Author Topic: Gun sight image size analysis  (Read 31490 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Gun sight image size analysis
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
I've been following this thread and AKDogg's post lead me to this vid,it's quite interesting as it shows many options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayasHQYEGM&feature=related

:salute

PS: great stuff Baum. :aok

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »
Some do and some don't, so I'm trying to be as specific as possible for each sight model and each implementation.

Having properly scaled the sights for a PB4Y-1 (B-24J) I can see that once again HTC got it right by allowing individual sights for each position. Since each turret is slightly different, I have scaled each turrets unique size, this is especially handy with the many different sights the Navy used.   
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
Most gunsight reticules showed larger the the reflector glass.  Here is what I mean as a example:

Type 98 gunsight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsVg8F91t8

Mk. VIII gunsight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7KvpWloagE&feature=related

RAF TypeI Mk,II gunsight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blem3FlkaMc&feature=related

Looks like they showed somewhat larger than the physical projector lens, too. That means that a full sized Mk.VIII for the F4U would be completely fine, even though it's larger than the projector.

So how about it, HiTech? Can we get the F4U's gunsight enlarged now? :pray :pray :pray
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Actually Saxman I've been doing a lot of research on this and the reflector sights have a collimated lens configuration so the image can't be larger than the lens. There can be a larger image in the reticule that you see when you move your head around but the image width has to stay the same.

I hope to be purchasing a working Mk8 MOD6 very soon and will be glad to share anything I learn. BTW the MOD6 is the version that shines directly on the screen not a sight glass.
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 01:35:26 AM »
nice short vid showing RAF Mk II Reflector in action :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blem3FlkaMc
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »

This is absolutely 100% incorrect. Objects appear exactly as they should. And are rendered in the exact same way as any other 3D game.

Baumer,

doug and I spoke of the issue we will be both changing the way the sight works, I.E. a 70 mill ring will stay 70 mill as you move you head fwd and back.

Also we will be changing the size of some of the smaller sights if we can.

Baumer, how many mills do you think the bmp should be accross?

HiTech

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
Hitech setting the sight texture to 128 Mil works out great. 
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
Hitech setting the sight texture to 128 Mil works out great. 

So what, that means on my system I'd have sights up to 138px across (1920 resolution at 100 FoV)?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
doug and I spoke of the issue we will be both changing the way the sight works, I.E. a 70 mill ring will stay 70 mill as you move you head fwd and back.
:aok :aok :aok

Next update is going to be very nice :)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
Actually if I understood Hitech correctly, you'll have a maximum 140 pixel sight Saxman.

There was a difference in how HTC calculates the Mil versus what I posted above. So the sight will be correct in all planes not just the Corsar.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:58:20 PM by Baumer »
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
 :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
Great news Hitech, and big thanks to you Baumer! :aok
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
Many Thanks Boumer And to you as-well hitech. I cant wait for the new gunsight's in the next update now :)
Tell me hitech the sight's that can be manualy adjusted are we going to beable to do that with them or we waiting a bit longer for that one  :headscratch: :headscratch

Any Hoow Nice work cant wait to kill kill kill kill more plane's now :)  :aok :aok :aok :aok
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »
Your quite welcome, and yes you will still be able to make custom sights. Now it will be possible to accurately scale the historically correct ones.

Wmaker do you know what model of sight was used in the Brewster?
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
Wmaker do you know what model of sight was used in the Brewster?

Our Brewster uses Finnish Vaisala T.h.m.40 sight which is basically a license built German Revi 3C/D. What I do not know is if the sight picture was the same as in Revi 3s or was it some sort of "unique" Finnish design. We asked this a few years ago from one of the Finnish Brewster-veteran's Mr.Georg Strömberg. He just recalled that it had " a somekind of cross reticle" but didn't he remember enough to describe it accurately...which is rather understandable considering the time passed and the rather specific nature of the question. :)  :salute

I'm currently using my own Revi3D modification of Vuokko's Revi C/12D. AFAIK it isn't scaled in anyway but it looks good. :)

Here's the sight picture of a Revi 3C/D from the Revi 3C/D manual:

AFAIK the inner ring isn't there in the sight itself, it's only drawn to the drawing to illustrate the distance of which the ends of the horisontal lines represent

Another possibility is that the T.h.m.40 resembled this T.h.m.44 sight which was of Finnish design and used in the Finnish VL Myrsky fighters:

http://gunsight.jp/b/1/sight-thm44kk.htm

I should get off my lazy a** and call/e-mail to couple Finnish aviation museums...then I'd probably know for sure. :)

Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!