Author Topic: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI  (Read 3898 times)

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
Re: Fighting the Spitfire Mk XVI
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »

BnZs is right the spit's one major weakness / akilisheel is it's in ability to bleed the energy from any dive over 100feet persecond. This if i remember and i probally will be corrected on this But it is nose heavy like a lot of other water cooled fighter's. It doesn't have a nice big air brake upfront like the F4u And P47 and their radial aircooled engine's. Allwater cooled engine fighters Are streamlined from nose con tip to the tail. But the radial end=gee actually work's like a big airbrake that is why they have tremendous dive speed's and are easy to pullout of the dive's.

Come on who is going to argue with me on this  one :)
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
BE is spot on here.

While the Spitfire holds energy great under power, it will also slow down incredibly quickly w/o it.

It is just most Spit pilots don't have the slightest clue what they are doing and tend to fly around full throttle.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »
It is a horrible plane when you have somebody on the stick at the other end who knows how to use it.....come to think of it....this counts for any of the plane set.....yes the spit 16 has many strong points...with the right stick...but so do the others.....My opinion of it is the general way the 16 is used is bad...but yes when you come across somebody who uses it right it does seem like it has no real weakness...but I find this with the likes of the KI84 also.... all this just comes down to though, is my need to learn more..... the monster plane in my mind, is the K4....this is one plane that seems to have the choice to engage and disengage at will....once again..the stick counts though.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2010, 04:32:08 PM »
BE is spot on here.

While the Spitfire holds energy great under power, it will also slow down incredibly quickly w/o it.

It is just most Spit pilots don't have the slightest clue what they are doing and tend to fly around full throttle.

WMLute if you read some of the Spitfire vetrans books and note's an stuff. They all comment that the Spit V and abouve where great at diving but getting out of the dive was the tricky bit even to a skilled pilot. that is why we lost so many Spits to the 109 as it could slow quiker thus the Spit over takes or overshoots the 109. :)

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
WMLute if you read some of the Spitfire vetrans books and note's an stuff. They all comment that the Spit V and abouve where great at diving but getting out of the dive was the tricky bit even to a skilled pilot. that is why we lost so many Spits to the 109 as it could slow quiker thus the Spit over takes or overshoots the 109. :)

None of those authors fly AcesHigh or are good sources of references for how the Spitfire behaves in this game.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2010, 05:12:58 PM »

You can maintain a much more controlled dive (i.e. keep it from getting too fast) in a Spit than you can in a 109 and it's much easier to pull out of even though the dive speed may be faster. 

The 109's generally continue to gain speed in a dive even with the throttle off.  In an extended dive you're forced to cross-control so as not to stiffen the elevators beyond the point that you can trim out.  You rarely if ever have to cross control in a Spit; simply reducing throttle holds it well within it's dive paramaters.

And speaking of overshooting, while you might reduce throttle to saddle up a shot there are other ways to prevent an overshoot even at maximum throttle and those methods might actually be preferable in order to maintain E.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
Odd, I've never seen that commented on even once.  I have seen it stated in regards to the Bf109 though.  I think you have it backwards.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
Odd, I've never seen that commented on even once.  I have seen it stated in regards to the Bf109 though.  I think you have it backwards.

I may have but i'm sure that the like's of the Mk16 and beond had the same problem. As speed's got higher and the movable control surfaces werent increased in size to sufficiently handle the stronger force's encountered.

As i believe that Mitchell's original design of the Spitfire's Airframe could only be sufficent up-to certain speed' like 425 knot, 450 mph or sumit like that. ????

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
I may have but i'm sure that the like's of the Mk16 and beond had the same problem. As speed's got higher and the movable control surfaces werent increased in size to sufficiently handle the stronger force's encountered.

As i believe that Mitchell's original design of the Spitfire's Airframe could only be sufficent up-to certain speed' like 425 knot, 450 mph or sumit like that. ????

You have it backwards.  Everything you're saying matches everything I've read about the 109's and is counter to everything I've ever read about Spitfires.  Beyond that the in-game models support the accounts by pilots in WWII.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
You have it backwards.  Everything you're saying matches everything I've read about the 109's and is counter to everything I've ever read about Spitfires.  Beyond that the in-game models support the accounts by pilots in WWII.

HHMM it is looking like i have got it backword's oops i just went and reread the book i was reading oops sorry  :)  :salute

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
I just want to know what's with the guys that bring a Spit 16 to a fight where they have both alt and numerical advantage over the enemy. To me, that's the LAST plane I'd bring if I wanted to add to my 7k perk tally.
==========

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2010, 07:06:17 AM »
I just want to know what's with the guys that bring a Spit 16 to a fight where they have both alt and numerical advantage over the enemy. To me, that's the LAST plane I'd bring if I wanted to add to my 7k perk tally.

Name in lights...mostly.  Those looking for a challenge look for the XVI last on the list.  It deserves a small perk cost, as does the LA-7, just to make those flying it pay attention to what they're doing ;)
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2010, 09:37:54 AM »

Name in lights...mostly.  Those looking for a challenge look for the XVI last on the list.  It deserves a small perk cost, as does the LA-7, just to make those flying it pay attention to what they're doing ;)
[/quote]

Thats agreeable that one perk it for around 15 perk's then the new player's shant have the aircraft's ability's thus they wont get killed alot in it. They shall have to work up the skill's to fly it and bring it back down safely. HHHmmm good idea that one is :)  :aok  :salute

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »
Name in lights...mostly.  Those looking for a challenge look for the XVI last on the list.  It deserves a small perk cost, as does the LA-7 and P-51, just to make those flying it pay attention to what they're doing ;)
Fixed for you if you want to be consistent.  Personally I don't think any of them require any perks whatsoever.

Late war tour 125 2010-06-01 to 2010-06-30

Plane Name Kills Deaths Kill/Death Ratio

P-51D: 21467 17995 1.19
Spitfire Mk XVI: 18347 16347 1.12
La-7: 10221 9006 1.13
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
Fixed for you if you want to be consistent.  Personally I don't think any of them require any perks whatsoever.

Late war tour 125 2010-06-01 to 2010-06-30

Plane Name Kills Deaths Kill/Death Ratio

P-51D: 21467 17995 1.19
Spitfire Mk XVI: 18347 16347 1.12
La-7: 10221 9006 1.13

The problem with that stat is they are subjective.  A lot of people that fly them do not how to fly them correct. If we where to have something set up that only people who knows how to fly them, there will be a big difference.  And that goes for any AC too. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group