Author Topic: Yermolayev Yer-2  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
Re: Yermolayev Yer-2
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 02:23:30 AM »
Tu-2 was actually only a 2 engine craft, much like the Yer-2, the only 4 engine bombers the USSR had in the war to my knowledge are the TB-3 and the PE-8, both of which didnt have any affect on the war
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
Tu-2 was actually only a 2 engine craft, much like the Yer-2, the only 4 engine bombers the USSR had in the war to my knowledge are the TB-3 and the PE-8, both of which didnt have any affect on the war

The Pe-8 could carry a pretty heavy bomb-load 11k lbs if I remember correctly.
The TB-3 was a very early production bomber, I'm not sure if it was used extensively in it's time or even at all. I'm sure Karnak could fill in the details if he recognizes the plane. I'll do some research on the TB-3, I'm not entirely familiar with it, just a few small facts. So far these seem like pretty good ideas.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
From the front it kind of looks like an over size twin engine Stuka.

I'm all for it.

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
@ fb, the TB 3's time had come and gone before the outbreak of the war, while it was used alot durring the winter war in its primary roll, bombing, after this, in the mid war years, it became more of a testing platform for a  "fighter mothership" then in ww2, its roll was more of a transport then anything else, with the Pe-8 it too saw limited service, most of the problem with that was reliability, if I remember correctly, there was no more than 20 of these opperationaly at a time durring the war.
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
Interesting. I researched some specs about the Yer-3 and some of the information on this site is quite a bit different from what wiki gave you. I don't know which site to believe but this one gives the Yer-3 much more performance.

http://junebarbarossa.devhub.com/blog/440433-yermolayev-yer-2/

Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
I honestly dont know which to belive either, but its possible that the performance is better on your source due to the different engins in the plane the give specs on, I am assuming, that, while the gas engines give a higher top speed, is it possible that the deisel engins have more tourqe? possibly giving it better accel then the gas? I deffinatly think that the Yer-2 would still be one of the best choices for russian bomber to have, due to its range (something that all other soviet planes are lacking) but i will deffinatly do more research on it, and come back with some solid numbers
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
I would go with the piston engines if for nothing else than more speed.

Speed is life, as warbird pilots say.
Landing is overrated.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »
I hope we would have pistons in any engine that the yer 2 gets no matter what kind of fuel, it doesnt look like it could hold up as a glider lol ;)
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
Reminds me of my son's reaction when I brought home a Citroen DS21:

"That thing is so weird... it's cool!" 

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
+1 to the Yer-2
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

not true, the PE-8 was the only russian bomber that could reach Berlin, and near the end of the war, raided the city on a regular basis.
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
aside from the Yer-2 yes that is correct it did have decent range, but I was only aware of one raid on berlin by Pe-8s, care to share your source?
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
Two primary Soviet bombers were Il-4 (over 5000 built) and Pe-2 (over 11000 built). Compared to them, Yer-2 is barely a footnote.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:36:54 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »
aside from the Yer-2 yes that is correct it did have decent range, but I was only aware of one raid on berlin by Pe-8s, care to share your source?

right here (although i got it reversed, it striked Berlin as well as other German industrial sites early in the war)

http://wikipedia.ketsujin.com/index.php/Petlyakov_Pe-8
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74