Author Topic: Cap'n'boot - refined version  (Read 5939 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Cap'n'boot - refined version
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
But will people like this change over more then the current?
Assume 12:00 switch over which it would not be, it would be later. My guess is the people who play from 11 - 1:00 would like it less, people who play from 12:01 to 1:30 will like it better. People who play 1:30 on it would make no difference.

HiTech

HiTech, as long as proper countdowns are given (Up to one hour), I don't think anyone will mind it.  

The main issue will be selecting the appropriate time to initiate the 2 arena dynamic caps.  As it works now around mid day, One arena is forced to fill up from scratch.  This new idea would force Two arenas to fill up from scratch.  What you have going for you though is of course the massive amount of players that just got booted who are coming right back in.  Assume it is only the 150 players who were in the Daytime arena that are coming back though.  You will now have 75 in Nighttime 1 and 75 in Nighttime 2 if you set your caps system up correctly.  You are banking on the influx of nighttime US players trickling in right at this time for this to work well.  Otherwise you risk having a 2-3 hour block of bad gameplay in both arenas.  So in closing, I really think the 'switch' needs to be made around 5-6 Eastern Time (time based purely on observation of player spikes)

Now, the Win the War guys who were working on a map in, Daytime Arena, are going to be ticked if they can't get back into that arena if you don't save the map and go to two new Nighttime Maps.  Imagine playing all day on Daytime map, getting booted, and then being forced into Nighttime Arena 2.  That would piss some people off.  If it got saved, they could simply 'pick up where they left off' the next day, no harm no foul.  So for your two quoted proposals you posted earlier, Imho, you need to have all maps save during boots.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
Option 1 is surely the easier and more elegant one. But as already has been pointed out, everybody would rush to get back into A at all costs after boot, to finish that battle/basetake they had been at.

So I would go with option 2. Of course the current  war status would have to been saved at that moment. But the more I think about that, the more I tend to believe only field ownerships & CV locations should been saved, not destroyed objects like town buildings or field ack.

I think option 2 would be the better of the two because it gives those getting the boot another "carrot". With the "boot" kicking everyone out to play in the night time arenas, those being kicked will know that they can start where they were in the day time arena, with the map "as it was".

It also would be nice if each of the two LW arenas would have a distinct touch that would make players more inclined to make one of them their "home", so that's it's not just all about whatever arena happens to have the biggest number of players. I just have no idea how.

I don't think we need this. In AW we had Euro and Pac and "never the twain shall meet" was pretty much the rule of the day. Splitting the community into "home arenas" no matter how you do it would hurt more than help. What is needed is a reason for players to throw away that issue and learn that EITHER arena is the best arena.

Tower squatters should be auto logged off after 20 minutes especially during the day. Anyone who is afk longer than that is interferring with people who want to get in the arena and actually play. 20 minutes is more than enough time to make a head call, grab a beer and make a sandwich.

While I agree that tower squatters should be booted there really isn't any way to grab them. If you dump tower people after 20 minutes they will just up a tank in some out of the way area a squat there. Then you have to figure out which tanks are squatting and which tanks are are spawn camping  :neener:  The mass reset is really the only way to get it all cleared.

HiTech, as long as proper countdowns are given (Up to one hour), I don't think anyone will mind it. 

The main issue will be selecting the appropriate time to initiate the 2 arena dynamic caps.  As it works now around mid day, One arena is forced to fill up from scratch.  This new idea would force Two arenas to fill up from scratch.  What you have going for you though is of course the massive amount of players that just got booted who are coming right back in.  Assume it is only the 150 players who were in the Daytime arena that are coming back though.  You will now have 75 in Nighttime 1 and 75 in Nighttime 2 if you set your caps system up correctly.  You are banking on the influx of nighttime US players trickling in right at this time for this to work well.  Otherwise you risk having a 2-3 hour block of bad gameplay in both arenas.  So in closing, I really think the 'switch' needs to be made around 5-6 Eastern Time (time based purely on observation of player spikes)

Now, the Win the War guys who were working on a map in, Daytime Arena, are going to be ticked if they can't get back into that arena if you don't save the map and go to two new Nighttime Maps.  Imagine playing all day on Daytime map, getting booted, and then being forced into Nighttime Arena 2.  That would piss some people off.  If it got saved, they could simply 'pick up where they left off' the next day, no harm no foul.  So for your two quoted proposals you posted earlier, Imho, you need to have all maps save during boots.

To me the later the better, and I think the 5-6 Eastern time would be good. It gets it done before the influx of the US players and it give the Euro players the longest time on the "daytime" map.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
Figuring out when to the the switch is fairly simple. It would simply when when there are enough to fill up both. My guess is around 3 or 4 central, but I would have to look at the daily counts.

HiTech

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
definately like option 2.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »
Vote 1
proposal 2
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
any chance you could look at the tower afkers for long times problem too HT? some stay afk on the game for hours. personally i believe this would relieve discontent over the caps also...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2010, 09:59:19 PM »
lol, we have a squady who is afk for days sometime,lol.  I yell at him all the time for it.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »
any chance you could look at the tower afkers for long times problem too HT? some stay afk on the game for hours. personally i believe this would relieve discontent over the caps also...

I very much doubt it.

HiTech

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 01:33:36 AM »
I very much doubt it.

HiTech

Yay.

Double entendre.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 05:44:06 AM »
I very much doubt it.

HiTech
quick answer. i'll say no more then <S>
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
I brought this back for Vox and those going on about the caps....

I very much doubt it.

HiTech

The nice thing about the opening and closing of the day time/night time arenas would be that no one would be logged on 24 hours strait "holding" a spot in any arena. With the arenas being opened and closed twice a day it would boot those holding a spot.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »
if it means one arena up until 10-11pm euro time then we will be very happy   :aok.

also a higher ratio of small maps with it.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:30:55 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »
so it looks like this will be implemented:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,300387.0/topicseen.html

, although the switchover will be 3pm CST/9pm GMT.

although HTC has said they will never kick players for inactivity, theres no problem with kicking active players apparently :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
Doesn't look like a bad idea really. The European folks will finally have a better setup.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »
it works better all around i believe. cant wait for this to be implemented...
Happy Jack's Go Buggy