Author Topic: Herding Arenas !!!  (Read 6300 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Re: Herding Arenas !!!
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
Didn't seem to stop you from commenting did it? :)

With Spin being a long time player, I'm sure he remembers the dial up days, and all the waiting too.  You either follow the herd or start a new one which is why some of us try and keep Blue busy when we get to fly. 

There will be no magic answer.  HTC has explained it many times. 

All that being said, I seem to be able to get into any arena I want to get into and the wait has never been long.  I'd guess that my flying time is about as limited as Spin's too.

It didn't seem to stop you from commenting on my comment about Testas316 comment did it?

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
It didn't seem to stop you from commenting on my comment about Testas316 comment did it?

Could you say that agin a little slower?  some of us sheep herders / buffers / spit16 drivers didn't quite follow all that comment about wadda ya call him's comment about the comment he was commenting on ..... I think!!

....cheers eh! :D
wreked

...oh ya Spin - there has to be a dozen+ threads on "Caps" (do a search) - many with replies from Hitech giving the reasoning - a business decision.
Suck it up and hang around - a small price we have to endure to play one of the best sims out there!
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
Gee whiz, never seen this topic brought up before.  :confused:
Lighten up Francis

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
Or  you  could  just  go  to   the  oth  er  a re na.

The game is what you make of it.

wrongway

Actually it isn't. It's what the community makes of it. The very best thing about this game getting together a squad of like minded people and enjoying their company. The arena caps prevent that over and over. It could be viewed as my "fault" because my time zone doesn't synch very well with the rest of the world, but it is maddening to watch caps never dip below the maximum allowed in the arena where the important part of your AH community resides.

Grizz - in terms of "many" reasons why the caps are implemented I've only ever seen one official explanation for them being implemented and that is simply that HTC perceive that people behave badly in large arenas.
Retired

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
Actually it isn't. It's what the community makes of it. The very best thing about this game getting together a squad of like minded people and enjoying their company. The arena caps prevent that over and over. It could be viewed as my "fault" because my time zone doesn't synch very well with the rest of the world, but it is maddening to watch caps never dip below the maximum allowed in the arena where the important part of your AH community resides.

Grizz - in terms of "many" reasons why the caps are implemented I've only ever seen one official explanation for them being implemented and that is simply that HTC perceive that people behave badly in large arenas.

And the community seems to insist on whining about not being able to fly in the full arena instead of adapting and flying where you can.  Make it a squad dictum to go to the less full arena first. 

Problem solved.

Shouldn't actually playing the game be one of the top priorities or is it more of a social networking type of thing?

I still think 24 hour a day caps would keep the numbers between the two LW arenas closer because... they would be in effect all the time.  No time for the numbers in one arena to grow disproportionately larger than the other.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
That argument doesn't work, because the squad doesn't log in as a whole at the same time.

The social networking is more important to me. The fact that I can play this game with real people and indulge my WWII fetish with a bunch of like minded people is the best part of it. If it was solely gameplay I wouldn't have moved from AW to AH.
Retired

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
Textast316 are you the grand wizard of these forums ? Who cares who he is. Is he not allowed to make a comment unless he has more than one star beside his name? You forum junkies are funny to watch. Your probably thinking: "How dare that one star dweeb make a comment on my forums!"

no wizard here, not even a forum junky. Definitly not one to come in here and threaten to leave because I dont like something in the game, caps, radar, hoing, etc. I dont care, simple as that. If you dont like the game, leave. We all do from time to time, if I get tired of it I leave, I come back when Im ready. I dont threaten to take my $15 bucks and go home if HT doesnt meet my demands. I dont cry when something is changed for an obvious reason. You do. Look at all the threads over and over about the Cap or anything that is constantly brought up, whined about, explained til everyone that accepts it is blue in the face. This is one of them. Dont like it: leave, you dont want to understand it, not anybody else problem but yours. Its not that big a deal. People come and go. Your still in a tizzy over radar, ice your taint and get over it, its just a game.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
That argument doesn't work, because the squad doesn't log in as a whole at the same time.

The social networking is more important to me. The fact that I can play this game with real people and indulge my WWII fetish with a bunch of like minded people is the best part of it. If it was solely gameplay I wouldn't have moved from AW to AH.

Sure it works.

You're in an arena they can't get in to so you move to their arena. They're in an arena you can't get in to so they move to you.

Piece o' cake.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 10:24:36 PM »
Sure it works.

You're in an arena they can't get in to so you move to their arena. They're in an arena you can't get in to so they move to you.

Piece o' cake.

I think you may want to rephrase that statement. I know what you mean, but that line doesn't work.

My bugbear is when you are talking about LWO having a cap of 300 with 350 people in it and LWB have a cap of 350 and 42 people in it. There is no way I would even ask squaddies to abandon target rich LWO to go to LWB and its side hopping milk runners. It's actually vaguely rude to expect people to ruin their fun because 1 person can't get into an arena when 12 (or more are already in there and having a ball.
Retired

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »
well then explain grizz.  I dont fly as often as you so Id like you to look at this from any other perspective than your own.  Looking fowd to some flight time then meeting with trying to find a fight in an arena with 46 sticks....perhaps I dont have the time to do that, perhaps Id like to just jump into a populated arena and find a fight.  Is that too much to ask for the subscription I pay?  Im not here to start or provoke a flame fest but ive been around long enough and invested enough time and money into whats finally become AHII that I feel I have the right to ask more of our service provider, this is important to me, im asking all those who care about this to voice along with me.  If there is enough demand then change will happen if not then I will wait for the next evolution of the game to return.  I quit this game for 10 yrs I'll do it again:))

:airplane: Don't need a change, works fine the way it is. Other night I needed to get into Orange for Squad night it was 285/200, I was in in less then 3 minutes because with those numbers Blue fill up rapidly so Orange cap soon jumps to
300 or more. Also some of you that whine about EW or MW ought to fly them more often, some of the best fights are found in those arenas, never have a problem finding fights in either EW or MW. I am pretty loyal to my chess piece in Orange and Blue but in other arenas have no problem to changing countries to low number side and have a lot of fun causing grief for the rolling base takers. :devil

This has been flogged so many times you  would think everyone understood it by now.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
in all the years i've been playing, i've never once had trouble getting into any of the arenas.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
Arena caps, can be a headache but they are there for a reason.. Search it, read it and let it go.. Not going to change and there is always a place open to fly and fight.. The longest I've had to physically wait for "my" arena to open was 20 mins.. The avg. time for that inconvenient but occasional nuisance is probably more like 2 mins. or less..

They would not be there without reason....

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »

I rest my case :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 11:28:06 PM »
My bugbear is when you are talking about LWO having a cap of 300 with 350 people in it and LWB have a cap of 350 and 42 people in it. There is no way I would even ask squaddies to abandon target rich LWO to go to LWB and its side hopping milk runners. It's actually vaguely rude to expect people to ruin their fun because 1 person can't get into an arena when 12 (or more are already in there and having a ball.

So sorry. I got confused. I thought when you posted this two posts ago..."The social networking is more important to me. The fact that I can play this game with real people and indulge my WWII fetish with a bunch of like minded people is the best part of it. If it was solely gameplay I wouldn't have moved from AW to AH." it was actually something that you believed. I was apparently wrong and apologize.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline SpinMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2010, 12:13:15 AM »
They change the radar setting so give it time. i bet Hitech will do something new arena numbers.

Grizz im all for choice and I understand the community not being able to self balance, but there is a better option, make a static cap, call it 300, 250 switch it up until a good balance is felt within the community.  Im no genius here but ive seen this game evolve through just about every eventuality.  AW,AWI, II, III, had many many arenas, most of the vets you enjoy flying with today I saw as noobs starting out, some even are still around that were flying a long time before me.  The choice of arenas is great for variation of maps and terrains, back when I played 2 or 3 or 4 hours a night and often more this setup would probably not bother me as it doesnt you, but now it affects me adversely and Im venting.  The thousands of dollars ive invested in AH and those companies before should listen to the community and if they dont then as the companies before will be superceeded ask HTC how he started aces high?  Folks were so po'd at certain ways the game was going and the powers that be seemed to not listen or were unwilling to invest the capital to effect the change to meet with the tech available to provide us with better value for money.  Nothing changes if nothing gets said! 
Otto-Ghecko-Salamander-SpinMan

<<<Anyone Can Defend Themselves!  Only The Best Can Defend The Bombers>>>