Author Topic: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI  (Read 3844 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
There are a few of people who want to perk the spit XVI.  However, as some believe, this spit dose not have any weakness.  I tried to counter what the spit XVI is doing and in some cases i found it to my advantage.  So, for those who are not aware, here is helpful information from Soda's Aircraft Evaluation Pages.

Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI

Be careful, it doesn’t take a fantastic pilot to make a Spitfire Mk XVI dangerous.  It has such quick hitting power and can adjust so quickly to defensive maneuvers that it can be a real handful.

Always assume Spitfires you see are Mk XVI’s unless you know better. If you get over-aggressive and in close with a Mk XVI you can quickly run into real trouble and not be able to escape.  Pick your spot carefully and make your attacks count.  Given the balance in the Spitfire Mk XVI several other aircraft will have either a speed or turn-rate/radius advantage if the speeds get slow.  Spitfires are typically don’t take damage very well, they tend to get holed fuel tanks and lose radiators to even quick snapshots so don’t be afraid to spray a little to try and inflict damage.  A damaged Spitfire tends to have very little time before the fuel runs out or the engine overheats which will force the Mk XVI pilot to be very aggressive knowing his time is running out.  Give yourself some extra leeway to escape if things turn against you.

Getting jumped by a Spitfire Mk XVI is a bad situation so try and avoid the initial attacks with some hard maneuvers.  If you have an opportunity to get in a snapshot, do so, as Spitfires tend to overshoot if they are not carefully being managed well (the huge energy building potential and tendency to attack with lots of alt/speed causes this).  Many aircraft in the late war arena are still going to have an overall speed advantage if they can build a little time to extend from the Spitfire Mk XVI although the margin might be a bit slim.  In general I try and point out on most aircraft a specific weakness that can be exploited but in the case of the Spitfire Mk XVI there isn’t any one thing specific.  It’ll come down to pilot skill and appropriate selection/execution of maneuvers that suit your aircraft. The margins are likely to be small and it’ll be a tough fight
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
There are a few of people who want to perk the spit XVI.  However, as some believe, this spit dose not have any weakness.

The spit16's primary weakness is that it is usually being piloted by a scrub noob.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
Perks should be switched for 16 and 14. It's tough trying to get kills in a 14, 16, not so much.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
The spit16's primary weakness is that it is usually being piloted by a scrub noob.
:(
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
Perks should be switched for 16 and 14. It's tough trying to get kills in a 14, 16, not so much.

The 14 is faster, climbs better, and out accelerates the 16.

Heck, a Spit 14 is only @ 8kias slower (otd) than a 109K, similar acceleration, out turns it and can climb with it.

Methinks you don't fly the Spit 14 that much.

It is a beast down low and an absolute monster high alt.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
The 14 is faster, climbs better, and out accelerates the 16.

Heck, a Spit 14 is only @ 8kias slower (otd) than a 109K, similar acceleration, out turns it and can climb with it.

Methinks you don't fly the Spit 14 that much.

It is a beast down low and an absolute monster high alt.

Absolutely not. The 14 is far from being perkworthy at all.
Unlike the K-4, it's a unstable gunplatform, it's fragile as any Spit, it has serious rolling deficiencies at high speeds, and it has some ugly stall characteristics
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:15:34 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
Absolutely not. The 14 is far from being perkworthy at all.
Unlike the K-4, it's a unstable gunplatform, it's fragile as any Spit, it has serious rolling deficiencies at high speeds, and it has some ugly stall characteristics

Fly it like a 109k that can turn better.

Most just don't have a clue how to fly it effectively.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
The spit 16's biggest weakness is the slow speed turn rate.

The scrub noob pilots that fly it just can't handle more than 2/3 sustained turns.  Before they run out of E and start stalling.  

I will take a spit 8/9 over it all the time.  The 16 is comparable to a Brewster in that you don't want it milling around in a furball but get it strictly 1 vs 1 and you can exploit its weaknesses fairly easily.  This is down to the average persons bad SA rather than crying for it to be perked.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
Fly it like a 109k that can turn better.

Most just don't have a clue how to fly it effectively.

The deficiencies still stand, and that's what it makes not worth it's perks.
There's a reason why it is the least used and least successfull perk plane, despite the very low perk price. It's a difficult plane to fly, but has little decisive edge in any category over even many non perk planes. Just do a direct comparison between the 16 and 14.

Not more perk worthy than a 109K (the fastest prop plane in game from 8-24k btw.)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
I don't know, how bout perking everything that fly's fast and climbs well while we're at it.  Perk the LA7, K4, 190D,Tiff,P47m,Spit 8,9,14,16...

Hell while we're at perk the all the good turny birds to.

Lets just perk everything!

Seriously, spits are so yummy, and they fold up so well with just a couple hits, they're my favorite meal.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
Well i dont know Adolf Galland wanted A Staffelle of Spitfire's HHHMMMMM  :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »

Yup

Spit14 means easy kill in my mind.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
Yup

Spit14 means easy kill in my mind.

Me too, I usually don't have any problems at all killing them in the K4.  the 16s are tougher usually, but still not that awfully tough most of the time, like grizz said, generally piloted by noobs. 

That doesn't erase my hatred of them however.  I hate them so...
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
Well i dont know Adolf Galland wanted A Staffelle of Spitfire's HHHMMMMM  :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh

That's not entirely true, the following is a quote from his book "The First and The Last".

He asked what were the requirements for our squadrons.  Mölders asked for a series of ME-109s with more powerful engines.  The request was granted. "And You?" Göring turned to me.  I did not hesitate long. "I should like an outfit of Spitfires for my squadron." After I blurted this out, I received rather a shock. It was not really meant that way. Of course fundamentally I preferred our ME-109 to the Spitfire.  But I was unbelievably vexed at the lack of understanding and the stubbornness with which the command gave us orders we could not execute - or only incompletely - as a result of many shortcomings for which we were not to blame.  Such brazen faced impudence made even Göring speechless.  He stamped off, growling as he went.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 02:20:07 PM »
Spit16's are the bugs of the sky. They annoy the crap out of you but with one slap of your hand they will die...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy