Author Topic: Still like the changes?  (Read 6329 times)

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Still like the changes?
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
I like it. Its easier to start a fight. If  don't want fly with or fight against a horde I can go to a empty base and people will start upping. Started a big one last night that ended up getting out of hand but its fun. I like it.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
I thought it was to help defenders of said base horders. It was put in place because of the abuse IMO. Il ike seeing the noe horde come in just cant kill all the lemmings all the time. ;)

Thats my point! now the horde is bigger and the end result is the same as before, and it isnt the noe horde anymore. People see 20 + aircraft rule in and they wont up. If they do happen to catch them a ways out the horde blows by, and ....well.....hordes

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
I havent noticed an increased size of NOE hoarders... But maybe thats just because I spend most of my time outnumbered shooting the red guys.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
I can understand HT's reasoning for changing the NOE ceiling, but never really understood the reason for the dar range change.

The reason for the range change is very simple. Hitech stated that with the old settings the arena favored the sides (all sides) being all offense and no defense. The reason for the range increase is to allow time for more defenders to have some chance to get into a position to defend (ie get a plane up off the field, and get some alt before the fight).
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
I thought it was to help defenders of said base hoarders. It was put in place because of the abuse IMO. Ilike seeing the noe horde come in just cant kill all the lemmings all the time. ;)       Don't get me wrong sky25  I too was noob and enjoyed base taking noes. You can still do it just up 65 ft. now.

Yet I grew bored after awhile and said what can I do more interesting in this game? I've seen 5 organized guys take a base faster than 20 tards waiting for a vulch on the runway before. Just a thought.

I have been playing about a year and a half. Yes, I am still a noob when compaired to the old timers playing the game. Playing alot over 1 1/2 years is long enough for anyone to get a good feel for the game and figure out what he likes to do and what he doesn't like to do. During that year and a half, I have become a fairly good NOE flyer in a 110 and tank driver. . I have to say that, I do not think some of  the best pilots in the game can hold 65' or lower for more than a few sectors. I say this only become some of the best pilots in the game have said on these forums that they have trouble holding 65' over hilly terrain. Before the changes, I could hold 100 and under easily. Why do people think that all noe base takers are 2 week noobs? I know that many of the guys that I take bases with using NOE tactics have been playing for many years, and are very good pilots.. Some guys like furballing and some guys like base taking. I think the argument that all NOE flyers are noobs doesn't hold water. After playing for 1 1/2 years, I still enjoy the base taking aspect of the game. Flying in the furball just never really appealed to me. As far as taking bases with 20 people. I have taken many by myself using GV's and 110's. I nobody wants to up and defend a v-base while I am over there de-acking it with an m-8 or a 110 G2  thats there problem. The stealth, and surprise aspects of the game are what appeal to me. Just my opinion on the subject for what its worth.. :salute :salute :salute Some guys like furballing and some like toolshedding.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:44:13 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
The reason for the range change is very simple. Hitech stated that with the old settings the arena favored the sides (all sides) being all offense and no defense. The reason for the range increase is to allow time for more defenders to have some chance to get into a position to defend (ie get a plane up off the field, and get some alt before the fight).

But we always had darbars, which were telling signs if some really big was brewing up, and you could often tell a lot about mission direction, probable composition, size and alt just by watching the darbar. It's not that bigger missions could really "sneak" across the map unless being NOE.
And this exactly was the fun.. to try to get information, to deduce exactly that kind of data, and then to take off and to intercept. Learning to read the map. This arguably still miniscule bit of thinking was one of the reasons that made AH still playable for me after all those years :)

Of course, many just never chose to do so. You know, that big enemy mission moving at snail pace across the map for 40 minutes, finally being shadowed by friendly fighter who start to call out exact location, heading, altitude... and when 20 minutes later the hangars are going down, the country channel was full off "WTF? where did that come from?" ;)

Now, the single bomber trying to go on a long range sortie, as well as the lone wolf fighter of a totally outnumbered country trying to slow the horde are suffering most from the extended dar circle.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:35:28 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 05:58:18 PM »

Now, the single bomber trying to go on a long range sortie, as well as the lone wolf fighter of a totally out numbered country trying to slow the horde are suffering most from the extended dar circle.
This will affect the Nits the most based off their style of game play.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »
This will affect the Nits the most based off their style of game play.

Been flying knits since coming back, i can't figure what style we have besides some masochistic fascination with getting our CV's sunk and captured.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
Been flying knits since coming back, i can't figure what style we have besides some masochistic fascination with getting our CV's sunk and captured.
Hello sailor.

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »

yeah....i HATE the new changes means the entire squad im in will have to change tactics and both our CO's are unable to fly :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:10 PM »
dont like any of it, dont think it has improved gameplay, although 500' was a bit too generous for NOE, 65' is too low, would have preferred 200'.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
dont like any of it, dont think it has improved gameplay, although 500' was a bit too generous for NOE, 65' is too low, would have preferred 200'.

I think 200 would still be too easy, many NOE missions did fly under 200' anyway due to widespread misinformation about dar altitudes in the main.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 06:51:51 PM »
easy for experienced players sure, new guys had major problems with even 500' iirc. then again I have squaddies been playing for years had trouble with 500'. although I think their alcohol content may have been a factor :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »
Hello sailor.
:salute

I like the new changes, actually possible to fly cover over cv's and get to incoming Buffs. I mean we still lose just at a slower rate  :D

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
  I don't really mind the lowering of the dar although 65 seems to low to me, such a drastic change that it feels as if HT did it in a sudden fit of rage...   100 would be a better compromise in my op but I can live with 65 I'm not much for NOE unless I am in my UBER GOON OF DEATH!!!!

The increase in dar range is where I think things are messed up really.  I'm much more of a bomber type guy and it was fun dodging through the dar circles, choosing a flight path if you will in an attempt to get my flight of buffs to some distant target before being swarmed.  As it is now it's just up, get as high as you can and head directly at the target no need to change course anywhere.

Before I condemned the large dar rings as a bad move I decided to try the porking method to open up a nice swath of rook land leading to the factory. I upped a flight of KI-67's and climbed to about 28K  and made a large circle in the north east bombing 7 dars on my rout and taking out a P-51 and a 109 on the way back through and before I had landed what type of reward did I get?  Several of the dars were already back up and functioning in the order that I had popped them giving no time for any real use of my efforts to be made in some form of strat raid on the factory.   Now I would hit the dar factory to increase the down time of the dars so that when I killed them they would stay down longer but there in lies the paradox... 

In order to help facilitate getting to the factory I want to drop dars but they don't stay down long enough to really make them a viable target to help a long buff run to the factory. So we need to hit that factory wayyyy back there behind all that dar to make them stay down longer after we hit them so we can have a better chance to get the raid in on the factory that we........  Wait a minute what?     The mission deep into enemy territory will be over and there will be no need to pork the dar once we land.   

It might matter if we were doing multiple runs to the factory in an evening but most usually don't have that type of time on their hands so 1 long bomb run seems to be the limit.   

In short HT if you want to keep the larger dar rings you need to modify some strat settings/placement but I think our friendly snail has it right, leave a little bit of the hunt in the game.  Some times I enjoyed taking up a nice slow TBM or something to go lvl bomb with and you bet I did all I could to stay out of dar with that tub or any of the other slow lightly defended bombers in game lol, it's next to suicide to get caught with a bay full of ord in those trying to bomb anything and now with these settings they looks like an above dar goon crawling toward a base :)  Can you say easy kill? lol

If I'm in my 26's on the other hand I just have to say......  Do ya feel lucky punk???  Well do ya?   :D
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech