Author Topic: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI  (Read 3828 times)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
Re: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »
If you know how to use flaps, basically every plane can beat the spit XVI.

38, mossie, A-20, even these big hunks of metal can outturn a spixteen with the use of flaps.

Only if youre in a 1v1 situation though. It's stupid to bleed off energy to pull flaps if theres more than 1 con around.

:rofl Umm, No. Only the 38 would have even a chance of outturning the 16 (of the planes you mentioned) because of it's flap deployment at 250. But the fight slows down fast from there, and the spit16 will come around with ease. Just because you outturned 8675309 once in an a20, doesn't mean it's the norm.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:35:23 AM by TonyJoey »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
:rofl Umm, No. Only the 38 would have even a chance of outturning the 16 (of the planes you mentioned) because of it's flap deployment at 250. But the fight slows down fast from there, and the spit16 will come around with ease. Just because you outturned 8675309 once in an a20, doesn't mean it's the norm.

QFT.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
Hey, that's just what I do.

And unless the spit uses flaps, which it rarely ever will, All the planes with flaps will outurn the spixteen.

Even the A-20 and the mosquito.

It's better not to get into a turning fight with them, but If you absolutely, positively, have to, then these planes will do it if you use flaps.

I use spit VIII's and IX's alot though so I usually dont have to deal with a turning problem.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
Snail covered it well. The 14 is extremely unstable, rolls poorly, and is about as strong and sturdy as a toothpick. The 16 is a Jack of all trades plane that rolls extremely well, climbs almost on par with K4, can dive well, and is an extremely stable gun platform at low speeds. While it does fall apart like the rest of them, I think the 16 is much easier to fly than the 14.

PS: Trying to fit my name in a message is much tougher than lute is ;)

I agree Joey, the stability of the mark 14 is terrible from a gunnery and stalls point of view. The mark 16 is alot better but none surpass the MkV

PS: no kidding
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:27 AM »
If you know how to use flaps, basically every plane can beat the spit XVI.

38, mossie, A-20, even these big hunks of metal can outturn a spixteen with the use of flaps.

Only if youre in a 1v1 situation though. It's stupid to bleed off energy to pull flaps if theres more than 1 con around.

I think you are over exaggerating their performance with flaps down. The Spit 16 will outturn all of those aircraft in both directions. Only a noob in a Spit 16 cant outturn a A20, P38, or Mossie. If you are in the P38 or Mossie, you will want to stall out the Spit 16 first and roll over for the kill. Never fight the Spit 16 on his own terms, and that is turn fighting.

The Mossie, however, can outturn (full flaps in the horizontal) all of those twin engined aircraft except for, perhaps, the Bf110. I know that a Mossie can outturn an LA7 with 25% fuel and reduced ammo.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »

A-20 will eat a 16 in a stall fight

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
I think you are over exaggerating their performance with flaps down. The Spit 16 will outturn all of those aircraft in both directions. Only a noob in a Spit 16 cant outturn a A20, P38, or Mossie. If you are in the P38 or Mossie, you will want to stall out the Spit 16 first and roll over for the kill. Never fight the Spit 16 on his own terms, and that is turn fighting.

He's not exaggerating, rather more of a generalization devoid of any specifics.  In certain situations, a P-38 can out turn a Spitfire Mk XVI but as long as the Spitfire Mk XVI (or any Spitfire) is allowed to stay in the medium speed range (where the Spitfire pretty much out performs most planes in AH) then the P-38 driver can only hope that his death is quick and painless.  However, get the Spitfire Mk XVI (and any other Spitfire) out of it's comfort zone, it's a far more manageable fight for the P-38 driver.  Not saying it will guarantee victory 100% of the time, it will at the least give the P-38 driver a fighting chance at coming out on top.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
He's not exaggerating, rather more of a generalization devoid of any specifics.  In certain situations, a P-38 can out turn a Spitfire Mk XVI but as long as the Spitfire Mk XVI (or any Spitfire) is allowed to stay in the medium speed range (where the Spitfire pretty much out performs most planes in AH) then the P-38 driver can only hope that his death is quick and painless.  However, get the Spitfire Mk XVI (and any other Spitfire) out of it's comfort zone, it's a far more manageable fight for the P-38 driver.  Not saying it will guarantee victory 100% of the time, it will at the least give the P-38 driver a fighting chance at coming out on top.

ack-ack

Yes like Ack-Ack is saying the Spitfire has it's comfort zone's like all other aircraft. And take any aircraft out of these zone's and it's either game over for that particular aircraft. The greatest example of aircraft comfertzone's is the situation and tactic's used by early Wildcat and A6m Driver's ( pilots ). If an F4F fought the A6m on it's terms ( the F4F ) The F4F was very effective against the Zero. But take the F4F out of it's Comfort Zone ( Tactic's ) The Zero would Rule the F4F.

And by comfort zone's i mean the best and proven tactics for the individual aircraft.

And as we have seen the likes of an F4F in the game using the right tactic's for the plane you can still compete with faster and more manoeuvrable aircraft.
At the end of the day the plane is a tool of war. And it's up-to the craftsman to get the best result's from his tool's. :)

And some people may argue over which is the best aircraft for dealing with another aircraft. BUT REMEMBER an aircraft is only as good as the pilot allows it to be and wants it to be. In the end it's the man/woman who flys it that decides  hey I'm going to beat you by fighting my way.  :) :)  :aok
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
care to test that? im ya huckleberry
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
I haven't read much of this great thread..........  But I'll tell you this.......

If I'm on an egotrip and want my name in lights, I default to the 16.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:40 PM »

There are vary few people that can do that, that is you.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
There are vary few people that can do that, that is you.

The only other two that I know that are capable of going toe to toe with a Spitfire mk XVI in an A-20G is Widewing and snaphook.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »

Would be fun to watch.  We all know that only 3-4 folks in this entire game could give a good Spit 16 pilot a run for their money in an A-20.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
The only other two that I know that are capable of going toe to toe with a Spitfire mk XVI in an A-20G is Widewing and snaphook.

ack-ack

Wow Ack-Ack you not commenting on my post WoW or are just ignoring me???

Sorry Ack-Ack i couldn't resist saying it :lol  :salute
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »

sure i,ll go a few rounds

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time