you are creating new words inappropriately....you gave him an empiric victory.  To use your words "look it up"  

Empirical being the adjective to victory. I did not call Zoney an empiric as this would be an insult in this situation.

Why would you call him an empiric???  That makes no sense as an option?  We agree that noone is an empiric :aok

A Pyrrhic victory: You are correct on your origin of the phrase. What you do not understand is how to use the phrase in context other than the pure definition.

O rly???????

An "empiric victory" IS a legal term. The word "empiric" is used as a noun to refer to the defendant in legal cases where the plantiff looses at great cost in either expenses or effort, or, results in a technical victory resulting in no punishment in relation to the crime....more of a slap on the wrist.

Once again you are missing the true usage of the legal term.  It has nothing to do with how much the victory "cost" you.  It is that even though you won....you did not get what you were looking for.  In a sense you are half right.

Both words are often used in the same sense. It depends on what context one is speaking.

In my use of the phrase an "empirical victory" would be correct. However, we have been debating a topic involving combat. So perhaps "pyrrhical victory" might have been appropriate as well.

No No No again!!!  This is a perfect example of what you can not do....You don't say Pyrhhical...the term is phyrric victory.  You don't make up a conjugation by saying "pyrrhical".   You are inventing conjugations of the word that are not appropriate.  Just as you don't invent phyrrical you can't invent empirical as a the way to describe an empiric victory.  Nouns can be used as adjectives...maybe that is what you are missing here???  I can say "an American victory"  without haviing to say "an Americanal victory".   

Except that, empirical is more appropriate due to the context of the use. Empirical is more widely known due to its legal use and is more commonly used in reference to business, philosophy or debate.

Pyrrhic is better used in references to military or perhaps political battles.

No...Pyrrhical "references" an ancient battle for its context...but its common usage has to do with non-military situations.

Really though, one could say "empirical victory" or "Pyrrhic victory", it just depends on the topic at hand.

If one topic had to do with winning in an unsustainable manner (phyrric victory) vs winning in a manner that does not provide satisfaction (empiric victory)

Empirical is often used to desribe a "hollow victory" or a "victory of no value, as nothing is gained".

I chose to use "empirical" because I thought it applied to the topic better than "Pyrrhic".

You are correct that the situation being discussed is most closely represented (from your viewpoint) as an empiric victory.  At least that is why you let yourself be shotdown.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:04:47 AM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2010, 08:43:09 AM »
More cars please.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »
what he said ^^
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
More cars please.

I had one of these for a summer in the Mid 80's.

Buddy had one of these

We spent a lot of $ on tires IIRC.

I will say my all time favorite car I had growing up was this...

It was a custom 98 owned by a GM executive (my dad managed the benefits for the Missouri Auto Dealers Association) and had a few 'special' options in it that were not release by GM for a few years.  (such as a factory digital stereo)

Last of the cast iron .350's and built like a tank.  I once ramped it off a bridge and got a good 50' of air a la Dukes of Hazzard.
(another story and the car was never quite right after I did that...)

There is something to be said for being 16yrs old and having a car you could lay down flat in the back set of.

Unlike the picture mine was Gold in color and was nicknamed "the Goldsmobile" but I could only find this tiny pic of it in that color.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:19:19 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »

:D
See Rule #4

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »
WOW , My 72 firebird looked just like that trans am , lol .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »

Someone is getting OWNT  :aok  I'm just not smart enough to know who  :huh   :rofl   :O   :uhoh    :headscratch:

:bolt:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:52:02 PM by shreck »