Author Topic: CVs, Puffy Ack and Base Taking  (Read 2197 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
CVs, Puffy Ack and Base Taking
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »
I'd be interested in people's opinion about the current use of CVs and their puffy ack in regards to Base Captures?

In maps where this is a lot of water, it seems the prevalent tactic is to drive a CV up to a field, park it there primarily for the puffy ack and then grab all the kills you can. At one point we had a base that had 3 cv groups parked around it, making it extended suicide to even try to defend it.

Is this interesting to people? Seems a bit of a misuse of the CVs. It seems to run counter to the idea of having a fight that is interesting.

What do you folks think?
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: CVs, Puffy Ack and Base Taking
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
yeah CVs came come in way too close to the shore. especially with the ridiculous puffy ack.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
Good point RT! It would seem an easy fix to limit how close the CVs can come to shore. I doubt very much that any responsible TG commander would bring his vulnerable ships to rock throwing distance of the shore.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
nvm

self imposed #2,#4 and #13 I think.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:52:41 PM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:36:17 PM »
It doesn't bother me. If it starts to, I sink it.  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
nvm

Was going to point out a couple absolutely brilliant tactics to prevent fleets from coming close to a base but I'll let someone else handle it.

My tactic actually is lacking somewhat in difficulty. An 8K set of B26's, 500lbs. bombs, salvo 4,... sunk.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »
lol thndr
Strokes

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
Possibly changing SB- shore battery locations up would help. I did see bish try to cap an enemy rook CV last night, with spitfires to funny. :rofl
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
When they drag them that close to a base the old trusty manned gun will sink the entire fleet.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
My tactic actually is lacking somewhat in difficulty. An 8K set of B26's, 500lbs. bombs, salvo 4,... sunk.
to digress a bit: they flew high alt CAPs over CV groups for a reason Egg... And an 8k set of buffs can easily be dispatched by a wing of 4 F4Us or F6Fs. Sadly, nobody ever thinks to CAP around the CV while their allies are furballing below them
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
What really needs to happen is to make the base flash when the CV gets within a certain distance, or AT LEAST when it starts shelling the base / town.  As it is now, you can completely flatten a base with a task group, and never make it flash until you up the LVT to take the maproom.  By then all the hangars are down and there is nothing you can do about it.

It's kinda silly that you can drive a task force almost onto the beach, in complete secrecy, but the base flashes for a single PT boat. 

***G3-MF***

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
What really needs to happen is to make the base flash when the CV gets within a certain distance, or AT LEAST when it starts shelling the base / town.  As it is now, you can completely flatten a base with a task group, and never make it flash until you up the LVT to take the maproom.  By then all the hangars are down and there is nothing you can do about it.

It's kinda silly that you can drive a task force almost onto the beach, in complete secrecy, but the base flashes for a single PT boat. 

+1

I'm sure someone woould have seen THE BIG SHIPS approacing the shore.

Make the base flash at 12 miles like for planes.  At least 3 miles like for gv's.  Run a Jeep up the flag pole.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
Not if they are double super secret big ships!  :uhoh
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
I guess creating SAG's (Surface Action Groups) maybe with a CVE attached would be asking too much from the developers?  That way the CV's could be limited to deep water like they're supposed to be?  Plus, we'd have BB's :)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
At a lot of bases its entirely possible to drive the CV group very close to shore but due to the limitation of the panning of the shore guns, they can't be hit. Then the puffy ack suppresses all aerial forays against the CV group.

Personally, I feel the puffy ack is exceedingly accurate out to the limits of its range (i.e. no degradation over distance). The way it currently modeled, it automagically targets a plane the moment it breaks 3k. No transit time apparently for these shells, they are just there. It appears that there is a hemisphere of death surrounding the CV group with the flak shells already there invisibly in space and anything that breaks into that sphere is immediately surrounded by flak bursts. Throw in the manned guns and 2 or more CVs in the area and its just not worth the candle. Dying for zero gain isn't a rational path.

It only takes 3 guys with CV command access to suppress the efforts of many on the opposing side. Seems to be a tad imbalanced.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers