Author Topic: Gun sight image size analysis  (Read 31491 times)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Re: Gun sight image size analysis
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
The numbers for the Revi 3C/D are similar to the numbers I have for the 16B.

I'll try and scale it to see if there's going to be an issue with the B-239 sight fitting.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
Your quite welcome, and yes you will still be able to make custom sights. Now it will be possible to accurately scale the historically correct ones.

Wmaker do you know what model of sight was used in the Brewster?

I wonder how they're going to do it. Are they going to keep it at the same pix/mil scale (IE, 140px on a 1920 monitor) for each plane and just cut off the parts that are too big for the glass so it looks like the video Dogg posted (and as you move your head around more or less of the sight will be visible)?

Also, what is the pixel to mil conversion of the actual BMP file itself in a paint program going to be? 1px = 1 mil (would seem to be easier to work with) or 2px = 1 mil (allowing more detailed 256x256 BMP files)?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
I hope they keep it simple if all possible Saxman.  I hate to have to completely redo my historical sights pack.  

Baumer and wmaker, it would be greatly appreciated if you guys would send me any info on any gunsights u may have so I can check the historical sights pack for accuracy and correct reticule for the planes.  If not, I understand.

Here is what I have:

www.arabian-knights.org/files/Dogg/Histgunsightdocs.zip

http://www.errthum.com/troy/warbirds/gunsites/history.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:22:07 PM by AKDogg »
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
got to say this thread is a great example of how users and devs can interact to create a better product :aok

I only wish the devs of some of the BS business apps I encounter would take note and do more of this  :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
From talking with Hitech it sounds like the sight.bmp will be scaled to 128 Mils. So for a 256x256 bitmap it would be 2 pixels per Mil. That texture is then placed on the sight poly and if the image is larger than the poly it will be truncated similar to the videos (I think).

And going forward just to be clear, 1 Mil for HTC equals 0.05730 degrees versus the 0.05625 degrees I was using. Although (as usual) Hitech was going faster than I could keep up  :)  I'm sure it makes sense. But regardless of which Mil you use the sight.bmp will handle the largest angles correctly.   

AKDogg I think it would be easier for me to go over all the sights with you on a phone call or Skype if you have it. Or I can set you up on my squads Ventrillo if that works better.

Just send me a PM and we can work it out.
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
got to say this thread is a great example of how users and devs can interact to create a better product :aok

I completely agree, if you take your time, and present your information in a clear manner, HTC seems very willing to work through any issues. This has been one of the biggest surprises for me, with regards to the game, and is an example of why HTC is so successful in their field.

Now I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I was wondering, since you're already working on the code to make these changes, is there any possibility of getting an analog command to control the alpha setting HTC? Since most sights historically had a rheostat (or a dim/bright switch) to adjust the brightness it would be extra handy to have as well.

:pray   :angel: 

If not, I completely understand and I'm very happy for the next release, but if by chance you can fit that in it would be absolutely wonderful.   
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
You've got a magic touch, Baumer, I mentioned this way back when the Hogs got updated and not a word. Think you can convince Hitech to give us that lighter land-based FG-1A? ;-)
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
AKDogg I think it would be easier for me to go over all the sights with you on a phone call or Skype if you have it. Or I can set you up on my squads Ventrillo if that works better.

Just send me a PM and we can work it out.

What ever is easiest for u. <S>

BTW, if u decide to call me, number is on our CM board.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
I completely agree, if you take your time, and present your information in a clear manner, HTC seems very willing to work through any issues. This has been one of the biggest surprises for me, with regards to the game, and is an example of why HTC is so successful in their field.

Now I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I was wondering, since you're already working on the code to make these changes, is there any possibility of getting an analog command to control the alpha setting HTC? Since most sights historically had a rheostat (or a dim/bright switch) to adjust the brightness it would be extra handy to have as well.

:pray   :angel: 

If not, I completely understand and I'm very happy for the next release, but if by chance you can fit that in it would be absolutely wonderful.   

Now i wonder that if HTC update the gunsight's for every model if they would also upgrade them. I mean allow us the ability to adjust our gun sights on aircraft that they can be adjusted on. Be a bit better i believe as then if you adjust your convergance then you can either raise or lower the gun sight so that when you fire you see the round's converge in the centre and not slightly above and below. If HTC like's i shall try and find some information on this.
as with the proper info i believe that HTC would upgrade the sight's with this capability.
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 03:56:57 PM »
I read your post 3 times BulletVI and I don't understand what you're asking about. I'm sorry if these questions sound simplistic but lets start with these;

Do you know how to change the convergence of your guns in the hanger?

Do you know you can make you own custom gun sight?

Can you give a specific example of what you are talking about?
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »
I think what he is talking about is setting the range on the gunsight.  Some gunsights had a range switch on them that u can adjust or plane selector switch.  Some gunsights had different colors to select from to by a flip of a switch.  ex., the japanese type 98 gunsight had 2 colors, white and orangish red.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »
Great job Baumer and devs! While we're at it, maybe you guys could figure out how to make the sights adjustable for target size, ie. being able to adjust base range/wingspan setting so we know what 200 yds looks like from any target, not just fighters. Range icons are for kids  :devil
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »
I think what he is talking about is setting the range on the gunsight.  Some gunsights had a range switch on them that u can adjust or plane selector switch.  Some gunsights had different colors to select from to by a flip of a switch.  ex., the Japanese type 98 gunsight had 2 colors, white and orange red.
S AkDogg said but as well as change colour and size an what not. British gun sight's where adjustable as we recognised that a 6' 6" tall pilot for example even hunched over never had a level line of sight through the gun sight.

Thus he then could fly to the gunnery range and have his aircraft raised at the tail to imitate level flight and fire his gun's. Now if his bullet's converged and they converged just above and below the centre dot that is on the standard British gun sight the pilot could then raise the gun sight so that the centre dot was bang in the middle of where the bullet rounds converged.

Our gun sight on our fighter's are basically manually calibrated and adjusted to the shooter's preferred setting's as you would do when you shoot a rifle on the firing range. you adjust the sight's to give you more accuracy i.e 2 clicks up 1 click left.

That's what many of the British and i believe some German sight's where able to be manually calibrated.

But further investigation is needed on this matter i do believe.
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 11:21:08 PM »
Yes there are adjustments you can make on a Barr and Stroud GM2/MkII sight.

No you could not set it to a 6 foot tall man. The adjustment was for wingspan with a minimum of 20 feet and a maximum of 100 feet. This moved the horizontal bars in or out, to the correct space for wingtip to wingtip from the dead 6. See the image below for the bars I'm talking about.

The next adjustment was to allow for the drop due to gravity at that range. This did nothing to calculate lead only to compensate for gravity in straight and level flight.

Almost all of this can be accounted for with the limitation that you have to make the sight for a set wingspan. As it is with the icons, you have much more reliable ranging system than the sight would be. And you can use the ".target" command off-line to check for bullet drop at your selected convergence (and then modify the sight bitmap if necessary).

So with it's limited usability and not really addressing any current limitation, I see little need for HTC to spend development time on it. But who knows, they may think it's worthwhile, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »
I have a question: does AH convergence take into account bullet drop or not?  (i.e. if I set the convergence for a long distance does it cause the guns to fire slightly upward so the bullet drops back down to the sight point at the convergence range?)