Author Topic: WWII online  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: WWII online
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
Do you get better exp in Standard battles over Recruit with the Leichtraktor? Was wondering if it was worth it...
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »
You playing in the standard battles?  I'm still in the recruit battles until I grind out all of my Tier II light tanks and train the crews up. Plan on using my existing crews in my new tanks, I take a slight hit to their training level but it's better than starting off at 25%.

Hopped into a standard battle today in my Tier 1 Ltraktor, actually managed to live long enough to light up some targets for our artillery but a T-34/85 put an end to my fun and games.

ack-ack

I've been just jumping ahead to the next tier as fast as i can since everything will be cleaned out when it opens. Once you hit Tier 3 you have no choice but to go to the standard battle, so i've been getting murdered by heavy Tanks and Leopards. Damn leopards run circles around everything and have a good enough gun to kill tier 3 and 4 tanks with 2-3 shots.

Do you get better exp in Standard battles over Recruit with the Leichtraktor? Was wondering if it was worth it...

not sure i didn't leave the recruit area till i was forced to.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
Do you need an individual invite code to get the beta, or is it possible to use someones else's code to get the game?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »
Do you need an individual invite code to get the beta, or is it possible to use someones else's code to get the game?

The codes bind to an account. One time usage. I don't know if they bind before they are activated though...

I'd also like to add that saving 250 gold for the 24Hour Premium account is well worth it. Just make sure you've got a bit of time that day to make it pay off. I've been stuck in Tier V for a few days now (26k exp for my VK3001P) and am only 9k in after fully upgrading everything except for my radio. I would have never gotten that far in without spending 2-3 hours playing with a premium account though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:02:55 AM by Qrsu »
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
The codes bind to an account. One time usage. I don't know if they bind before they are activated though...

Well that sucks, I hope that they are still giving out beta accounts and that I didn't apply to late.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »

Yeah, you get more XP but you really don't survive long enough to 'earn' it so to speak. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »
Back on topic.
Signed for ww2online free trial yesterday, played several sorties as rifleman. Thas was lots of fun, friendly units running around, shoots everywhere, no sight of enemy though :huh Suddenly i died, still wondering what the hell is going on :headscratch:
Yeah, lots of fun,  hmm  :huh
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »
AH and Bad Company2 are the only two computer games i play

Same here.  I tried WWII Online, but it can be a very fustrating experience.  Spawn too far away, and it's a 30 minute walk into battle only to be sniped as soon as you're within range of a town.  I ruled the skies in my Bf-109 when I did manage to fly - with lots of complaints that I was 'spamming' the sky til I started strafing the front lines. They didn't like that - next thing I know I have like 4 or 5 spitfires on me and a tonne of AAA opening up.  I shot them all down and then died when I ran out of fuel and tried to land.  Flight model is similiar to that of an arcade game.

Game is kind of interesting in that it's an all-encompasing battle with lots of vehicles - but I get that fix with Bad Company 2, BF 1942, ARMAII etc - all at fraction of the $180 a year it costs.  Throw that on top of AH costs, it can get expensive - wifeack gets grumpy with me if I spend too much on puter stuff... :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Same here.  I tried WWII Online, but it can be a very fustrating experience.  Spawn too far away, and it's a 30 minute walk into battle only to be sniped as soon as you're within range of a town.  I ruled the skies in my Bf-109 when I did manage to fly - with lots of complaints that I was 'spamming' the sky til I started strafing the front lines. They didn't like that - next thing I know I have like 4 or 5 spitfires on me and a tonne of AAA opening up.  I shot them all down and then died when I ran out of fuel and tried to land.  Flight model is similiar to that of an arcade game.

Game is kind of interesting in that it's an all-encompasing battle with lots of vehicles - but I get that fix with Bad Company 2, BF 1942, ARMAII etc - all at fraction of the $180 a year it costs.  Throw that on top of AH costs, it can get expensive - wifeack gets grumpy with me if I spend too much on puter stuff... :D

yea i tried it out for a bit and quickly realized i wouldn't enjoy it to much. the flight model was like an arcade game and view system a nightmare. BFBC2 will have to do and maybe I'll try out BF 1942 for my WWII ground fix.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
ok i LOVE aceshigh and ive heard recently about this game anyone here a player (or ex player) and can explain how this game works etc. etc.

im probley just gonna do a 2 week trial,NOT leaving aceshigh!

Jay,

I am a former WW2OL player, was on the German High Command for a little over a year. Ill give you the run down.

Currently there is three countries to choose from, France, Great Britain (Both Allies/One team) and Germany (Axis). You can choose which country you want to be in and then after choosing you can choose one of three careers for each country (Not a permanent choice), Navy, Airforce, and Army. Each career you have a separate ranking, you start as a recruit with basic weapons then with each rank you gain you have access to more weapons and abilities, such as creating missions and ect.

The game is played on ONE map on ONE server, the map is a half scale replica of Europe and the object of the game is to capture enough towns for your country to win the war. On average a war, or campaign, lasts from 30 - 45 days. The weapons for all sides start out as they did in early WWII, 1939, and as the RDP (Research Development Production) cycles complete more advanced tanks, airplanes, AT guns, ect. will become available. An RDP cycle typically takes about 6-8 days to complete at full capacity, however factories are connected to each country and they directly affect the production cycle depending on their damage taken from bombings, so bombing raids have a tremendous effect on the tide of war. If you constantly harass your enemies factory you can delay their RDP cycle for a few days, giving you a few days to kick some oscar.

To capture a town there is typically 4 - 6 capture points or, CPs, with 1 - 2 army base or , AB. You must capture the AB in order to kick out the enemy and keep them from spawning in the town, you MUST capture all ABs and CPs to capture the town and be able to move a brigade in to spawn and defend or to launch another attack. Each CP and AB has a table that you stand by, or near, and you wait till it is captured (Just like in Battlefield).

The game is an open world just like AH, and just like in AH there are places where action does not happen for hours and hours. Luckly the map will tell you where the action is, it will tell you which town is being attacked or being defended. Along with that people are able to deploy Mobile Spawn Points, these are usually located near a town out of danger, you can spawn from these points as long as they are up...they can be up for as long as they want until they are destroyed by the enemy. (MSPs are just transport trucks)

Get involved with some of the higher ups, you will be able to get attack orders and also nation-wide messages to help get people join your attack. You need attack orders in order to be able to capture a town, without an attack order the tables for the CPs and ABs will not be there. HC, High Command, members are the only ones able to post messages to all your allies in all careers in all brigades and are the only ones able to post attack orders.

Here is a series of videos that I watched that tremendously helped me when I first got started:

http://www.snoopstuff.com/

The videos are a little old but alot of the information given still applies and it is very valuable.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:40:48 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 02:52:58 AM »
Back on topic.
Signed for ww2online free trial yesterday, played several sorties as rifleman. Thas was lots of fun, friendly units running around, shoots everywhere, no sight of enemy though :huh Suddenly i died, still wondering what the hell is going on :headscratch:
Yeah, lots of fun,  hmm  :huh

you have to learn to pull up the map to see where other players have marked enemy sightings as well as REALLY pay attention to audio clues.

thing with dying in ww2ol is that unlike other games, you really never know WHAT kills you unless you happen to be looking at it (or shooting at it and you get shot back). It could be a tank that you failed to see that shot you from far away with its machine guns, couldve been a plane strafing the ground and hit you (or dropped a bomb and you got caught in the blast)... or enemy infantry.

the later is sometimes the most common cause of death when you play infantry ;)

Most likely what happened was an enemy infantryman who was under cover saw you and shot you. he couldve been to your left or your right or even behind you.

The campaign was won by the Allied side and we are now in intermission. Intermission is a full-gear 1 week period where dying and scoring or capturing stuff doesnt matter... so just get in there and die like crazy and learn the game. feel free to look me up if you play allied.

the game has a steep learning curve so dont feel bad.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:10 AM »
Well that sucks, I hope that they are still giving out beta accounts and that I didn't apply to late.

Just got mine yesterday. you should still be able to get in

<S>

Mbailey
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2010, 08:36:34 AM »
Graphics are just a little too rich for my poor ol' steam-chicken PC. Looks good though.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
Playing as Infantry in the game is fantastic, i like to play either sniper or sapper roles, nightime is great for busting tanks with explosives, or sniping unsuspecting enemy infantry not paying attention, Playing as a Tanker or AT gun is extremly fun because there is so much ground cover and ditch's, to use for cover but you better make the first shot count, The Flak 88's rock in the game, hearing them go off is real life as one would sound, as far as the grafics im running Sli'd  XFX 285GTX's all my settings are on high and i get about 105 to 140 Fps ( depending on the size of the battles) in AH im getting 165 to 180 Fps in 1920x1080 in HDMI
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Well, i realize i was usually killed by enemy infantry, sometimes i see them after being killed, often not :joystick: I even manage to kill few, thanks to intermission (and SMG). My main problem, i almost never see a single enemy, though other ppl seems do. Sitting somewhere for hours in hope for unsuspecting enemy isnt my fun, just like dieing from campers. Also, i dont like idea with limited number of units.
It dont looks like kind of game i can have fun with, sadly.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou