Author Topic: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI  (Read 3842 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
If you know how to use flaps, basically every plane can beat the spit XVI.

38, mossie, A-20, even these big hunks of metal can outturn a spixteen with the use of flaps.

Only if youre in a 1v1 situation though. It's stupid to bleed off energy to pull flaps if theres more than 1 con around.

I want in on this one too.  DA; you try every plane against me in a Spit XVI then report back on which ones you out-turned me in.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Wow, you must be good! :O
In a horde maybe  :devil

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
I want in on this one too.  DA; you try every plane against me in a Spit XVI then report back on which ones you out-turned me in.

hmm lets see,  A6M2, A6M5, brewster, c202, D3A, B5N, 109 E,109 F4, F4U1, 1A, 1D,  F6F, Hurri 1, hurri 2c, I16, Ki84, seafire, Spit 1/5/8/9,  SBD, 

In flat turns I say all of the above may have missed a few.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »

I'll say it now, Spit IX, Spit VIII, Spit V, Spit I, Seafire, A6M, 109F, 109E, F4F, FM2, F4U-1A, Maybe F4U-4, P-39D I think, Maybe Q also, P-38G if I have a great day, La-5 maybe, La-7 Maybe, Fokker D7, Fokker DrI, Sopwith Camel, the other WW1 plane, and I think I'm leaving a couple out.

That's my pre duel predictions.

What time do you want to do this? I'd like to see how I match up against an accomplished pilot flying the spixteen.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »
I'll say it now, Spit IX, Spit VIII, Spit V, Spit I, Seafire, A6M, 109F, 109E, F4F, FM2, F4U-1A, Maybe F4U-4, P-39D I think, Maybe Q also, P-38G if I have a great day, La-5 maybe, La-7 Maybe, Fokker D7, Fokker DrI, Sopwith Camel, the other WW1 plane, and I think I'm leaving a couple out.

What time do you want to do this? I'd like to see how I match up against an accomplished pilot flying the spixteen.

I'll be on tonight... maybe eightish at the latest.

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
I'll be on tonight... maybe eightish at the latest.
Ok.

Pm me in game when you get online.

I'm 49Drunk in game.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
hmm lets see,  A6M2, A6M5, brewster, c202, D3A, B5N, 109 E,109 F4, F4U1, 1A, 1D,  F6F, Hurri 1, hurri 2c, I16, Ki84, seafire, Spit 1/5/8/9,  SBD, 

In flat turns I say all of the above may have missed a few.

I think we could have all named most of those so I won't be surprised.

Where's the Mossie, A-20 and P-38?

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
Let me know when you guys are going to test this. Id like to help out too.

PM me in game 82Plazus
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »

sure i,ll go a few rounds
shoot me a pm when youll be on or when is best for you
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »
Let me know when you guys are going to test this. Id like to help out too.

PM me in game 82Plazus

Hell i will even help by flying a Spit 8 Against a Spit 16 to show it up  :lol  :D  :rock
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »
Hell i will even help by flying a Spit 8 Against a Spit 16 to show it up  :lol  :D  :rock

I'm thinkin' no, no you won't...
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »
Well, we fought several fights.  As the XVI pilot I tried to remain in relatively, but not total, flat turns.

Sandwitch tried the Mossie, 109G-14, F4F-4, Spit IX and P-38G.  About the only fight that he was able to easily out-turn me in was the A6M2.

Here's a film of the fight against the F4F-4 which shows just how slow and how tightly a Spit XVI can turn.  I almost out-turned him in this one:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2zz4ejjiry

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2010, 12:55:48 AM »
Well, we fought several fights.  As the XVI pilot I tried to remain in relatively, but not total, flat turns.

Sandwitch tried the Mossie, 109G-14, F4F-4, Spit IX and P-38G. 

Of course he's going to be out turned in a P-38G doing flat turns against a Spitfire Mk XVI or against any other Spitfire.  Someone that knows how to fight in a P-38 won't be doing flat turns against a Spitfire, we'll be using vertical turns and maneuvering to get an angle for the shot.  Not to knock on sandwich but you didn't fight someone that knows the P-38 all that well if he tried to flat turn fight a Spitfire.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2010, 01:49:03 AM »
Of course he's going to be out turned in a P-38G doing flat turns against a Spitfire Mk XVI or against any other Spitfire.  Someone that knows how to fight in a P-38 won't be doing flat turns against a Spitfire, we'll be using vertical turns and maneuvering to get an angle for the shot.  Not to knock on sandwich but you didn't fight someone that knows the P-38 all that well if he tried to flat turn fight a Spitfire.

ack-ack

I've been in a few of those right on the deck with 16s where the stall horn is blaring and you are waiting to see who stalls out first.  9 out of 10 times the Spit 16 drops a wing first and I can get em in my 38G
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »

ack-ack

Sandwitch was using the vert in most of our fights while I remained mostly in flat turns.  The exception to that was if I got behind him, then I would also use the vert to follow him.

As to the Spit IX for those who claim an VIII or IX will eat a XVI for lunch in a turn, it was virtually a stalemate.   IIRC Sandwitch eventually augered in that one when the fight got slow.

For a guy who's only been playing for around a year Sandwitch did a great job.  Could a more seasoned pilot have done better?  Probably but he accounted for himself well and is one we'll all be watching out for in the future.   

:salute Sandwitch.  Fun fights.  I'd be totally comfortable with you on my wing.