Author Topic: Saitek x36 problem with xp  (Read 922 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Saitek x36 problem with xp
« on: October 21, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
Not sure which forum to post this one to...

Putting new system togeather and cant get anything beyond basic X36 use 1 4 way hat fire buttons...no other directx even though stick shows as configured in xp...any ideas??

AMD 1.4 gh chip
ASUS A7M266 MB
Turtle Beach santa Cruz soundcard
Xstasy 5564 with nvidia xp ref drivers
512 mg 2100 ddr mem

No conflicts anywhere I can find.

From what i've read on bbs saitek should have basic dirx for all 32 ....any idea where i goofed?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2001, 07:37:00 PM »
I may be totally wrong here, but from what I understand, Saitek has not released drivers for its produts (X36) for WinXP - and does not plan on doing so until early next year.  *shrug*

Nim/Larry

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
So I've read here a couple times...but it seems that the dirx buttons are still supported...wondering if anyone has more than a 4 way hat going   :(

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
What do you mean by:

cant get anything beyond basic X36 use 1 4 way hat fire buttons...no other directx even though stick shows as configured in xp

Are you saying that the buttons don't work in the Game Controllers control panel? They should. Windows XP does have drivers for the X36. They work perfectly on my system.

Fat lot of good that does me, without the SGE. Because Aces High has never recognized correctly more than the X36's first 8 DirectX buttons in the joystick setup plus the first hat switch. Even under Win9x, they've never worked if you don't install SGE.

In this case, it's not a problem with XP not recognizing the buttons, because it does, it's a problem with AH - well, not completely with AH.

Because it would be a real pain to configure anyway, even if AH did recognize all the DirectX buttons, because of the way both mode switches work: they're actually 3 DirectX buttons each. So one button is always stuck on (9 to 11 for the mode switch, and 12 to 14 for the auxiliary one). The result is that you can't correctly map buttons in AH, since button 9 (or 10 or 11) is always on because of the mode switch, so when you try to map a button, it's always button 9 that is selected.

You have to face the fact: without the software to control the X36, don't bother trying to use the X36 under Windows XP.

If you want to fly in AH, you have no choice, you have to revert to the Win9x family, at least for the time being.

Much to my personal frustration, I had to reformat everything and install a dual boot Win98/WinXP system. (I really hate Win9x.)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
Figured the same thing...thanx for taking time to reply...sitting here getting to load me on system as dual boot :(

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
I share the pain.   :(

Saitek Support USA told me the Windows 2000/XP compatible software would be released before the beginning of next year.

Which means we have at least two months and a half to wait, if not more. (I've been waiting for that Windows 2000 compatible software for a full year: it was "due" for Fall 2000)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm using an x36 as well, no xp though.  Seems to me that you should be able to use the gaming extension jobber to simply map the buttons you want.  Just change it to "actions" and use the keypad buttons to set it.

CRASH

Originally posted by humble:
Not sure which forum to post this one to...

Putting new system togeather and cant get anything beyond basic X36 use 1 4 way hat fire buttons...no other directx even though stick shows as configured in xp...any ideas??

AMD 1.4 gh chip
ASUS A7M266 MB
Turtle Beach santa Cruz soundcard
Xstasy 5564 with nvidia xp ref drivers
512 mg 2100 ddr mem

No conflicts anywhere I can find.

From what i've read on bbs saitek should have basic dirx for all 32 ....any idea where i goofed?

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
That's the problem, CRASH, the Saitek Game Extensions software doesn't work under Windows 2000, nor does it work under Windows XP. Have you read my previous post?    :p

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: DrSoya ]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
Just wondering, but have you tried running it with XP using it's functionality to trick the software into thinking it's running in 98?  There should be something in the shortcut properties to let you do this.

Now if the problem is what I think it is (SGE wants direct access to the hardware, and you can't do that in the NT kernel), it won't work anyway.  Worth a shot though, and I'm interested to hear what would happen.  You never know, XP's emulation deal might let the program run.... give it a shot.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
I already tried installing SGE 3.0 over WinXP. The program installs itself, but the way it works is that you have to wait to be asked by the software to plug the X36 into a USB port, after a reboot. And when I plug in the X36, XP detects the X36 and installs it with a generic driver that comes with XP, not the Saitek driver which SGE installs (and which never worked in Win2k anyway). So the installation of SGE stalls there, and I have no way of finishing it.

SGE is installed, but does not see the X36.

I tried installing the Win2k drivers before running the SGE3 install, but it didn't work either.

Offline SkyKing

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
To get around the "always on" mode buttons, i disabled them under setup>joystick>select joystick. By doing this I was able to see all of the other buttons and able to map them in AH. I did lose the one mode setting but hey i have most of my functions mapped in AH now.

What I really want to do now is find someway to trigger the RW Mic from a stick or throttle button.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
SkyKing...did you get the hats to work properly...and are you running XP...I couldnt get more than 1 4 way hat to work in AH....even though it shows as an 8 way hat when viewed in the control panel joystick area of xp

Offline SkyKing

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2001, 07:28:00 PM »
humble - Im using ME  but all the hats work. I use the number maping method in the joystick maping section of setup.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2001, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by SkyKing:
To get around the "always on" mode buttons, i disabled them under setup>joystick>select joystick. By doing this I was able to see all of the other buttons and able to map them in AH.

Oh. OH! <Knocks itself on the head> Of COURSE! Why didn't I think of it?   :)

SkyKing, I could     you but I'll settle for a virtual    .

:D

What I really want to do now is find someway to trigger the RW Mic from a stick or throttle button.

Easy. Just map the button you want to KeyMic in the Stick mapping / Global Keys, map the right key to KeyMic in the Keyboard mapping / Global Keys, and make sure RogerWilco is enabled in AH. The <END> key doesn't seem to work though, but <F12> does.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: DrSoya ]

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2001, 04:14:00 PM »
Humble, that's because the default stick mapping in AH doesn't map more than 4 views. Once you unmap the mode and auxiliary switches in the Joystick setup, you'll be able to map the remaining 4 views to the hat switch.

I've got everything working but the rotaries, the rudder rocker and the mode and auxiliary switches.

Make sure you download the latest Win2000/XP driver from Saitek: they updated it during the last two weeks.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: DrSoya ]