Author Topic: "System Display Toggle" Function Remapping  (Read 611 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
"System Display Toggle" Function Remapping
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:35:57 PM »
I can re-map the "System Display Toggle" function. Normally it is mapped to "Ctrl-I", but I prefer to map it to "j".

That works just fine.

However, when the System Display information is visible at the top of the screen, the following text is always included:

"<Ctrl I toggles display>"

My guess is that prompt is hard-coded into the program. It should use a symbolic reference that changes when I remap the function, or the message should be eliminated.

-Peabody-

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: "System Display Toggle" Function Remapping
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »
I believe that CNTRL I is built in, as it has always been for Frame Rate info.

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
So not really a bug, more a wish... :salute

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:35:19 AM »
I can re-map this function just like any other. It's NOT hard-coded. Only the prompt is permanent. Thus it's a small bug. Not a big problem. I'm sure that when HTC has time to look into this, he will fix it.

-Peabody-

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:45:20 PM »
I can re-map this function just like any other. It's NOT hard-coded. Only the prompt is permanent. Thus it's a small bug. Not a big problem. I'm sure that when HTC has time to look into this, he will fix it.

-Peabody-

The key mapping is mapped on your client...in order for the prompt to change...the code would have to make resource file call and read your config, parse it, and then assign a variable that then gets folded into the text displayed...

It would be easier for them to just deep six the prompt altogether than right a new function...after all if you have it mapped to "j", do you really need it to tell you that when it tells you after you hit the key?

Seems like it would be telling you something you already know...

Oneway

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
Oneway, you have a good understanding of the situation, and I think you are correct regarding the potential fix. The clipboard uses a mechanism like you describe to reveal local mapping of configured keys and controls. Although the programmer could use this kind of mechanism in the permanent onscreen prompt, I too think that the simplest fix would be to get rid of the static prompt altogether. If they decide to leave that prompt up all of the time, then I think it would better to make sure it's accurate. Not a big deal either way....

-Peabody-

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
IIRC the system display comes up the first time you start the game. If the promp were not included it will be one more question every new player will ask.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"