Author Topic: Still like the changes?  (Read 6333 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Still like the changes?
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2010, 09:15:08 AM »

What if there was a team in your league that used a "special" pool cue that allowed them to sink all their balls with their first shot.
(humor me)

Now, if they didn't get all the balls to drop in that first shot they almost always lost, as they were not really very good at the game,   but at least half the time (or more) they manged it.

Now lets say that at first, most teams didn't use this "special" pool cue as they felt it lame and kinda gamey.
(but couldn't deny it was effective when it worked)

Over the years more and more teams started using this type of "special" pool cue and it started becoming the norm as opposed to the exception.

While this was happening the teams using the "special" pool cue started talking a whole lot of smack and were constantly crowing about how much skill they have in the game of pool when they beat the other teams.

Then one day the league outlawed that "special" cue and all those teams that used them went from bragin' about their skill to crying about how it was impossible to win a game now.

Would you then...

a) laugh at these teams and make fun of all the bragging they have done over the years
b) attempt to show them how to actually PLAY pool
c) a little bit of both

(I am a C btw)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »
What if there was a team in your league that used a "special" pool cue that allowed them to sink all their balls with their first shot.
(humor me)

Now, if they didn't get all the balls to drop in that first shot they almost always lost, as they were not really very good at the game,   but at least half the time (or more) they manged it.

Now lets say that at first, most teams didn't use this "special" pool cue as they felt it lame and kinda gamey.
(but couldn't deny it was effective when it worked)

Over the years more and more teams started using this type of "special" pool cue and it started becoming the norm as opposed to the exception.

While this was happening the teams using the "special" pool cue started talking a whole lot of smack and were constantly crowing about how much skill they have in the game of pool when they beat the other teams.

Then one day the league outlawed that "special" cue and all those teams that used them went from bragin' about their skill to crying about how it was impossible to win a game now.

Would you then...

a) laugh at these teams and make fun of all the bragging they have done over the years
b) attempt to show them how to actually PLAY pool
c) a little bit of both

(I am a C btw)

I probably wouldn't say a damn thing, why should I care what they say or how they play?
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »
WMLute, there are people playing this game that don't take it as seriously as you do.  Your posts often mention things like "work hard and put the time in with better sticks" (I'm paraphrasing) and also remind us how you are a better player than these guys.  Maybe some people don't want to work at getting better and just want to have some fun - this is a game after all.  It is easy perhaps for you to look down on these players and chastise them for their lack of skill and tactics when you already have the skill.  I find it curious though, as to why (if you want better fights) you predominantly fly the N1K against these "lesser" players.  Apparently, you like things the easy way too.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Last night was my first real chance to play them. 

1) 65 feet is draconian.  I launched off of a CV, and didn't want to pinpoint it's location with my dar-dot.  Failed miserably, if anyone was looking.  ( I seriously need to practice flying IFR at deck level, because I simply cannot judge altitude at all over water  - 5 ft looks no different than 200 ft.   It just feels so wrong to be watching guages at deck level.

2) Radar settings were a bit hard to get used to - I kept misjudging distances -  but all in all it was much easier to tell what was going on where and plan accordingly.  With the smaller circles, I'd often launch to find that I'd mis-read the radar information, and either by the time I got to where the fight was it was done or hadn't actually been there in the first place.

3) There were people on, and fighting, all over the map.  I was able to fly for a good hour and a half before I was too tired to continue, and I didn't once have to make Hobsen's choice - the "fly against 5 to 1 or join the horde and be one of the 5 v 1" that's been so common over the last few months.  It was a VERY pleasant change. 

All in all, if last night was a result of the changes and not an isolated event, I'd consider it well worth the minor inconveniences caused by the changes.   

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2010, 12:03:21 PM »
WMLute, there are people playing this game that don't take it as seriously as you do.  Your posts often mention things like "work hard and put the time in with better sticks" (I'm paraphrasing) and also remind us how you are a better player than these guys.  Maybe some people don't want to work at getting better and just want to have some fun - this is a game after all.  It is easy perhaps for you to look down on these players and chastise them for their lack of skill and tactics when you already have the skill.  I find it curious though, as to why (if you want better fights) you predominantly fly the N1K against these "lesser" players.  Apparently, you like things the easy way too.

I've flown the Nik now for a good 6-7yrs as a "main" ride.   I also tend to have kills in 20+ diff planes each tour.

The Nik isn't what I would call a "uber" ride.   (like it used to be back in AH1)

It's two main points are it's ammo load and 4 cannons.

Slow.

Mediocre climb (but good nose up in a fight)

Average roll.

Good turn but outclassed in a turn by many, many rides.

Not quite sure what your point is.

I find several other rides much easier to get kills in,  (F4U, Spit, etc) but the niki's combination of legs, ord, ammo (top 10 town killer, great deacker, etc) suits my flying and fighting style the most.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2010, 12:58:45 PM »
I've flown the Nik now for a good 6-7yrs as a "main" ride.   I also tend to have kills in 20+ diff planes each tour.

The Nik isn't what I would call a "uber" ride.   (like it used to be back in AH1)

Slow.

Average roll.

I find several other rides much easier to get kills in,  (F4U, Spit, etc) but the niki's combination of legs, ord, ammo (top 10 town killer, great deacker, etc) suits my flying and fighting style the most.

Ya but it makes you a NIK dweeb !   :neener:   j/k

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
Let me clue you into something.

It doesn't take a hoard to take a field.

Funny, 'cause last time I saw anyone with "WM" in front of their name it was someone I killed (admittedly, that one was by blind luck on my part, but still...) in the group of about 15 nits attacking half that number of bish at 127 late last night and getting nowhere. My last flight there I got 3 kills, got killed by a swarm, and went elsewhere to do something more interesting with my squad - which, by the way, was taking bases all night with "hordes" of 7-8 guys - because mindless brute force attacks are no fun from either side, even when racking up kills.

Do blowhards like you and bustr have any idea how juvenile it is to make every discussion about disparaging the skills and dismissing the opinions of everyone who disagrees with you? I suppose not. Anyway it's a good way to see who has no actual point and has to resort to nothing but constant personal attacks to have anything to say.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »

Some people play to just have fun. Stay with me here. They have fun in a different way, a simpler way. While your fun may be becoming the best little game pilot you can be, their fun is just flying around with a group of people working together to achieve an objective.

You don't have to be the best to have fun. You don't even have to fight to have fun.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
I've flown the Nik now for a good 6-7yrs as a "main" ride.   I also tend to have kills in 20+ diff planes each tour.

The Nik isn't what I would call a "uber" ride.   (like it used to be back in AH1)

Slow.

Average roll.

I find several other rides much easier to get kills in,  (F4U, Spit, etc) but the niki's combination of legs, ord, ammo (top 10 town killer, great deacker, etc) suits my flying and fighting style the most.
They refer to it as a dweeb plane because of the fact that the 900 20mm cannon rds make up for the average plane characteristics :P
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
which, by the way, was taking bases all night with "hordes" of 7-8 guys

yeah, like anybody is gonna believe THAT happened.

Unless of course you forgot to add the word "undefended" in that sentence in which case everyone will go "Ahh, ok I buy that then".

Face it Loki, y'all have a reputation and it ain't a good one.

They refer to it as a dweeb plane because of the fact that the 900 20mm cannon rds make up for the average plane characteristics :P
I only use the 800 round loadout when I fly it.

Does that make it less dweeby?   :neener:
— George Patton

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
Groundfeeder,

I grew up during the Cold War on military installations around the world. I was born on one in North Africa near Casablanca. I've known Generals and command officers on down. Your "Lives of the Men" humanity argument from your perspective is modern progressive civilian canard. All soldiers lives are valuable to a general. The general is a general because he can throw every last one of those lives away because that is a soldiers part of the war process. War eventually comes down to men throwing their lives away in combat in the hope it matters. The difference between a civilian and a warrior is  the warrior chooses to and the civilian has to be coerced.

This is a game with unlimited lives. Stop hiding in the radar holes................
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
Groundfeeder,

I grew up during the Cold War on military installations around the world. I was born on one in North Africa near Casablanca. I've known Generals and command officers on down. Your "Lives of the Men" humanity argument from your perspective is modern progressive civilian canard. All soldiers lives are valuable to a general. The general is a general because he can throw every last one of those lives away because that is a soldiers part of the war process. War eventually comes down to men throwing their lives away in combat in the hope it matters. The difference between a civilian and a warrior is  the warrior chooses to and the civilian has to be coerced.

This is a game with unlimited lives. Stop hiding in the radar holes................

ITS A GAME !!!! Dont care how long you played....dont care about your skill set.....that has nothing to do with everyone else in here, you guys like to furball.....fine, furball in the DA. You aint a warrior and your nothing close to a general....I am not HIDING in radar holes...you are hiding in the horde! An aspect of the game has been lost. PERIOD. All you want is a 50 cent arcade game where you put forth no effort in finding an enemy. you just want red dots to shoot. There is a place for that...I'll tell you again since you seem a bit lost.....THE DA. Your opinion is that we should all spawn at 10 k and duke it out.....thats boring ...anyway you look at it ...its boring. The great thing about this being a game is no single person in here needs to be coerced to fight. we all PAY to do it, but we also enjoy different aspects of the game. A goon driver is a coward because he isnt fighting? A guy who spends 25 min getting to alt is a coward because he dosent want to get blasted out of the air by a 262 as soon as he gets to alt? Your perception of a cartoon war and a real one is very muddled...Besides, if ya wanna be a warrior ,you need to watch my 4 year old....

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »
     Of course the great thing about a game is that losing is relatively painless.  If you never take a chance
chances are you will probably never improve.  Of course maybe that's irrelevant to you, results vary.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »
So a player who likes to takes bases, but wants there to be a fight involved, is a furballer who in groudfeeders book should go to the DA for that?

Did I understand that post correctly?
— George Patton

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
yeah, like anybody is gonna believe THAT happened.

Unless of course you forgot to add the word "undefended" in that sentence in which case everyone will go "Ahh, ok I buy that then".

Face it Loki, y'all have a reputation and it ain't a good one.

sounds about right from every engagement I've had, new name same old s***.