Author Topic: town/base capture  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: town/base capture
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »
I will have to give a -1 to the smoke plume from map room when town is down and a definite -1 to the town being only 75% down.

This new town layout is a gvers wet dream.  There are a lot of good spots for a tank to sit, but there are some definite sweet spots for a TD or towed AT gun to sit.  The town is more realistic as well, as something that small generally did not have fixed AA emplacements, but was instead, defended by ground vehicle's and towed AA.  Makes me wonder if we'll get towed AA and/or AT guns eventually.  I doubt the towed AA would be used much (unless it's the 8.8 cm FlaK  :devil), but the towed AT would probably get used a little bit.

The two problems I have with the Ship Tracers/SB tracer are, 1) Makes it that much easier for a 5in gunner to pick you out of the sky, 2) and the most important one at this moment, you can see it through anything, and I do mean ANYTHING.  I can see it through buildings, my AT gun's shield, trees, mountains and even through the cockpit of my aircraft.  Now I do like the tracer's (looks so friggen cool when both cv groups are completely manned), but me thinks the tracers shouldn't be seen through solid objects.  :lol

The new town layout helps against someone soloing the town.  No more lone flaks coming in to level the town in one minute, then bailing to sneak m3 in.  If they go in alone, it's going to take them a little time to level the town on their own.  At THAT point, it's the defending country's fault for not paying attention or giving a spit.  :lol  You can't land a goon next to the map room either, adding to the realism.

The only problem I see at this point is, just like the old towns, people will get use to the orientation (like it would actually matter that much w/old towns  :lol).  If only the towns would be random with their direction (IE North of town will not always be facing North, if that makes any sense).  I'm not saying, it changes every time it switches hands, but each time the map is reset.  Example: A163's town will have it's N pointing SE.  Until you fly over, or get into town, you won't be sure of how it might be defended, quickest way to map room, etc.  I think this would help game play wise, although it would likely be a coding NIGHTMARE.  :lol :aok  What do you guys think about that?  If the coding wasn't an issue, would town directional layout be something you'd like to see?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »

The two problems I have with the Ship Tracers/SB tracer are, 1) Makes it that much easier for a 5in gunner to pick you out of the sky,

If 5" gunners are picking you out of the sky using the trails then more power to them.

Trails only show for HE rounds not AAA rounds.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
The only problem I see at this point is, just like the old towns, people will get use to the orientation (like it would actually matter that much w/old towns  Hehe!).  If only the towns would be random with their direction (IE North of town will not always be facing North, if that makes any sense).  I'm not saying, it changes every time it switches hands, but each time the map is reset.  Example: A163's town will have it's N pointing SE.  Until you fly over, or get into town, you won't be sure of how it might be defended, quickest way to map room, etc.  I think this would help game play wise, although it would likely be a coding NIGHTMARE.  Hehe! Thumbs UP!  What do you guys think about that?  If the coding wasn't an issue, would town directional layout be something you'd like to see?

Just like any field or factory, towns can be rotated by the creator during the terrain making process.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »
bases are really really easy to deack. i deacked a small airfield with 1 LALA and no damage

:rofl

LOL!!! 

That post, along with the "dirt burgler" phrase from an earlier post has made this the most humorous thread in a long time.  Thanks for the laughs. :D
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
If 5" gunners are picking you out of the sky using the trails then more power to them.

Trails only show for HE rounds not AAA rounds.

wrongway

That would mean he's got a good shot.  :lol  Or it would mean that there was someone using HE against my plane while another was using AAA.  I haven't jumped into the 5" yet, so I wasn't aware of just HE rounds showing trails.  :noid

Just like any field or factory, towns can be rotated by the creator during the terrain making process.

I'll use the Trinity map, A114 and A145 towns as an example.  Say we get it for TT and at A114, the Town's N is pointing N while A145's is pointing S.  Somehow, one of the 3 sides manages to reset the map by Thursday (As we know, TT's map becomes LWO).  Now, by Saturday, the map is reset again and the next map used is Trinity again.  This time you head to A114 and A145 towns, A114's is now facing SE while A145's is pointing W.  It would be coded so the server would change each of the town's to a random direction when it generates the map.  This is what I was getting at.  Hmm...maybe do the same with the fields too.  The only base that wouldn't be affected would be the ports.  That would spice things up a little bit. :x
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »
I don't know if people have mentioned this, but the new town design coupled with the visible 8inch shells will make the shore bombardment sneak a lot harder.  You'll have to spread your shell hits out more and it will be harder to flatten the whole town with just cruiser fire, so an air strike or tank LVT's will become more of a necessity.

Also, has anyone noticed if the troops will still rush the map room if you have to let them out just inside the town?  I mean, if there's a good pub or something nearby....

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 01:16:25 AM »
It seems that to capture a field, all ppl are necessaries!
It becomes a number question only!?

:salute

mobilis in mobile

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »
I can make 2 passes with a formation of Lancasters (500lb bombs) and take down 90-95% of the town... easily.  Throw in another formation of bombers... or a few planes with cannons... and the whole thing can be taken down within 5 minutes.. ESPECIALLY considering there is no ack in town.

It's just a matter of relearning things.

And yes I know ack is coming soon, but the biggest problem with the changes is that people are too busy complaining and not busy enough learning it all...

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 02:23:45 AM »
It seems that to capture a field, all ppl are necessaries!
It becomes a number question only!?

:salute

Yesterday, there was a good sized furball between Bish A222 and Knight A221 in Pink.  We rolled 1 x M4A3 (75 w rockets) and 1 x T84/85 with HE only, and an M3.  Ten minutes later it's a Bish base and the Knights are going ... WTF?   :headscratch:

I really don't think all that much has changed other than unfamiliarity at the moment.  This too shall pass ...

Now by the same token last night, Bish had a yacht off A251 on the Knight front, massive, massive numbers also known as an uber horde, control of the airspace, an LVT that has made the rather long trek all the way into town parked for 5 minutes and waiting and after much calling for visual check of town, at troop release ... WAIT, here's one, ... how do you spell "bust"?

Co-ordination, attention to detail, systematic approach, ... not much has changed except that the towns just got a whole lot more interesting.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »
Yeah, that's the biggest tactical change...the town being spread out means you have to be more accurate with building clearing.  You can't just cruiser it to death.  I'd say having fighters on station and maybe even an LVT tank (I don't know what they're called, sorry) are necessities now.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
The maps need to shrink in size, new towns have changed the whole game, other parts have to addapt, including the old hands. <S>

I was thinking the same thing. The front lines seem to be much more... static now. They've lost their plasticity. Otherwise.... I LOVE the new details, Field layouts and such!!  :aok :aok
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields